•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

White light imaging and Quark imaging questions - I want to go bigger

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ImNewHere

ImNewHere

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: Bremen (but really Lakeville), IN

Posted 06 August 2022 - 09:05 AM

I wanted to attempt white light imaging with my 10RC after having fun with some full disk white light imaging and liking what I see using my Intane 60 triplet with the built in white light solar filter/aperture mask and a 2x barlow with the Apollo M Max. Zooming in and seeing the granularity on the sun and the detail in sunspots makes me want more! I haven't found any examples of people using a 10RC for this though.

I was also thinking of keeping my CR150HD and using it for the quark when I want more detail than I get with the 80mm Daystar since it also has that nice built in aperture mask. I have been using a UV-IR cut filter for the 80mm Daystar telescope, but I have a Player One 1.25 ERF for the Quark Chromosphere being delivered and I also have their 10nm 1.25 photosphere filter for white light on the same shipment. I have wondered if my 12nm Optolong Ha filter that pretty well gets no love any more would be better than the UV-IR, and if either one would help in addition to the one that should be delivered early next week or whenever FedEx gets them here. In addition to that Altair has a 120mm D-ERF blank that isn't in a cell yet and I can easily make a cell with my access to machine shop and 3d printing equipment (I would put a felt sandwich around the edges of the 120mm blank if I got it).

The cameras I use for this are the Player Once Apollo M Max and QHY5III 178M. I have thought of getting a 174M, but not sure how much good that will do me with what I already have.

Basically I am looking for more experienced heads to tell me if I am way off in my thinking, and if you see something in my equipment list in my signature that would be better suited maybe steer me toward that. Thanks!

#2 hopskipson

hopskipson

Skylab

• Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollution Headquarters!

Posted 08 August 2022 - 11:18 AM

If you are going to use the 10RC you need to get a full aperture solar filter or some kind of off axis filter mask. If you get the full aperture filter be warned that you may see a blurry mess. It will all depend upon your seeing conditions. You might have better results with the CR150. If you don’t own a full aperture solar filter you can try to use your quark without any power on your refractor. Most of them will show the photosphere when unpowered.
I think your Apollo max will be fine for imaging with the quark and the 174 would need a 0.5x reducer to do the same thing so it’s probably not a good idea. If you are going to use an aperture filter for white light you will want a camera with smaller pixels like the 178, 183, or asi1600

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics