•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

First Light Optics UK to US?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Kim2010

Kim2010

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 06 August 2022 - 02:49 PM

Have you had any experience buying from First Light Optics from the UK and shipping to a US address? They use DHL. Do they ship to your address and doorstep? No other customs or import fees you needed to pay?

There are many mounts that are OOS in the US shops but are available in FLO.

#2 Wildetelescope

Wildetelescope

Gemini

• -----
  • Moderators
  • Loc: Maryland

Posted 06 August 2022 - 03:16 PM

Just bought a TS Flat 2 inch ff from them.  No problem delivery was faster than they estimate.  My experience was pretty much ordering from places here in US.  Very pleased with the experience.   Will likely use them again when it makes sense.  

Regards,

JMD

• Kim2010 and MarkMittlesteadt like this

#3 GaryShaw

GaryShaw

Vanguard

• Loc: Massachusetts / Wyoming

Posted 06 August 2022 - 03:27 PM

I’ve bought multiple times from TS Optics in Munich without a hitch and don’t see why FLO would be any different. Things come as fast as from CA to MA.
Gary

Edited by GaryShaw, 06 August 2022 - 03:28 PM.

• Kim2010 and CeeKay like this

#4 Kim2010

Kim2010

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 August 2022 - 02:31 PM

There were no other charges aside from the one that is calculated upon checkout?

#5 MarkMittlesteadt

MarkMittlesteadt

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Weston, WI. USA

Posted 11 August 2022 - 03:24 PM

I just recently ordered a Skywatcher AZ-GTi mounthead and handcontroller from FLO. Easy and fast transaction. Just do a quick Google search on the exchange rate between British pounds and US dollars to know the exact price before ordering. They also accept PayPal.

Fast shipping via DHL. Took only 6 days, and has tracking. They transferred my package over to the USPS and delivered right to my doorstep in Wisconsin. No additional charges or holdups. Pretty much like ordering from the US, except for one thing. FLO actually had what I wanted in stock! Only one I found online compared to everywhere else that was out of stock.

Edited by MarkMittlesteadt, 11 August 2022 - 03:24 PM.

• Kim2010 likes this

#6 Doug Culbertson

Doug Culbertson

Cosmos

• Loc: N. Florida

Posted 11 August 2022 - 03:29 PM

I've ordered a ton of stuff from FLO over the years, and I have always received the item quickly whether shipped through Royal Mail or DHL. The only thing not disclosed upon checking out is out of their hands, and that is duty paid on anything over $800 USD, not including shipping. If you order anything over that amount, DHL will email you and collect duty via credit or debit card before they get it to you. 

• Kim2010 likes this

#7 Kim2010

Kim2010

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 August 2022 - 03:48 PM

I've ordered a ton of stuff from FLO over the years, and I have always received the item quickly whether shipped through Royal Mail or DHL. The only thing not disclosed upon checking out is out of their hands, and that is duty paid on anything over $800 USD, not including shipping. If you order anything over that amount, DHL will email you and collect duty via credit or debit card before they get it to you. 

When you say not including shipping, so for example, the item is $780 and shipping is $50, then there will be no duties, right?

#8 Doug Culbertson

Doug Culbertson

Cosmos

• Loc: N. Florida

Posted 11 August 2022 - 04:10 PM

When you say not including shipping, so for example, the item is $780 and shipping is $50, then there will be no duties, right?

That’s correct.
  • Kim2010 likes this

#9 Wow!

Wow!

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 11 August 2022 - 06:47 PM

Purchased an extension pier from them and it arrived at my door in Australia via DHL less than 2 business days later.

Getting a parcel posted from Perth to Sydney though, using Express Post? 1 week.

So FLO and DHL have my vote!

• Kim2010 and MarkMittlesteadt like this

#10 Drothgeb

Drothgeb

Ranger 4

Posted Yesterday, 08:05 PM

FLO is great, DHL is not. I’ve ordered from FLO several times this year. FLO shipped within a day or two. One time it took DHL 3 days. Another time it took 3 weeks. And, I was told multiple times it would be delivered on a particular day, never was. It wasn’t lost, they just wouldn’t deliver it. The other order never did show up. Took over a month for DHL to admit it was lost, and get reimbursed (it was a couple thousand dollars). FLO good, DHL not.

#11 BVSgazer

BVSgazer

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Tehachapi, Ca

Posted Today, 10:02 AM

Ordered a mount head and pier extension on a Monday and received it via DHL on Friday am to CA. They have a lot of unique items not found in US stores (ie. Skywatcher parts). I believe the item costs shown on the website include VAT, which gets removed when you go to checkout for a US address. 

#12 Arie

Arie

Viking 1

• Loc: Netherlands

Posted Today, 10:13 AM

Lucky you guys. 
I order something in Austria and it takes DPD a FULL WEEK to get it to me in the Netherlands. 

That is by land transportation and 800 miles ……

Indeed FLO is great. Did quite some shopping there. 
Until they disappeared behind the Brexit wall and duty has to be paid. 
Now they can’t compete with the main land shops. 

Edited by Arie, Today, 10:16 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics