•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Source and Type Recommended of Optical Blocking wax or pitch?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 PrestonE

PrestonE

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: San Miguel de Allende,Mexico

Posted 06 August 2022 - 09:39 AM

Hola Everyone,

I am going to be making several optics, mirrors and lenses and will need an Optical

Blocking Wax or Pitch.

I went to Universal Photonics, to see what was available...many products.

What would anyone recommend for the type and where does one get small quanities...like

a pound or so...not huge amounts...

Or, can Gulgoz Pitch be used...as I have all the grades of that ...also Casting Waxes...

Best Regards,

Preston

#2 Mike I. Jones

Mike I. Jones

Aurora

• Loc: Fort Worth TX

Posted 06 August 2022 - 09:56 AM

We used a blocking wax at Optico Fabrication similar to this product:

https://www.opticalw...05-c5eb88fff268
  • PrestonE likes this

#3 PrestonE

PrestonE

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: San Miguel de Allende,Mexico

Posted 06 August 2022 - 10:42 AM

Ya Mike, I saw that one...but it does Not say any specs, uses  or the weight...

and, I was hoping not to have a Life Time Supply at US$159???

Any other sources for a lesser amount?

Best Regards,

Preston

#4 Mechanizoid

Mechanizoid

Lift Off

Posted 15 August 2022 - 02:22 AM

The guys and gals at Universal Photonics are quite willing to help us ATMs whenever they can. I picked up 1 kg of 64/73 Gugolz pitch and some polish from them a few months back. An engineer who works there helped me determine what I needed and submit a RFQ (request for quote) to the proper folks. He even took into account the average temperature of my workspace. Super friendly and helpful folks over there!

If you want something from an industrial supplier like UP the best thing to do is call and inquire. Ask to talk to an engineer, and he or she will be able to advise you on what products from their catalog are suitable.

Or, can Gulgoz Pitch be used...as I have all the grades of that ...also Casting Waxes...

If I might inquire, what kind of projects do you have in mind? Classic ATM manuals tend to use pitch/beeswax for laps and blocking. UP carries a lot of fancy, expensive products for machine polishing in optical labs. I don't know how much of that applies to hand polishing. Some would argue that I went overboard purchasing premixed proprietary superpolish from UP when plain CEO has sufficed for countless ATMs. laugh.gif

where does one get small quanities...like a pound or so...not huge amounts...

Minimum order quantities are the biggest drawback of industrial suppliers. All you can do is call and inquire. Sometimes you don't find out what the minimum is until you submit an RFQ. Sometimes it seems to depend on who answers the phone that day. Our orders are small potatoes to them, and primarily offered as a courtesy to us amateurs. After all, the folk at UP are as big nerds as us. But they still have to play by their rules. If the minimum order quantity is too big, perhaps you could organize a group buy for multiple ATMs?

It does feel silly to submit a RFQ for a few kilos of pitch and polish though. laugh.gif

Edited by Mechanizoid, 15 August 2022 - 02:24 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics