•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

USB Corrosion - Cleaning

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Becomart

Becomart

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 August 2022 - 02:40 PM

All,

Just setting up for a night of imaging - my mount wouldn't connect which is very usual. After a bit of troubleshooting - the cables are to blame - not the end of the world. However, I have a few cables going into my Eagle which have a bit of green mould on them - nothing extensive but they won't fully clean. Once I clean them a bit, the mount connected fine. This is the first time of using my rig in a few months due to the summer nights. I store everything pre-assembled in a wooden box in and dry outbuilding and have done for a number of years. Now I'm fine with cables going faulty every now and then but it go me thinking that this would be a whole new level of expense if the ports on my mount or Eagle were to become dirty or corroded. Anyone have any tips for safely cleaning this ports so they don't become damaged? 

#2 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

• Loc: Athens, Georgia, USA

Posted 06 August 2022 - 03:59 PM

Caig Deoxit is ideal; isopropyl alcohol will work if it's all you have.

A toothpick can help you apply the liquid and scrub.

• Becomart and Cfreerksen like this

#3 Cfreerksen

Cfreerksen

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Tooele, Ut

Posted 06 August 2022 - 04:39 PM

+1 for DeoxIT, fixed may connections issues for me, from a simple 9 pin plug, to a 9U backplane.

Chris

• Michael Covington and Becomart like this

#4 Becomart

Becomart

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 August 2022 - 09:40 AM

Thanks for the tips chaps - can't get hold of DeoxIT here in the UK but found an alternative similar product by WD40 which worked a treat - all ports and leads now cleaned and everything worked beautifully again last night.

#5 asanmax

asanmax

Vendor - DSLR Modifications

• Vendors
  • Loc: Vancouver BC

Posted 09 August 2022 - 03:49 PM

I know for a fact that regular vinegar cleans up the battery/cable contacts of that greenish stuff pretty well. You can give it a try with the use of a q-tip and a couple of drops of vinegar. Clean the contacts with 99% alcohol afterwards.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics