•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Salami proxima centauri

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

ISS

• topic starter

Posted Yesterday, 11:42 AM

It's not April 1st but it's pretty funny.

https://www.pcmag.co...up-of-a-sausage
  • payner, ColdyNitesNC, Jethro7 and 2 others like this

#2 bphaneuf

bphaneuf

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Waxhaw NC [34° 55' 28" N / 80° 44' 36" W]

Posted Yesterday, 12:05 PM

Saw that! Got to hand it to his sense of humor.
  • ColdyNitesNC likes this

#3 sanbai

sanbai

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Baton Rouge, LA

Posted Yesterday, 12:35 PM

Given the amount of fat there and the redness, we could qualify _that_ Proxima centauri as a carbon star.
Also, a new type of star: a Paprika star. Temperature depends on the amount of chili.
  • gnowellsct and ColdyNitesNC like this

#4 ColdyNitesNC

ColdyNitesNC

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Nevada City, Ca

Posted Yesterday, 01:37 PM

Be careful. I was reprimanded for posting an image of the Svenhard spiral galaxy.

#5 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

ISS

• topic starter

Posted Yesterday, 01:47 PM

Be careful. I was reprimanded for posting an image of the Svenhard spiral galaxy.

I see.  The one next to the Costco nebula.  I've heard of it.  Some day, I fear, I shall be banished to Stargazer's Lounge.  It will be quiet life. --GN

• bphaneuf likes this

#6 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

• Loc: Athens, Georgia, USA

Posted Yesterday, 05:03 PM

I don't think the Proxima Centauri prank was particularly witty.  Merely fooling people is not very humorous.  If it had had Donald Duck or something hidden in it, it would have been funny.  As it was, it probably undermined a lot of people's confidence in science, now that they're seeing headlines about it.  A good prank should leave the victim laughing, and this one doesn't.

EDIT: I don't mean that I see no humor in it at all, or that I don't "get the joke."  But some jokes are better than others, and this one falls flat, and has unintended, undesirable consequences.

Edited by Michael Covington, Yesterday, 09:19 PM.

• esd726, Lindhard, Redbetter and 1 other like this

#7 KTAZ

KTAZ

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Scottsdale, AZ

Posted Yesterday, 05:27 PM

Many of us see the humor in this, but in the end what is clear is that even Klein didn't understand the sheer numbers of social media zombies that would just "like" it and pass it on to the hoard.

That is the danger of social media...a quick glance, read a tagline, and think that it is truth...very bad.

• bphaneuf likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics