•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Issue with my refractor

Accessories Beginner Eyepieces Refractor Tripod Optics Mount
  • Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Astronomygeek

Astronomygeek

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 August 2022 - 06:09 PM

Hey guys I  purchased literally a $20 50mm scope on Amazon 2 and half years ago I've a seriously serious problem with it when I saw moon (or any celestial body) I saw 6 images of it through my scope!!!! The image is same with both supplied 20mm eyepiece and 4 mm eyepiece (the ghostly reflection appears in both eyepieces) so the problem isn't with the eyepieces. Can I make it right???? And it's got a very trembling mount it's very light weight how can I replace it ????(the mount means a simple tripod) it's upper part always an head ache....... 

• Skywatchr and ColdyNitesNC like this

#2 Astronomygeek

Astronomygeek

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 August 2022 - 06:11 PM

For the beginning there was no problem after a few months this problem appears out of nowhere.....

• ColdyNitesNC likes this

#3 Barlowbill

Barlowbill

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Tulsa, Oklahoma

Posted 05 August 2022 - 06:29 PM

I don't know of a polite way to respond.  Were I to be impolite, I would say trash it.  You would be better off with an inexpensive pair of binoculars.  Good luck

• tog, Skywatchr, sevenofnine and 2 others like this

#4 Kim K

Kim K

Mariner 2

• Loc: Eastern NM

Posted 05 August 2022 - 06:31 PM

Is the objective lens broken?

#5 Skywatchr

Skywatchr

Gemini

• Loc: North-Central Pa.

Posted 05 August 2022 - 06:38 PM

Hey guys I  purchased literally a $20 50mm scope on Amazon 2 and half years ago I've a seriously serious problem with it when I saw moon (or any celestial body) I saw 6 images of it through my scope!!!! The image is same with both supplied 20mm eyepiece and 4 mm eyepiece (the ghostly reflection appears in both eyepieces) so the problem isn't with the eyepieces. Can I make it right???? And it's got a very trembling mount it's very light weight how can I replace it ????(the mount means a simple tripod) it's upper part always an head ache....... 

Spotting scope?  The prism is probably out of place.  But for $20 it won't hurt to try to fix it.  Otherwise get another one and have some reserve eyepieces.

#6 ColdyNitesNC

ColdyNitesNC

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Nevada City, Ca

Posted 05 August 2022 - 07:00 PM

There are a couple of ways you could look at this. You say you now see six images instead of one. Are any of those six images clear? If so, you essentially have a telescope that is equivalent to having six for the price of one, or three dollars and thirty-three cents per scope, a remarkable bargain. If these images are not clear, then I would not put much effort into trying to repair the scope.

This brings you to the second way of viewing this situation: A good opportunity to get a slightly better scope than this one. You could get a small dobsonian that would be substantially better than this scope. Even if you spend ten times what you paid for this scope, you're still only out 200 dollars. 

Edited by ColdyNitesNC, 05 August 2022 - 09:05 PM.

• gnowellsct likes this

#7 vtornado

vtornado

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NE Illinois

Posted 05 August 2022 - 07:20 PM

Can you post a link to it, or a picture?

Does this telescope include a right angle diagonal, and is it removable?

An easy thing to test is to remove the diagonal and try again to see if that is the culprit.

Given the gross nature of the issue, daytime terrestrial image would also exhibit this issue.

Try a far away radio mast, utility pole or tree top.

VT.

#8 just_a_future_astronomer

just_a_future_astronomer

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 05 August 2022 - 07:58 PM

As BarlowBill stated, you'd be better off with binoculars.

I wouldn't recommend replacing the mount, as a new mount would cost more than $20. 

Edited by just_a_future_astronomer, 05 August 2022 - 07:59 PM.

#9 Stellar1

Stellar1

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Juuuust outside Toronto

Posted 05 August 2022 - 08:05 PM

A scope and mount for $20? i can’t imagine, please post an image if you can, I wouldn’t place too much hope in this. It may be a good time to cut losses on this one, If time is money, the time you spend trying to find a solution will eclipse the price of the scope…fast.

Edited by Stellar1, 05 August 2022 - 08:16 PM.

• KWB likes this

#10 KWB

KWB

James Webb Space Telescope

• Loc: Westminster,Co Elev.5400 feet

Posted 05 August 2022 - 08:29 PM

A scope and mount for $20? i can’t imagine, please post an image if you can, I wouldn’t place too much hope in this. It may be a good time to cut losses on this one, If time is money, the time you spend trying to find a solution will eclipse the price of the scope…fast.

Imagine some more because it can be done. I paid $9.00 for this 70mm/400mm F/5.5 being closed out at Walmart. I had to try it because a Dominos Pizza cost twice that amount. Believe it or not, optically this scope using a real diagonal and a 20mm GSO Wide View produces as respectable an image as any ST80 I've ever owned.

It's everything else that's bad about this setup. The included diagonal, Huygens eyepieces and table top mount that makes this setup or the one of OP just about useless for viewing the night sky. Or terrestrially as well IMHO.

FWIW, it sounds like the 6 images seen in the scope of the original post were caused by the scope being dropped or getting banged. I've never heard of anything like this just happening before out of the blue.

mjL4cGN.jpg?1

• SteveG and ColdyNitesNC like this

#11 ColdyNitesNC

ColdyNitesNC

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Nevada City, Ca

Posted 05 August 2022 - 08:48 PM

Imagine some more because it can be done. I paid $9.00 for this 70mm/400mm F/5.5 being closed out at Walmart. I had to try it because a Dominos Pizza cost twice that amount. Believe it or not, optically this scope using a real diagonal and a 20mm GSO Wide View produces as respectable an image as any ST80 I've ever owned.

It's everything else that's bad about this setup. The included diagonal, Huygens eyepieces and table top mount that makes this setup or the one of OP just about useless for viewing the night sky. Or terrestrially as well IMHO.

FWIW, it sounds like the 6 images seen in the scope of the original post were caused by the scope being dropped or getting banged. I've never heard of anything like this just happening before out of the blue.

mjL4cGN.jpg?1

I assume this scope was made in China. So, figure everything that had to happen for you to get this scope. It had to be designed and manufactured. Artwork had to be produced and a box manufactured. It had to be put on a boat and shipped from China to the USA. It had to be off loaded and sent to a warehouse. At some point it was trucked to a Walmart store. Then YOU had to shell out 9 dollars to buy it. I'm guessing nobody made too much profit here.

• KWB likes this

#12 KWB

KWB

Posted 05 August 2022 - 08:57 PM

Even though I "knew" what I was getting before I bought it, I actually wanted to test it's glass objective using quality accessories to see if were a functional telescope. It is and I learned something that I can file away in my memory bank. The $9.00 lesson was worth it to me. Walmart probably lost money on the scope.

And for all others out there, I suggest avoiding this type telescope.  smile.png

#13 Stellar1

Stellar1

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Juuuust outside Toronto

Posted 05 August 2022 - 09:01 PM

Even though I "knew" what I was getting before I bought it, I actually wanted to test it's glass objective using quality accessories to see if were a functional telescope It is and I learned something that I can file away in my memory bank. The $9.00 lesson was worth it to me. Walmart probably lost money on the scope.

And for all others out there, I suggest avoiding this type telescope.  smile.png

A noble endeavor and knowledge gained.

• KWB likes this

#14 sevenofnine

sevenofnine

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Santa Rosa, California

Posted 05 August 2022 - 09:15 PM

I hope this falls into the category of a lesson learned, sir wink.gif

#15 KWB

KWB

Posted 05 August 2022 - 09:29 PM

I hope this falls into the category of a lesson learned, sir wink.gif

Not really. I'll do it again if the opportunity strikes for another telescope design falling into my hands for an unbelievably low amount of money. The world doesn't need another review of a TV-85 because just about everyone knows the excellence of this fine refractor.

There are a lot of novices out there that are attracted to these bargain priced entry level telescopes and I think they should be made aware of the shortcomings and any positive one of these scopes may actually possess. Something beside the average rave reviews these things get a lot of the time on Amazon.com. 

• Skywatchr and Stellar1 like this

#16 betacygni

betacygni

Apollo

Posted 05 August 2022 - 09:32 PM

Tear into it and see if you see anything obviously wrong/broken. Might get at least $20 in experience of how optics look on the inside.

Attached Thumbnails

• 6BC1C084-68B6-4F49-8836-5CC185DCE530.jpeg

• Skywatchr and gnowellsct like this

#17 Astronomygeek

Astronomygeek

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 August 2022 - 10:39 PM

Spotting scope?  The prism is probably out of place.  But for $20 it won't hurt to try to fix it.  Otherwise get another one and have some reserve eyepieces 

It's a refractor sir not a spotting scope

Edited by Astronomygeek, 05 August 2022 - 10:47 PM.

• Skywatchr likes this

#18 Astronomygeek

Astronomygeek

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 August 2022 - 10:39 PM

Is the objective lens broken?

No sir

#19 Astronomygeek

Astronomygeek

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 August 2022 - 10:43 PM

There are a cofo of ways you could look at this. You say you now see six images instead of one. Are any of those six images clear? If so, you essentially have a telescope that is equivalent to having six for the price of one, or three dollars and thirty-three cents per scope, a remarkable bargain. If these images are not clear, then I would not put much effort into trying to repair the scope.

This brings you to the second way of viewing this situation: A good opportunity to get a slightly better scope than this one. You could get a small dobsonian that would be substantially better than this scope. Even if you spend ten times what you paid for this scope, you're still only out 200 dollars. 

The six images are clear but as soon as I move to edge of the fov on both size the image gets dinner and dimmer (the Middlebury image is clearest and the last images on both sides are not clear) when I saw Venus I through for a second that it was Jupiter cuz.of those reflections

#20 Astronomygeek

Astronomygeek

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 August 2022 - 10:44 PM

Can you post a link to it, or a picture?

Does this telescope include a right angle diagonal, and is it removable?

An easy thing to test is to remove the diagonal and try again to see if that is the culprit.

Given the gross nature of the issue, daytime terrestrial image would also exhibit this issue.

Try a far away radio mast, utility pole or tree top.

VT.

It has a diagonal sir if I saw through the scope without the eyepiece only diagonal on it I'd see good image without any of reflections

#21 Astronomygeek

Astronomygeek

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 August 2022 - 10:46 PM

Iume this scope was made in China. So, figure everything that had to happen for you to get this scope. It had to be designed and manufactured. Artwork had to be produced and a box manufactured. It had to be put on a boat and shipped from China to the USA. It had to be off loaded and sent to a warehouse. At some point it was trucked to a Walmart store. Then YOU had to shell out 9 dollars to buy it. I'm guessing nobody made too much profit here.

My scope also looks like this but without finder and it has metal finish

#22 Astronomygeek

Astronomygeek

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 August 2022 - 10:49 PM

Tear into it and see if you see anything obviously wrong/binside ken. Might get at least $20 in experience of how optics look on the inside.

I've saw it and no issue at all nothing is broken but the focuser which can with it has a shiny finish inside maybe this could be the reason

#23 Skywatchr

Skywatchr

Gemini

• Loc: North-Central Pa.

Posted 06 August 2022 - 07:13 AM

It's a refractor sir not a spotting scope

A spotting scope IS a refractor.  It simply has an additional erecting prism.

You never described the "scope" nor disclosed every detail of what you have already done.

-- Details matter.

#24 Astronomygeek

Astronomygeek

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 August 2022 - 07:20 AM

I've not done anything sir

A spotting scope IS a refractor.  It simply has an additional erecting prism.

You never described the "scope" nor disclosed every detail of what you have already done.

-- Details matter.

#25 briansalomon1

briansalomon1

Apollo

• Vendors
  • Loc: Oxnard CA

Posted 06 August 2022 - 07:44 AM

You can use this telescope as something to learn with. You're out nothing if you disassemble it and can't get it back together and correctly collimated.

Aligning (collimating is a more complete word) the front lens (objective lens) with the rear eyepiece will probably make the telescope functional again.

Look for clues. If you take everything off and gently shake the telescope, does the front lens make a rattling sound? If it does, it's come loose somehow. If you're lucky there is a threaded retaining ring you can tighten. For $20, it's more likely glued in place.

If the objective is still solidly in place the issue is likely in the draw tube or diagonal. Look for anything that allowed the alignment with the objective lens to change. If you gently shake the diagonal, the mirror may just have come loose.

Edited by briansalomon1, 06 August 2022 - 05:33 PM.

• SteveG likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Accessories, Beginner, Eyepieces, Refractor, Tripod, Optics, Mount

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics