•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Quark problem

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 axle01

axle01

Messenger

• topic starter
  • Loc: Townsville Nth Qld Australia

Posted 05 August 2022 - 09:14 PM

Hey guys I dragged out my solar telescope with a Quark which has been sitting idle for quite a few years.
Powered it up waited till the light turned green aimed it at the Sun but can’t see anything.
Everything is exactly the same since I used it last and packed it away.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Al

#2 BYoesle

BYoesle

Cosmos

• Loc: Washington USA

Posted 05 August 2022 - 10:50 PM

Hi Al,

"Cant see anything" is a bit too vague. Do you mean there is no image of the sun's disc at all? Or do you mean there is a disc with no detail and no prominences (but perhaps some sunspots)?

#3 axle01

axle01

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 06 August 2022 - 01:30 AM

Hi Al,

"Cant see anything" is a bit too vague. Do you mean there is no image of the sun's disc at all? Or do you mean there is a disc with no detail and no prominences (but perhaps some sunspots)?

Thanks for your interest and no image of the sun's disc at all.

I remove the Quark and I can get a sunspot if I put my hand in front of the focuser so I have it aligned correctly.

Al

Edited by axle01, 06 August 2022 - 01:34 AM.

#4 spatzek

spatzek

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Denmark, Copenhagen

Posted 06 August 2022 - 04:04 AM

We need to know if you can see the Sun at all or is the image “black”. You can test the filter looking at the Sun without a telescope. If you can see the Sun as a red dot it will be alright. If you see nothing or a faint image your trimmer (blocking) filter inside the Quark need to be replaced. 

Edited by spatzek, 06 August 2022 - 04:05 AM.

#5 axle01

axle01

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 06 August 2022 - 04:36 AM

We need to know if you can see the Sun at all or is the image “black”. You can test the filter looking at the Sun without a telescope. If you can see the Sun as a red dot it will be alright. If you see nothing or a faint image your trimmer (blocking) filter inside the Quark need to be replaced. 

I’m just seeing black, I will try what you said to look at the sun with just the Quark.

That is a big help, thank you.

Al

#6 axle01

axle01

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 07 August 2022 - 01:31 AM

Damm clouds but I had a 5 min window where I was able to use the Quark by itself and I can see a tiny red dot.

Hopefully the clouds will clear in the next few days and I’ll try again with the scope.

Really appreciate your advice,,,,,,stay tuned.

Al

#7 lorenzo italy

lorenzo italy

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Montichiari (Bs) Italy

Posted 07 August 2022 - 01:10 PM

Hey guys I dragged out my solar telescope with a Quark which has been sitting idle for quite a few years.
Powered it up waited till the light turned green aimed it at the Sun but can’t see anything.
Everything is exactly the same since I used it last and packed it away.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Al

Once you have inserted the Quark into the eyepiece holder, you can see the image of the Sun even if it is not connected to the power supply.
You will see the Sun out of band, but you have to see it anyway.
The problem is to center it. With its Barlow the Quark considerably lengthens the focal length of the telescope. And the Sun is not always centered so perfectly that it can be seen in the field of the eyepiece, even less so in that of a camera. You must always "look for" the Sun by moving the optical tube a little. I remember years ago, at the presentation of the Quark a supplier took it to a solar party but struggled not a little to show the image of the Sun to potential customers. Only because, being his first time using it, he was unaware of the narrow field problem. Of course, if you use a short focal telescope and an eyepiece with low magnification, everything is easier.

Lorenzo

#8 axle01

axle01

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 07 August 2022 - 05:53 PM

Once you have inserted the Quark into the eyepiece holder, you can see the image of the Sun even if it is not connected to the power supply.
You will see the Sun out of band, but you have to see it anyway.
The problem is to center it. With its Barlow the Quark considerably lengthens the focal length of the telescope. And the Sun is not always centered so perfectly that it can be seen in the field of the eyepiece, even less so in that of a camera. You must always "look for" the Sun by moving the optical tube a little. I remember years ago, at the presentation of the Quark a supplier took it to a solar party but struggled not a little to show the image of the Sun to potential customers. Only because, being his first time using it, he was unaware of the narrow field problem. Of course, if you use a short focal telescope and an eyepiece with low magnification, everything is easier.

Lorenzo

Appreciate this Lorenzo, we have bad weather at the moment but I will take your advice and persevere with it when the clouds clear.

Al

#9 axle01

axle01

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 08 August 2022 - 08:15 PM

Update on my problem, it was a faulty eyepiece, now to try and image the big light in the sky.

Al

• 0ak3, vincentv, eblanken and 1 other like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics