•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

How can I get a mini PC to boot up without a monitor?

Accessories Astrophotography Equipment Software Beginner
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Northrim

Northrim

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: New Jersey

Posted 05 August 2022 - 02:08 PM

Just got help with one question now I have another:

I'm trying to set up a mini computer to ride on my OTA and control everything.

I'm using an Awow mini PC with Windows 10 Pro.  I use Remote Desktop and Teamviewer to control the PC.

The mini PC boots up just fine when I have a monitor connected to it and I can control it from my tablet phone or laptop.

My problem is that when there is no monitor connected (like at my imaging site) and it has been powered off for awhile, the PC will not boot up far enough to allow me to connect to it.

Do I need one of these HDMI dummies?  HERE  or is there a setting I can change so it will boot up without a monitor?  I've seen something about making a change to the registry but I'm a bit hesitant to mess around with the registry.  I'm not super computer savvy.

Anyone know the fix to this problem?

Thanks

Taylor

#2 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Voyager 1

• Loc: Moreno Valley, CA

Posted 05 August 2022 - 02:17 PM

Where does it stop? You don’t need a password, for instance.

And, I just think it wise to throw in a small lcd monitor and wireless keyboard/mousepad for those times you may not be connecting on the remote interface.

Alex
  • CCD-Freak likes this

#3 Flybob

Flybob

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland

Posted 05 August 2022 - 02:28 PM

Disable Login . 

Go to Settings > Accounts > Sign-in options.
Find the Require sign-in section and turn its status to Never. ( Check box)

This is all I had to do for my mini pc.  Also if you are running Win 10 home on the inside PC I will post an easy link to enable RDC so teamviewer is not required.

To enable RDC in Win 10 Home use link below.

https://www.youtube....h?v=g5UifL61yJo

Edited by Flybob, 05 August 2022 - 02:32 PM.

• galacticinsomnia likes this

#4 james7ca

james7ca

Voyager 1

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 05 August 2022 - 03:46 PM

Yes, an HDMI dummy plug could help. In fact, it's not just booting that could be affected as I've seen some PCs that will boot fine without a display but then will exhibit seemingly unrelated problems when using remote access software. That said, some PCs will work fine without a display (i.e. headless) or even without an HDMI dummy plug, so YMMV. All of my newest mini PCs (a GigaByte BRIX and an Asus PN41 work without a dummy plug).

#5 BucketDave

BucketDave

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Bristol, UK

Posted 05 August 2022 - 05:07 PM

I power up my NUC and connect it to my laptop with a crossed ethernet cable. I can then login to it using remote desktop.

Before i got it properly configured, i did run it with a keyboard, mouse and monitor attached.

The following assumes you're running Windows.  For another computer to talk to it, both the computer and the mini-pc both need to be running two services (fdpHost and FDResPub).  One service listens for incoming signals, the other transmits. Both services need to be set to run at start-up.  On my mini-pc, one service wasn't running, so i went into Task Manager, right clicked on that service and changed it to run at start-up.   It took me two days to figure that lot out and to get both services running from power-on!  Since then, it's worked perfectly in headless mode.

Edited by BucketDave, 05 August 2022 - 05:12 PM.

#6 dswtan

dswtan

Apollo

• Loc: Morgan Hill, CA

Posted 05 August 2022 - 06:25 PM

The setting may be in the BIOS rather than the registry. Honestly if you don't want to mess with that, the dummy HDMI will *probably* fix this for you. On my Intel NUC, fortunately, I don't remember I had to set anything to use what is termed in the trade, "headless" booting -- no monitor, no mouse/keyboard. Just power and wifi. Bulletproof. Bliss. I did need to connect a monitor, etc. to set up the remote desktop software initially -- I use AnyDesk, but lots of options there, all valid.

• jdupton likes this

#7 bendgrampie

bendgrampie

Mariner 2

• Loc: Bend, OR

Posted 05 August 2022 - 07:34 PM

On a Mele Quieter3, it just works once RDP is enabled. No HDMI or other things required.

#8 DaveB

DaveB

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Maryland

Posted 05 August 2022 - 07:52 PM

Yes, an HDMI dummy plug could help. In fact, it's not just booting that could be affected as I've seen some PCs that will boot fine without a display but then will exhibit seemingly unrelated problems when using remote access software. That said, some PCs will work fine without a display (i.e. headless) or even without an HDMI dummy plug, so YMMV. All of my newest mini PCs (a GigaByte BRIX and an Asus PN41 work without a dummy plug).

This issue happened to me. I had an Azulle PC stick that would boot but didn't work remotely without a monitor, so I used one of those HDMI dummy devices that OP mentions (plus a female-female adapter), and then it worked fine. I believe that this issue depends on the remote protocol that you choose. I may have been using TeamViewer at the time, I don't recall. I couldn't use RDP because the stick PC wasn't running Windows Pro.

On my two newer mini-PCs, I don't need a monitor, but I'm using RDP. But they have different BIOSes from each other. On one, I can set it to power up automatically whenever it is plugged in, but on the other one, there is no BIOS setting to allow that, so I need to push the power button. Obviously not a big deal, just another thing that I occasionally forget to do...

I'm just making the point that any advice given here may or may not apply to your particular PC, as there are many subtle differences between different models.

#9 dx_ron

dx_ron

Apollo

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 05 August 2022 - 08:07 PM

Different BIOS have different options. I have a Beelink and could not find any BIOS setting to allow boot without a monitor - so I use a dummy HDMI (the package of which says it comes from "Your one-stop mining shop").

#10 Northrim

Northrim

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: New Jersey

Posted 05 August 2022 - 08:37 PM

Disable Login . 

Go to Settings > Accounts > Sign-in options.
Find the Require sign-in section and turn its status to Never. ( Check box)

This is all I had to do for my mini pc.  Also if you are running Win 10 home on the inside PC I will post an easy link to enable RDC so teamviewer is not required.

To enable RDC in Win 10 Home use link below.

https://www.youtube....h?v=g5UifL61yJo

Thanks for the advice.  I tried this and it seems to have worked.  I also went in to netplwiz and removed the requirement for login.  I've tested it a few times (including just now) and so far so good.

Where does it stop? You don’t need a password, for instance.

And, I just think it wise to throw in a small lcd monitor and wireless keyboard/mousepad for those times you may not be connecting on the remote interface.

Alex

Alex,

I think it was stopping just before the point where it asked for login.  I believe part of the BIOS just would not load.

Yes!  I've looked on Amazon and I'll be getting a cheap mini monitor and keybord/mousepad to keep in my kit to deal with emergencies.  I'll probably also get the HDMI dummy as well since it's only $7.

Tuesday night I had the Pegasus Astro Pocket Powerbox micro and the mini pc crap out on me.  Luckily I was running the mini from the table just like I do my laptop so I could just swap in the laptop and still get in some imaging.  I managed to get some good data on M 12 and M 27.  I won't be attaching the mini to the OTA until I've done a lot more testing including another night in the field.

New toys are so much fun.

Thanks everyone for your help.  I agree that this is a problem that can be very different for different mini PCs.  I appreciate all your advice.

Clear Skies everyone!

#11 galacticinsomnia

galacticinsomnia

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Pacific Northwest - Oregon

Posted 06 August 2022 - 04:50 AM

Home and pro here work fine without any modification.  Just when you get your miniPC make sure you are using a Local account, and the machine isn't stuck looking for the internet.  :)

Clear Skies !!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Accessories, Astrophotography, Equipment, Software, Beginner

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics