•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Jupiter 8-6-22 plus Europa and Io dance (Extended Director's Cut)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dcaponeii

dcaponeii

Aurora

• topic starter
  • Loc: Waxahachie, TX

Posted 06 August 2022 - 02:50 PM

So I spent some time last night working on the collimation of the 10" scope as it had been a week or so since I last done it.  That last time instead of getting complete Airy Disk I was getting trefoil pattern instead.  The Lunar images I shot after that effort came out very well but I thought perhaps I had pinched the secondary by tightening a screw too much.  So I went slowly through the process again using Metaguide.  No matter what I did I couldn't eliminate the trefoil pattern.  The seeing wasn't that great either night that I was getting this pattern so I pushed through to get the red dot centered on the psf with a symmetrical trefoil around the psf and hoped that my assumption regarding the seeing was correct.  My confidence with collimation is still less than it probably should be at this point.

Here is a quick look at Jupiter from this morning.  The FOV is wider than usual because I wanted to get Europa and Io in the frame.  At this image width you'll have to select the image to make the GIF go. (Note:  I've got another 5 images to add to this and will do so if AS!3 ever finishes processing them.)  If you get one of these ASI678MC, ASI485MC or 585MC you best make sure you've got a computer that can keep up with these large file sizes.

2022-08-06-0735_5-DWC-L-Jup_12762_AS_P25_lapl5_ap158_Drizzle30wA_pipp.gif

Edited by dcaponeii, 06 August 2022 - 07:02 PM.

• Bob Campbell, kyle1234, KiwiRay and 3 others like this

#2 Bob Campbell

Bob Campbell

Messenger

• ****-
  • Loc: Scottsdale, AZ

Posted 06 August 2022 - 03:01 PM

So I spent some time last night working on the collimation of the 10" scope as it had been a week or so since I last done it.  That last time instead of getting complete Airy Disk I was getting trefoil pattern instead.  The Lunar images I shot after that effort came out very well but I thought perhaps I had pinched the secondary by tightening a screw too much.  So I went slowly through the process again using Metaguide.  No matter what I did I couldn't eliminate the trefoil pattern.  The seeing wasn't that great either night that I was getting this pattern so I pushed through to get the red dot centered on the psf with a symmetrical trefoil around the psf and hoped that my assumption regarding the seeing was correct.  My confidence with collimation is still less than it probably should be at this point.

Here is a quick look at Jupiter from this morning.  The FOV is wider than usual because I wanted to get Europa and Io in the frame.  At this image width you'll have to select the image to make the GIF go. (Note:  I've got another 5 images to add to this and will do so if AS!3 ever finishes processing them.)  If you get one of these ASI678MC, ASI485MC or 585MC you best make sure you've got a computer that can keep up with these large file sizes.

attachicon.gif2022-08-06-0735_5-DWC-L-Jup_12762_AS_P25_lapl5_ap158_Drizzle30wA_pipp.gif

Beautiful!

Goes to show that despite  less than perfect collimation and the spectre of pinched optics, an excellent result can be obtained! Richard Suiter goes into this unnecessary hand wringing in depth in his highly regarded book.

Don't sweat it, and enjoy the view (or the resulting image).

Bob

• dcaponeii likes this

#3 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

James Webb Space Telescope

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 06 August 2022 - 07:49 PM

"Director's cut..!!!bigshock.gif Lord help me Dan..!!!

I thought you had issues with the 12" scope as I "intimated" in one of your (many) other threads jut a moment ago..?!? grin.gif

Regardless, this is very good indeed but I blame Grant here for your thread title - suggesting there might be some prose competition now between us...& causing you to title this thread that way!!! crazy.gif

That "trefoil" image of the focus or extremely close-to-focus star pattern is very common & we work with that a lot of the time...I'm far more inclined to prescribe it to seeing than any optical deficiencies - the image outcomes are an affirmation of what's really occurring imo! waytogo.gif

• Bob Campbell and dcaponeii like this

#4 dcaponeii

dcaponeii

Aurora

• topic starter
  • Loc: Waxahachie, TX

Posted 06 August 2022 - 08:07 PM

Thanks for the confirmation of the trefoil.  I was pretty sure I was ok.  This is the 10" scope not the 12".  Alas I've just about given up on that beast for planetary although I think it was Grant said he's had his apart a bunch of times so it's still possible that main mirror is pinched at the baffle from being too tight.  The 10" is doing ok this season though.  Yes Grant and I have been playing some word tag (all in response to my smart a$$ remarks most of the time.  I've not had time to reprocess my Jupiter's from this morning with a lighter hand but I'm pretty sure I've got some good data in there.  I sharpening knowing I was going to do that smaller format GIF and I wanted the details to stand out against all that blackness needed to get the moons in.

Don

P.S.  You need to confirm if it's Darryl or Daryl because I see it both ways in different folks responses and I want to make sure I'm getting it correct.

• Bob Campbell likes this

#5 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

James Webb Space Telescope

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 06 August 2022 - 09:59 PM

Waaaal - a lot of folks call me Mo, Don...but if you want it's Darryl..! grin.gif After all these years Sam still calls me "Darrly" & I've even got "For Darrly" in his handwriting on a label on my ASI290MM. I kinda like it as a memento. (Sam Wen, ZWO CEO)

• dcaponeii likes this

#6 Bob Campbell

Bob Campbell

Messenger

• ****-
  • Loc: Scottsdale, AZ

Posted 06 August 2022 - 10:25 PM

Thanks for the confirmation of the trefoil.  I was pretty sure I was ok.  This is the 10" scope not the 12".  Alas I've just about given up on that beast for planetary although I think it was Grant said he's had his apart a bunch of times so it's still possible that main mirror is pinched at the baffle from being too tight.  The 10" is doing ok this season though.  Yes Grant and I have been playing some word tag (all in response to my smart a$$ remarks most of the time.  I've not had time to reprocess my Jupiter's from this morning with a lighter hand but I'm pretty sure I've got some good data in there.  I sharpening knowing I was going to do that smaller format GIF and I wanted the details to stand out against all that blackness needed to get the moons in.

Don

P.S.  You need to confirm if it's Darryl or Daryl because I see it both ways in different folks responses and I want to make sure I'm getting it correct.

Suiter's book, p138, top picture. broken airy disk with only 0.1 wave of turbulence. With stacking and only keeping the x% of good frames, turbulence is mild enough that it is largely taken out of the equation.

I'd post a pic of the page, but I think it might violate some CN forum rule. How are your tube currents? So much to worry about, and yet the result is excellent.

Bob

Edited by Bob Campbell, 06 August 2022 - 10:28 PM.

• dcaponeii likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics