•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Issue with my refractor

Accessories Beginner Eyepieces Refractor Tripod Optics Mount
  • Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#26 Jeff B

Jeff B

Cosmos

Posted 06 August 2022 - 10:27 AM

I've saw it and no issue at all nothing is broken but the focuser which can with it has a shiny finish inside maybe this could be the reason

Internal reflections can indeed introduce multiple or ghost images.

Now, if you say everything was fine before, and you are using the same accessories, then something has changed on the inside.  

Like others here, I recommend simply taking the objective cell off of the front of the tube and just look inside the tube and at the objective's front and back.  Use a strong light.  Maybe an internal baffle (if it has one) has shifted or maybe even spider webs (which can play the devil with images), or anything that might look unusual.

But before anything, using paper, a compass, and scissors, cut a mask the size of the lens with a 25 to 30mm hole in the middle, place it over the front of the objective and have a look.  Any different?

Jeff

Edited by Jeff B, 06 August 2022 - 10:28 AM.

• Astronomygeek likes this

#27 Astronomygeek

Astronomygeek

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 August 2022 - 10:37 AM

Internal reflections can indeed introduce multiple or ghost images.

Now, if you say everything was fine before, and you are using the same accessories, then something has changed on the inside.  

Like others here, I recommend simply taking the objective cell off of the front of the tube and just look inside the tube and at the objective's front and back.  Use a strong light.  Maybe an internal baffle (if it has one) has shifted or maybe even spider webs (which can play the devil with images), or anything that might look unusual.

But before anything, using paper, a compass, and scissors, cut a mask the size of the lens with a 25 to 30mm hole in the middle, place it over the front of the objective and have a look.  Any different?

Ok sir I'll the scope isn't with me rn I'll get it and I'll check.sir

• Jeff B likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Accessories, Beginner, Eyepieces, Refractor, Tripod, Optics, Mount

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics