•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Collapsible GoTo Reflector telescope - Shaking

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 galsarig

galsarig

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Israel

Posted 06 August 2022 - 07:40 AM

I have collapsible GoTo Reflector telescope (Sky-Watcher Heritage Virtuoso 150P GTI) and it seems to shake too much and disturb the viewing.
Whenever I touch its problemtic helical focuser or even just the eypiece - the image shakes.

Is this a common issue with this telescope or there is something that can be done to fix it?

Thanks.

#2 whizbang

whizbang

Apollo

• Loc: NE of Seattle, WA

Posted 06 August 2022 - 07:58 AM

A lot of scopes shake. It a question of how much, and how soon the scope settles down.

At the last star party I attended, I looked through 7 or 8 scopes. I was amazed at how shaky they were. Some were beyond shaky, downright bouncy!

Sometimes you can upgrade your tripod. Sometimes you substitute the next smaller size OTA. Sometimes you can shave some weight by using 1-1/4 inch eyepieces instead of 2 inch eyepieces or a 6x30 finder in place of a 9x50.

Sometimes you are simply stuck and you have to live with it, or replace the whole scope or mount.
  • galsarig likes this

#3 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Voyager 1

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 06 August 2022 - 08:57 AM

Well... looks like inherent very poor mechanical design. The number of weak links in their approach almost too many to count. The only viable actions would be to either enjoy it for what it is or upgrade to something sturdier. This can be said for most of the commercial offerings... too flimsy but the ~the price is right~.    Tom

• galsarig likes this

#4 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

• Loc: Madoc, Ontario

Posted 06 August 2022 - 09:02 AM

I looked up a picture of the scope and have seen it is a "Table-top" scope.   The stability of this instrument is severely limited by the stability of the table you have it on.

There are many solutions, some costing little (a 'pier' made of stacked concrete blocks or a 4x4 fencepost buried 4 feet into the ground...) and some costing a fair bit ( tripod with a piece of plywood attached to the top..)  to downright expensive (Losmandy HD tripod).

The mass of the tripod/pier and its connection to the ground - drive the legs into the ground rather than having them just ride on top of the turf - are the factors you must increase.

Dave

• galsarig likes this

#5 rhetfield

rhetfield

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Suburban Chicago, IL, USA

Posted 06 August 2022 - 06:23 PM

I have the 5" version. It generally settles down after 2 or 3 seconds unless I am on the deck. Go to the astronomers without boarders thread in beginners forum for tips on tuning the scope.
  • Ernesto.Nicola and galsarig like this

#6 Keith Rivich

Keith Rivich

Soyuz

• Loc: Cypress, Tx

Posted 06 August 2022 - 10:10 PM

You might try to add a little weight to the scope. A small bean bag or two in the right place might settle down the shaking. 

• galsarig likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics