•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Pelican Nebula IC 5067 - First serious mono LRGB target

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 jpengstrom

jpengstrom

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: North Texas

Posted 06 August 2022 - 10:48 AM

I was able to collect almost 14 hours of LRGB data using my new QHY 268M and Astronomik L2, and Deep-Sky RGB filters.  This is my first serious target on the new camera, and only the 3rd target I've captured with it.  I'm still not happy with the processing - I have a lot to learn in that regard.  Any constructive criticism is welcome.

Shot on 7/27/2022, 8/2/2022, and 8/3/2022
L - 889 x 30 sec (444.5 min)
R - 85 * 90 sec (127.5 min)
G - 85 * 90 sec (127.5 min)
B - 85 * 90 sec (127.5 min)
Total integration time: 13 hrs 47 min

Click for full-sized image.

52267213436_1dca6dd586_b.jpg

• F.Meiresonne, Sheridan, ifly and 10 others like this

#2 jpengstrom

jpengstrom

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 07 August 2022 - 11:20 AM

I didn't like the processing so I went back to bring out more of the nebulosity by processing the luminance data separately before combining with the color.  While I like the detail in the nebula more, I don't like the loss of color in the bright stars.  Looks like I pushed the luminosity too far in the highlights.  *sigh* Processing is hard.  Maybe one of these days I'll figure it out. smile.gif  Good thing there's a full moon coming up, that will give me a chance to process this again.

52269631578_3a77a141ea_b.jpg

Edited by jpengstrom, 07 August 2022 - 11:22 AM.

• bobzeq25, Skysmacker, Mike in Rancho and 2 others like this

#3 dx_ron

dx_ron

Apollo

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 07 August 2022 - 12:28 PM

Nice! I would not have thought to image this in "full color", but it worked out well. I prefer the first version, but mostly because it looks a lot more like a pelican smile.gif

You have enough snr to push the stretch as far as you did in the 2nd version. If you could figure out how to keep the stars under control in the 2nd it would be a nice, unique take on the region. I don't even mind that the colors start to wash out - in this case it actually adds some depth rather than being a distraction.

• jpengstrom likes this

#4 acrh2

acrh2

Apollo

• -----

Posted 07 August 2022 - 12:48 PM

Very nice detail.

The second image is a bit too flat. This is the reference image - https://aladin.unist...ey=P/DSS2/color

• jpengstrom likes this

#5 Mike in Rancho

Mike in Rancho

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Alta Loma, CA

Posted 07 August 2022 - 01:41 PM

I like the new version, other than as you say, the big stars blew up and lost color too.

Some of the edges look...sharper...than may be realistically possible at whatever the resolving power and scale is?  Or it could just be the downsampling has my perspective off.

Agree that it is less pelican now and more scary inky clouds.  shocked.gif

• jpengstrom likes this

#6 jpengstrom

jpengstrom

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 07 August 2022 - 05:53 PM

Nice! I would not have thought to image this in "full color", but it worked out well. I prefer the first version, but mostly because it looks a lot more like a pelican smile.gif

You have enough snr to push the stretch as far as you did in the 2nd version. If you could figure out how to keep the stars under control in the 2nd it would be a nice, unique take on the region. I don't even mind that the colors start to wash out - in this case it actually adds some depth rather than being a distraction.

That's my goal for the next processing - keep the stars under control and maybe only push the stretch somewhere between the two images.

Very nice detail.

The second image is a bit too flat. This is the reference image - https://aladin.unist...ey=P/DSS2/color

Thanks for that reference image.  That aladin site will be in my toolkit from now on.

I like the new version, other than as you say, the big stars blew up and lost color too.

Some of the edges look...sharper...than may be realistically possible at whatever the resolving power and scale is?  Or it could just be the downsampling has my perspective off.

Agree that it is less pelican now and more scary inky clouds.  shocked.gif

Thanks Mike.  As for the downsampling - you can click on the image and get a full-sized image.  And I did sharpen it, but not all that much.  Maybe between the sharpening and the local contrast enhancement it became sharper than my 100mm scope and 1.41"/pixel should be able to resolve.

• Mike in Rancho likes this

#7 Oort Cloud

Oort Cloud

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: New Jersey, USA

Posted 07 August 2022 - 06:00 PM

Wow! When I first looked at it, I thought "oh nice, he took the time to shoot RGB stars". Then I realized there was no narrowband. Bravo!
  • jpengstrom likes this

#8 jpengstrom

jpengstrom

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 07 August 2022 - 06:05 PM

Wow! When I first looked at it, I thought "oh nice, he took the time to shoot RGB stars". Then I realized there was no narrowband. Bravo!

Thanks. It'll be a while before I get narrowband filters.  I want to learn LRGB processing before adding another set of variables. :)

#9 Oort Cloud

Oort Cloud

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 07 August 2022 - 08:16 PM

Thanks. It'll be a while before I get narrowband filters.  I want to learn LRGB processing before adding another set of variables. smile.gif

Looks to me like you've got it figured out.

• jpengstrom likes this

#10 Look at the sky 101

Look at the sky 101

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Citizen of the earth .

Posted 07 August 2022 - 08:22 PM

Very beautiful work. 

• jpengstrom likes this

#11 jpengstrom

jpengstrom

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 07 August 2022 - 09:40 PM

Looks to me like you've got it figured out.

I appreciate that. But every target is different. Until I can consistently capture and process LRGB data I’m in no hurry to try and jump to narrowband.  There’s always the siren sound of the new and different, but I like to get consistent with what I have before changing things.

Very beautiful work. 

Thank you. 

#12 dx_ron

dx_ron

Apollo

Posted 08 August 2022 - 02:05 PM

Very nice detail.

I disagree. The 'reference image' is what most of us do, with the region between the Pelican and North America looking mostly black and devoid of nebulosity. JP's2nd version shows that to very much be not the case. There's quite a lot of Ha emission there. By definition, stretching to show nebulosity in that region is either going to totally blow out the main Pelican, or "flatten" the image.

• jpengstrom likes this

#13 acrh2

acrh2

Apollo

• -----

Posted 08 August 2022 - 04:19 PM

I disagree. The 'reference image' is what most of us do, with the region between the Pelican and North America looking mostly black and devoid of nebulosity. JP's2nd version shows that to very much be not the case. There's quite a lot of Ha emission there. By definition, stretching to show nebulosity in that region is either going to totally blow out the main Pelican, or "flatten" the image.

What exactly do you disagree with?

#14 dx_ron

dx_ron

Apollo

Posted 09 August 2022 - 08:12 AM

What exactly do you disagree with?

That the 2nd image is too flat, and that JP should strive to make his image look like the 'reference image'

Very nice detail.

It's all personal taste. I'm not saying there is right vs wrong, just that I have a different opinion.

#15 jpengstrom

jpengstrom

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 09 August 2022 - 09:00 PM

OK, I think this is my final image.  I didn't push the nebulosity as far and maintained more subtle detail in the nebulosity.  And I got the stars under control - maybe a little small for some folks, but I like 'em. wink.gif

I'd be happy to hear what ya'll think as I'm just starting off in LRGB processing and I have a lot to learn.  Thanks!

Once again, click for the full-sized image:

52276038585_7f53977462_b.jpg

• pedxing, dx_ron, Mike in Rancho and 4 others like this

#16 Oort Cloud

Oort Cloud

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 09 August 2022 - 09:29 PM

Within reason, the size of the stars is far less important to me than the color and shape, both of which look really good here. It's also the reason I preferred the 1st image over the 2nd.

This is a really nice image, you should be proud of this one!
  • jpengstrom likes this

#17 jpengstrom

jpengstrom

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 09 August 2022 - 09:48 PM

Thank you, Oort. I do feel good about this latest version. I still have a lot to learn about processing. But the only way to really learn is to practice, so I guess I’ll keep shooting more targets.  Now where did I put that can of cloud-be-gone.

• Oort Cloud likes this

#18 Mike in Rancho

Mike in Rancho

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Alta Loma, CA

Posted Yesterday, 02:48 AM

I like it!  The Pelican is back, the red tone seems good, I'd probably be a little less shrinky on the stars but that's just me.  Okay on the big fluffy ones, but I think keeping a decent amount of the medium and tiny bright pinpoints gives some extra pop and life to the image.

The large and medium star color is by far the best in version 3 IMO too.  waytogo.gif

• jpengstrom likes this

#19 jpengstrom

jpengstrom

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted Yesterday, 09:17 AM

Thanks Mike.  I appreciate the feedback.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics