•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

How to Cancel a GoTo?

Celestron Equipment Mount SCT
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MeteorBoy

MeteorBoy

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 07 August 2022 - 10:44 AM

I have the Evo 9.25”, use CPWI to connect to it and use the hand-controller for fine movements.  All pretty normal.

How do I quickly cancel a CPWI initiated GoTo in progress?  Quickly is important to me as the ‘scope can only be set-up near my balcony railing or pointing out a window.  I don’t want the ‘scope striking anything thus losing my alignment.  I already use Slew Limits for ALT but there aren’t any limits for AZ.

For a quick response time it’s best for me to be able to cancel it with the hand-controller but testing shows no hand-controller button will cancel a CPWI initiated GoTo in progress.

Any ideas?

#2 xiando

xiando

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Cloudy NEOhio

Posted 07 August 2022 - 10:55 AM

hit one of the direction buttons as I recall. (ie, initiate a manual traverse)

Edited by xiando, 07 August 2022 - 10:55 AM.

• barbarosa, jeffreym and InfiniteMort like this

#3 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Somewhere Northwest of Surprise Arizona

Posted 07 August 2022 - 11:04 AM

Yes, pressing any of the direction buttons cancels slew commands.

Stan
  • jeffreym likes this

#4 MeteorBoy

MeteorBoy

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 07 August 2022 - 01:05 PM

Any direction button on the HC will cancel a slew but only if the alignment was done with the HC, in my case not because I'm using CPWI.  I can't watch the distant laptop and look through menus or operate the mouse when the moving 'scope is millimeters and seconds from striking something (which is why I really need to instantly stop a slew using the HC while I'm closely watching the 'scope).

Perhaps I'll have to survey some physical AZ limits of my setup and then check my intended target's current AZ position to see how close I come to this limit.

Thanks to all for your suggestions.

#5 TelescopeGreg

TelescopeGreg

Aurora

• -----
  • Loc: Auburn, California, USA

Posted 08 August 2022 - 05:08 PM

Any direction button on the HC will cancel a slew but only if the alignment was done with the HC, in my case not because I'm using CPWI. 

Curious.  Will the buttons work if the scope was started with Quick Align (via the hand controller) then slewed under computer control with the computer connected through the hand controller (i.e. with ASCOM / INDI)?  I'm assuming yes, as the control is through the HC (if not with the buttons), where CPWI bypasses that point of control.

I ask because imaging a target that's high in the sky often has the camera just missing one of the front tripod legs (east or west), and a meridian flip tends to hit the other one.  I've more than once had to make a diving lunge at the power switch...

• Skywatchr likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Celestron, Equipment, Mount, SCT

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics