•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Gso 20 inch rc

Astrophotography Cassegrain Reflector Optics Observing Report Imaging
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Astronomygeek

Astronomygeek

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 August 2022 - 03:46 AM

Is gso 20 inch rc a good choice it's very cheap compared to others rcs out there is the mechanical and optical quality good does anyone owns it????????

#2 Astronomygeek

Astronomygeek

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 August 2022 - 07:46 AM

Plz somebody say something

#3 Tapio

Tapio

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----
  • Loc: Tampere, Finland

Posted 06 August 2022 - 08:13 AM

It could be that the limited replies is because hardly any have any experience of the beast.

Do you have the mount/observatory for it ?

But there have been known some issues with GSO RC scopes.

Like the focuser/tilt problem.

And this new one which I just noticed:

https://www.youtube....h?v=nHuLrYe-oik

#4 Astronomygeek

Astronomygeek

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 August 2022 - 08:14 AM

No sir I'm not buying it just asking it's the largest scope available in India

#5 quilty

quilty

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 06 August 2022 - 10:20 AM

you're asking any scope. What are you after?

#6 Astronomygeek

Astronomygeek

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 August 2022 - 10:24 AM

you're asking any scope. What are you after?

I'm just asking cuz I'm very brand new to this hobby sir these scopes which I'm asking r the scopes which r the best scopes available in India I just want to know about it sir 

Sorry to say the way u r saying it is a bit rude

#7 Tapio

Tapio

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----
  • Loc: Tampere, Finland

Posted 06 August 2022 - 11:11 AM

I don't it's rude to ask what is the purpose of your query.
Is this purely academic or just asking of GSO quality in general?
If you are not considering getting one.

#8 Astronomygeek

Astronomygeek

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 August 2022 - 12:04 PM

Just asking gso quality it's a bit cheap soo

#9 carolinaskies

carolinaskies

Soyuz

• Loc: Greenville SC

Posted 06 August 2022 - 12:51 PM

Is gso 20 inch rc a good choice it's very cheap compared to others rcs out there is the mechanical and optical quality good does anyone owns it????????

Here's my opinion... you get what you pay for in RC telescopes.  

There are specific reasons for the price disparity, the main being QUALITY ASSURANCE & QUALITY CONTROL.  When you buy a serious RC from Planewave or any of the big names they have QA and QC so that the telescope doesn't leave the shop unless it's been thoroughly checked, and then they offer installation to often.  

If you look around here on CN you'll find owners of the smaller GSO RC models having various experience with maintaining collimation, which is the biggest issue for the truss design due to how they are supported on GEM mounts.  The crux often is the structure of the truss or secondary having flexure due to bad quality control so that maybe trusses are not equally matched or don't use the best quality means of attachment. 

I'll note I don't see any GSO 20" RC listed through the worlds largest vendors which begs the question "Why?"  Only on much more regional astronomy sites which may or may not be legitimate.  So beware.  

The large RC telescopes do need extra attention to detail because they are very heavy and cumbersome, so my opinion is instruments that are significantly cheaper likely have issues that may make the realistic use problematic.  

#10 drprovi57

drprovi57

Viking 1

• Loc: Virgina USA

Posted 06 August 2022 - 01:47 PM

i strongly agree with Paul, I have owned a RCOS 14.5" RC as well as a 17" iDK scope. These scopes are of high quality build -heavy and expensive.  A lot of cost just in the hardware and quality manufacturing.  CFF Telescopes, http://cfftelescopes...tien-500-600-mm, does make a high quality 20" and 24" RC scope - again expensive.  CFF is in Europe and probably easier shipment to India.  These large RC's tend to be 1 year to 2 year delivery times.

Best

#11 ris242

ris242

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: New Zealand

Posted 06 August 2022 - 08:03 PM

i strongly agree with Paul, I have owned a RCOS 14.5" RC as well as a 17" iDK scope. These scopes are of high quality build -heavy and expensive.  A lot of cost just in the hardware and quality manufacturing.  CFF Telescopes, http://cfftelescopes...tien-500-600-mm, does make a high quality 20" and 24" RC scope - again expensive.  CFF is in Europe and probably easier shipment to India.  These large RC's tend to be 1 year to 2 year delivery times.

Best

I don't think CFF are taking new orders right now.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrophotography, Cassegrain, Reflector, Optics, Observing Report, Imaging

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics