•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Lagoon, Trifid, & Co. with EvoGuide 50ED and Olympus Pen-F

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ktran

ktran

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 05 August 2022 - 11:51 PM

gallery_298185_17607_67781.jpg

61 x 120s @ISO400
Olympus Pen-F Digital
Sky Watcher EvoGuide 50DX with Starizona EvoFF and Baader Neodymium filter
Guiding: SW SynGuider II with Askar FMA180
Mount: Vixen AP

Hudson QC, Bortle 5

I wasn't planning on shooting this grouping this year, but it's hard to resist, especially seeing everyone else imaging them, and feeling some FOMO smile.gif

Edited by ktran, 05 August 2022 - 11:52 PM.

• lukasik, Jim Waters, Alen K and 15 others like this

#2 RichA

RichA

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 06 August 2022 - 12:28 AM

Beautiful  Definite benefit to the larger (relative to some astrocameras) m4/3rds sensor, much less shot noise on close scrutiny compared to under $1000 astro-cameras with small sensors.  Also, mercifully, no overcooked nebula colours!

• ktran likes this

#3 galacticinsomnia

galacticinsomnia

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Pacific Northwest - Oregon

Posted 06 August 2022 - 12:47 AM

You have done a very nice job on this. 
Love this part of the sky !!

I've been shooting this in my 30-40 minutes low horizon window each night as sky conditions allow.
Similar framing..

2022-08-05_224238.jpg

Clear Skies !!

• ktran likes this

#4 ktran

ktran

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 06 August 2022 - 12:48 PM

Beautiful  Definite benefit to the larger (relative to some astrocameras) m4/3rds sensor, much less shot noise on close scrutiny compared to under $1000 astro-cameras with small sensors.  Also, mercifully, no overcooked nebula colours!

Hey thanks! Your comments really strike a few chords with me! Micro 4/3 cameras really do deserve a bit more love and respect than they actually get, especially for astronomy. I don't have the actual data or spectra to say for sure, but I suspect the sensors let a lot more Ha through than your average DSLR does.

I did give the saturation a bump, but part of the "fomo" was seeing so many photos of the region with overcooked nebula colours. Think duo-narrowband with the blue added back in because the filter had blocked it. But when they add it back in to just the Trifid, it looks wrong because it's missing everywhere else. To each their own, of course, but I just wanted to see what I could do with a slightly lighter processing hand.

You have done a very nice job on this. 
Love this part of the sky !!

I've been shooting this in my 30-40 minutes low horizon window each night as sky conditions allow.
Similar framing..

attachicon.gif2022-08-05_224238.jpg

Clear Skies !!

Awesome! Definitely a great part of the sky, but challenging from our latitudes. I live in basically-downtown Montréal, so this might have been my only chance this year to rent a car and drive out of the city. These objects are so low in the sky that when I looked at my first subs, I had a mild panic, wondering if I'd missed focus, or if my backspacing was off, or if my guiding was acting up. But no, it was just the Atmosphere we have to shoot through. Every few subs really suffered, but generally I had okay sharpness.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics