•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

IC5070, The Pelican Nebula, First Try

Astrophotography Beginner CMOS Dob DSO EAA
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 kb38758

kb38758

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Winthrop, Massachusetts

Posted 05 August 2022 - 08:22 PM

08/04/2022
I had a chance to target IC5070, The Pelican Nebula for the first time last night.
No clouds but high humidity and temperatures created a slight haze here near the ocean.
Still, I’m pleased with the capture!
Still getting the feel of the new camera but it’s getting much better with practice.
I've added a starless version to better see the nebulosity.

IC5070, The Pelican Nebula, distance 1,800 light years away
Orion Xtg10g goto Alt/Azimuth telescope
ZWO 294 MC camera
Optolong 1.25" L-Enhance Dual Narrowband Light Pollution Filter
ZWO EAF focuser
500x10 second subs
Processed in PixInsight, Photoshop, StarTools, Topaz, and StarNet
Bortle 7

1 Pelican 2022 08 04

2 Pelican 2022 08 04

• D_talley, Sheridan, Kenny V. and 7 others like this

#2 smiller

smiller

Ranger 4

• Loc: Vancouver Washington (not BC!)

Posted 06 August 2022 - 09:32 AM

Nice shot with your Alt/Az.  I see there was a little drift in the stars which I assume is why you went 10 seconds and no longer,  which makes me wonder:

What dualband filters do you own, and do you find platesolving still works with short exposures? (How short can you go since narrow dual band filters cut so much of the starlight)?

I have a 12 inch version of your scope (as you know!), and I just ordered the IDAS NBZ filter for some dual band fun, but I’m a bit curious what the minimum exposure is needed for reliable platesolving.

Also, what gain, offset, and red/bud balance, or other setting did you use on your camera?

Edited by smiller, 06 August 2022 - 12:35 PM.

• kb38758 likes this

#3 kb38758

kb38758

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Winthrop, Massachusetts

Posted 06 August 2022 - 03:16 PM

Nice shot with your Alt/Az.  I see there was a little drift in the stars which I assume is why you went 10 seconds and no longer,  which makes me wonder:

What dualband filters do you own, and do you find platesolving still works with short exposures? (How short can you go since narrow dual band filters cut so much of the starlight)?

I have a 12 inch version of your scope (as you know!), and I just ordered the IDAS NBZ filter for some dual band fun, but I’m a bit curious what the minimum exposure is needed for reliable platesolving.

Also, what gain, offset, and red/bud balance, or other setting did you use on your camera?

I actually needed to go 1000x5 second exposures on this one, as it was very high in the sky and had lots of field rotation, but it was my first try on it.

I used the Optolong 1.25" L-Enhance Dual Narrowband Light Pollution Filter for this.

I platesolve at 3 second exposures, so short exposure has no effect on my solving.

Gain was 120, offset 30. No other settings for color. I fix that all in post processing.

• smiller likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrophotography, Beginner, CMOS, Dob, DSO, EAA

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics