•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

I'm Eikow excited now. My new classic telescope

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 patrickt

patrickt

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Manila, Philippines

Posted 06 August 2022 - 11:37 AM

Hello All !

I posted a few days ago, excitedly asking about an old Eikow 60mm f/15 OTA i was going to buy for a good price. It did not push through, when the seller found out there were no shippers in his area for a package that long.  I instantly lost my excitement....

A couple of days after that, i saw an ad for an Eikow ST-350. I started getting excited again 😃 ! To make a long story short, i went ahead and bought it. I drove about 4 hours to get it. But here's the thing, traffic over here can get really horrendous (to say the least) !! It was only 28 miles away...But well worth it.

The advertised "As is" condition meant lots of scratches on the ota, as well as old adhesive from a bunch of stickers that were removed, no doubt from its trip over here from Japan, then customs, then the Surplus dealer, etc..

But the worst part is the objective lens. It looks like its got some small scratches and stains, as well as some mould. I decided to buy it anyway. I figured that at worst, i could maybe find some decent lens to replace it with.  The looks and mechanicals give me every reason to hang on to it. First thing i will do is set it up. Then clean the lens to a hopefully acceptable (for me) state (??). 

Sorry about the lack of pics, as i (for some reason) have not  been able to reduce them enough to be posted... I will try tomorrow. I am definitely excited now...

Patrick

Attached Thumbnails

• Screenshot_20220807-001538_Gallery.jpg
  • Screenshot_20220807-002604_Carousell.jpg

• Paul Hyndman, Jim Waters, mdowns and 9 others like this

#2 Stellar1

Stellar1

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Juuuust outside Toronto

Posted 06 August 2022 - 11:59 AM

Now theres one I haven't heard of, it looks the part of a classic, gotta love those classics.

• patrickt likes this

#3 Kasmos

Kasmos

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 06 August 2022 - 02:25 PM

This is a much better telescope than the first one you wanted.

• Bomber Bob, walter a and patrickt like this

#4 GaryM

GaryM

Vostok 1

• Loc: Harrisburg, Pennslyvania

Posted 06 August 2022 - 04:26 PM

This looks very similar to mine but see the model number is different.

#5 GaryM

GaryM

Vostok 1

• Loc: Harrisburg, Pennslyvania

Posted 06 August 2022 - 06:57 PM

This looks very similar to mine.

Attached Thumbnails

• s-l1600-2.jpg
  • s-l1600-3.jpg

• steve t, Bomber Bob, walter a and 2 others like this

#6 AstroKerr

AstroKerr

Surveyor 1

• Loc: 48° 16′ 8.4″ N, 225° 59′ 24″ W

Posted 06 August 2022 - 10:18 PM

An Eikow!! Well Done! I bet the objective and the rest cleans up just fine for you and you'll be quite happy.  

• steve t and patrickt like this

#7 patrickt

patrickt

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 07 August 2022 - 12:47 AM

Screenshot_20220807-114700_Gallery.jpg STELLAR1 - Now you have 🙂. I enjoy old stuff, maybe because i'm an old soul...

GARYM - Yes it does. Yours is very nice !

ASTROKERR - Thanks for your vote of confidence.

I'll let you all know how it goes..

EVERYONE - Would anyone know what the encircled item in red would be ?  Thank you

Patrick

• steve t likes this

#8 Stellar1

Stellar1

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Juuuust outside Toronto

Posted 07 August 2022 - 01:06 AM

attachicon.gifScreenshot_20220807-114700_Gallery.jpgSTELLAR1 - Now you have . I enjoy old stuff, maybe because i'm an old soul...

EVERYONE - Would anyone know what the encircled item in red would be ?  Thank you

Patrick

That almost looks like some sort of contraption for solar projection, did it come with a square or round piece of sheet metal painted white for projecting the solar disc onto? I could be wrong.

Edited by Stellar1, 07 August 2022 - 01:07 AM.

• patrickt likes this

#9 walter a

walter a

Viking 1

• Loc: Prawda Manitoba Canada

Posted 07 August 2022 - 08:05 AM

attachicon.gifScreenshot_20220807-114700_Gallery.jpgSTELLAR1 - Now you have 🙂. I enjoy old stuff, maybe because i'm an old soul...

Patrick

Looks like a camera mount of some sort. Solar projection rod should look like item in lower right of case of this older 605B.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN1829.JPG
  • DSCN0015 (640x480).jpg

Edited by walter a, 07 August 2022 - 08:10 AM.

• steve t, PawPaw, Bomber Bob and 1 other like this

#10 patrickt

patrickt

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 07 August 2022 - 08:50 AM

STELLAR1 -

Based on old Eikow catalogs i'd seen online, that would not be part of the solar projection apparatus.

You mentioned a white painted square piece of sheet metal (actually grey on the orher side of it), yes there is one, as well as a tube that i believe the flat metal attaches to. The other end of the tube attached to the eyepiece holder (i saw it on old Eikow catalogs online), then you put in a diagonal with eyepiece.

WALTER A -

Your most likely right about it being an camera holder. This is further strengthened by the empty roll film box and roll film canister in the box (see pic). Its an Interesting way to prop the camera to the eyepiece, no need to get any camera brand specific adapters.  But then of course, things like extraneous light and increased vibrations is the downside.

Out of curiosity, i may just try it anyway with some old point and shoot digital cameras. Thanks for the pic.  Yes i finally figured it  was a projection rod. By the way, may i know if your telescope box in the pic came originally with those wooden divisions (and packed with styrofoam) ? I asked because my box only came with styrofoam.

Attached Thumbnails

• Screenshot_20220807-215125_Gallery.jpg
  • Screenshot_20220807-215140_Gallery.jpg
  • Screenshot_20220807-215136_Gallery.jpg
  • Screenshot_20220807-215955_Gallery.jpg
  • Screenshot_20220807-215156_Gallery.jpg

Edited by patrickt, 07 August 2022 - 09:10 AM.

• steve t, Bomber Bob, walter a and 1 other like this

#11 walter a

walter a

Viking 1

• Loc: Prawda Manitoba Canada

Posted 07 August 2022 - 09:38 AM

All wood dividers, no styrofoam in this one.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN0016 (640x480).jpg
  • DSCN2041 (640x473).jpg

• steve t, PawPaw and Bomber Bob like this

#12 patrickt

patrickt

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 07 August 2022 - 09:46 AM

Oh ok. Thanks for the pics of the box and the literature.

• walter a likes this

#13 Diego

Diego

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cordoba, Argentina South America

Posted 07 August 2022 - 10:15 AM

Congratulations!! They are excellent little scope. Very well made. I bought the same model a few years ago, for very little money.

https://www.cloudyni...s-short-review/

Don't use it much due to lack of time, but it's a gem. Enjoy!!
  • Bomber Bob and patrickt like this

#14 patrickt

patrickt

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 07 August 2022 - 07:47 PM

DIEGO -

Thank you ! I am just waiting for any short break during our monsoons (rainy season). So i can spend time cleaning the lens and such. I am really excited. I last looked through (and owned) a long focus 60mm refractor 26 years ago !  A gem for sure !

Patrick

Edited by patrickt, 07 August 2022 - 08:20 PM.

• Diego likes this

#15 patrickt

patrickt

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 07 August 2022 - 08:26 PM

DIEGO - 

I forgot to tell you that it was your 2015 threads on your ST-3500 that finally enticed me to buy the Eikow (great comments you received from other CNers, as well as your personal experience with it).

I just now discovered that we DO NOT have the same model.   Upon closer examination of the Eikow identification plate, mine is an ST-350, not an ST-3500 like yours.

Also my focal length is 910mm, not 900mm. Barring any optical defects on mine, i expect similiar performance from mine.  I just mentioned it for the record. For all intensive purposes, everything else is identical 😃.

Attached Thumbnails

• Screenshot_20220808-132557_Gallery.jpg

Edited by patrickt, 08 August 2022 - 12:27 AM.

• steve t likes this

#16 Diego

Diego

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cordoba, Argentina South America

Posted 08 August 2022 - 05:36 AM

DIEGO -
I forgot to tell you that it was your 2015 threads on your ST-3500 that finally enticed me to buy the Eikow (great comments you received from other CNers, as well as your personal experience with it).

I just now discovered that we DO NOT have the same model. Upon closer examination of the Eikow identification plate, mine is an ST-350, not an ST-3500 like yours.

Also my focal length is 910mm, not 900mm. Barring any optical defects on mine, i expect similiar performance from mine. I just mentioned it for the record. For all intensive purposes, everything else is identical 😃.

Hi Patrick!! I'm glad my thread helped!!! Yes you're right! Your model is 910 mm FL. Didn't notice that. Mine has very good optical performance, but I was mostly impressed by the build quality. The EQ mount is pretty massive for such a small light weight OTA. The tripod is also very sturdy. I've mount my 5" mak on it and it's totally solid.

Wow, I can believe my thread was from 2015...time flies! Good luck with the scope!
  • patrickt likes this

#17 patrickt

patrickt

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 08 August 2022 - 10:15 AM

DIEGO -

Your thread absolutely made me go out and buy the scope !  5 inch Mak on it, wow ! They just dont make them like they used to... 

Patrick

• Diego likes this

#18 Piggyback

Piggyback

Apollo

• Loc: Germany

Posted 08 August 2022 - 02:30 PM

Ever since I found me a pretty nice Revue-Eikow 60/910mm last year I am also Eikow excited. Mine came in a wooden box with the complete set of factory specified accs. Mechanical and optical quality is outstanding. Views are close to what I can see with my Zeiss Telementor. Serial number 20743 suggesting 1962 built date but I could be wrong on that.

Revue-Eikow T-605B Endzustand_05red.jpg
Revue-Eikow T-605B Endzustand_09red.jpg
Revue-Eikow T-605B Endzustand_06red.jpg
Revue-Eikow T-605B Ankauf 2021_01red.jpg

• Diego, astro140, steve t and 4 others like this

#19 patrickt

patrickt

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 08 August 2022 - 09:58 PM

PIGGYBACK - 

Very nice condition i see ! My ota and chromed parts need some love to get it decent looking.

The moderately rusted chromed parts come as no surprise, since we are tropical over here, and only God knows the life this may have lead since it landed on our shores from Japan.

From the stuff i've read on CN, as well as old catalogs online, i would date mine as late 1960's to very early 1970's.

I've never looked through a Zeiss telescope (since its microscopes that Zeiss is known for and used over here), but certainly know its reputation for optics. That said, i'm more than thrilled to know (like i havent been thrilled enough with what i've read on CN) you've even compared it to your Telementor, and "close to" views is good enough for me. Thanks so much for your post and pics !

Patrick

• Piggyback likes this

#20 Piggyback

Piggyback

Apollo

• Loc: Germany

Posted 09 August 2022 - 12:22 AM

Thanks for the accolades, Patrick. I share your "Eikow" enthusiasm as these seem to be of outstanding overall quality. I was fortunate enough to travel your beautiful country in 1983. I remember the overburdening hospitality of your people and the incredible beauty of the countryside. 

• patrickt likes this

#21 patrickt

patrickt

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 09 August 2022 - 12:38 AM

Glad you enjoyed your time over here !  Time to do some Eikow research. Be ready for more questions. We'll talk again.

Patrick

• Piggyback likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics