•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

LX600/ 200 GPS problems getting a GPS fix.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 astroman121

astroman121

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 August 2022 - 12:16 PM

Hi everyone. I have had my LX600 for 7 years. Following a 12 month lul in my astronomy activity (health issues), I fired it up again last month, with the intention of resuming my hobbie whenever our English weather would allow. As my equipment is permanently mounted inside a dedicated home Observatory, it was well protected. My only problem is getting the telescope to obtain a GPS fix. I also have a Globalsat USB GPS dongle (NMEA),which also fails to detect GPS satelites. Is anyone aware of the reason why I cannot get a GPS fix?? I know my Globalsat USB GPS dongle is working, but it is not detecting the satelites.
Clear skies
Astroman121

Edited by astroman121, 06 August 2022 - 12:17 PM.

#2 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 06 August 2022 - 04:49 PM

Gday Astroman121

You can use my PEC editor

http://members.optus...om.au/johansea/

to connect to your mount and it has a screen that will read out the GPS data.

That will show if it can "see" any satellites

If it does get the time then date slowly, it just means it cant see enough satellites

in order to fix.

There is also a coin battery in the base of the scope that keeps the almanac

alive between fixes.

It might take 15 minutes to get the first fix, but after that, fixes should be quicker.

Andrew Johansen Melbourne Australia

#3 astroman121

astroman121

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 August 2022 - 02:48 AM

Many thanks Andrew. I am already a long time fan of your App. I will check out the GPS data later today.
Clear Skies.
Astroman

#4 astroman121

astroman121

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 August 2022 - 08:24 AM

Replaced the internal battery. I put  an AVO on the old battery and got 3.3 volts, so I am not overly hopeful.

#5 astroman121

astroman121

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 August 2022 - 05:57 AM

Replaced the internal battery. I put  an AVO on the old battery and got 3.3 volts, so I am not overly hopeful.

After replacing the LX600 internal battery, buying two GPS receiver dongles, a complete windows 10
operating system re-installation, and using an older (previously reliable Laptop PC) I still can't get any
satellites. I am forced to conclude either USA has switched off GPS satellite system above UK,  or a Ham Operator is swamping the bandwidth. I give up.

#6 michael8554

michael8554

Vanguard

• Loc: Wiltshire UK

Posted 13 August 2022 - 07:23 AM

The 600GPS doesn't need to be connected to a PC for the GPS to work.

So why reinstall W10 ?

What did connecting to MyScope reveal ?

Edited by michael8554, 13 August 2022 - 07:27 AM.

#7 t-ara-fan

t-ara-fan

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: 50° 13' N

Posted 14 August 2022 - 02:31 AM

I was hiking today and according to my phone the GPS still works. You might have local interference. Is your observatory a dome or roll off? The latter might block a lot of sky, really slowing down getting a fix.

The software OzAndrewJ refers to is awesome by the way.

If the GPS has been powered off for a while, it must download a general almanac then the precise ephemerides for ALL the satellites. It took many hours for the GPS in my LX200GPS to get a fix after years of inactivity.

A 7 year old scope will have the rollover bug. Location is still accurate, time and date is wrong.

My saga is here https://www.cloudyni...i/?fromsearch=1

Edited by t-ara-fan, 14 August 2022 - 02:33 AM.

#8 bdoyle

bdoyle

Vostok 1

• Loc: Silver Springs, Nevada

Posted 14 August 2022 - 02:33 AM

I have used a similar GPS dongle with EQMOD ( for SynScan mounts). If the dongle is near a usb hub it will never find any sats. Really caused grief when I bundled up the cable.

Brian 

#9 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 14 August 2022 - 03:07 AM

Gday Astroman121

Missed this earlier

buying two GPS receiver dongles

Did you buy "Meade" GPS units????,

If so, i cant imagine both are faulty,

To BDoyle

I have used a similar GPS dongle with EQMOD

The mount cannot read a std dongle.

You can get a "StarGPS" dongle, which is preprogrammed to detect several types of scopes

but a simple GPS dongle wont do anything.

So again, if you connect my app and start the GPS using it, do you see data

( as if not, the mount should have declared a GPS unit fault???? )

Andrew Johansen Melbourne Australia

#10 VictorMG

VictorMG

Vostok 1

Posted 25 August 2022 - 08:53 PM

After replacing the LX600 internal battery, buying two GPS receiver dongles, a complete windows 10
operating system re-installation, and using an older (previously reliable Laptop PC) I still can't get any
satellites. I am forced to conclude either USA has switched off GPS satellite system above UK,  or a Ham Operator is swamping the bandwidth. I give up.

I am beginning to think these Meades we purchased are bags of garbage or scrap at best. Perhaps Meade has a cunning way of cutting telescopes off grid, unless you pay them a toll fee. They wanted me to spend 600 dollars shipping it in,  to just reconnect a few loose wires. Now, they want me to send it in because it stay stuck on Getting GPS FIX. Either way, these scopes a pain in the butt. They are garbage you ask me. I am used grabbing my old Blue and white C-10 and it never failing me. What good are all the other bells and whistles in they don't work half the time?

#11 michael8554

michael8554

Vanguard

Posted 26 August 2022 - 08:21 AM

Victor

The majority of LX owners are happy, you were unlucky enough to buy a used one that was faulty in many ways

That doesn't make them all "garbage".

If you weren't advised of the faults when you bought it then send it back to the seller.

#12 bob b

bob b

Sputnik

• Loc: Central Ky

Posted 26 August 2022 - 08:33 AM

i have hade my 14" lx200gps since sept 2004.............Flawless except when the Main Board went out due to a Lightning STRIKE !!

VP Scott Roberts Got involved and Had Meade send me the Board ( not their practice back then !! ) It took about 9 months to finalize everything due to breaking Proto call ---they actually sent 2 boards --- i contacted Scott and He said " just Keep it --we caused you a lot of Trouble "

Since then, it's been outside in a dome in temps as low as -30F ( real Temp) in Upstate NY ( now in KY !!)

sometimes it takes a few tries to get GPS fix after sitting 3-4 months during the long hard winter .

GOTO's are always Perfect ---- LOVE IT ..........

bb

• michael8554 likes this

#13 VictorMG

VictorMG

Vostok 1

Posted 26 August 2022 - 08:44 AM

Victor

The majority of LX owners are happy, you were unlucky enough to buy a used one that was faulty in many ways

That doesn't make them all "garbage".

If you weren't advised of the faults when you bought it then send it back to the seller.

I have had the classic lx 200, 7" Mak with zero issues. After reading the problems on Meade GPS models, even so, they all seem to be junk and a constant maintenance issue. I prefer a library style, as classic version, where it just works, with no worries about connecting to a Sattlelite and it works with library it has stored in memomory. I believe all the meade GPS'S will be a major problem for everyone, as meade can just shut down GPS firmware at their pleasure, when a model becomes undesirable to them to maintain.  GPS Sattlelites aren't free for them I would imagine. 

#14 t-ara-fan

t-ara-fan

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: 50° 13' N

Posted 26 August 2022 - 07:12 PM

GPS Sattlelites aren't free for them I would imagine.

If you don't know your history ... something something something.

Reagan authorized civilian use of GPS after the commies (Moskva variant) shot down KAL007 murdering 269 people. The attacking pilot knew it was a civilian 747 but orders are orders.

#15 michael8554

michael8554

Vanguard

Posted 27 August 2022 - 05:11 AM

It would be nice if Astroman gave us an update, he hasn't posted for 2 weeks.

#16 dcaponeii

dcaponeii

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Waxahachie, TX

Posted 01 September 2022 - 11:30 AM

Also keep in mind that folks who buy Meade scopes that are NOT having trouble do not generally post "I bought a Meade and I'd not having any trouble."  The sold LOTS of these scopes and a few tens of posts about hardware/software issues doesn't represent a large fraction of the total number of scopes sold.

• michael8554 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics