•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

My first image I think is worth posting: Iris Nebula

Astrometry Astrophotography Beginner
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 davidmalanick

davidmalanick

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: Sheboygan Wisconsin

Posted 07 August 2022 - 10:51 AM

I finally got a image I am happy with last weekend.  No Moon or clouds and the mount was tracking great.

Bit the bullet for Adam Block's FastTrack Program. Well worth it.

No messing with the stars. Just my limited Adam Block FastTrack Training for WBPP.

Did stretching in PhotoShop, Topaz DeNoise.  I'm not great on the PixInsight usage yet.

Dynamic Background Extraction and Photometric Color Calibration did not work for me on this target so I didn't use it.

Hard target to process do to my lack of PixInsight knowledge. 

300 120 second exposures on my QHY268C Photographic Mode 0, Gain 26, Offset 30 for a total of 10 Hours.

Comments welcome.

Iris Nebula Post

• Kenny V., Astrola72, pgs/sdg and 14 others like this

#2 danny1976

danny1976

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Belgium

Posted 07 August 2022 - 10:58 AM

I think it looks awesome.

#3 mikeyL

mikeyL

Viking 1

• Loc: Longmont, CO, USA

Posted 07 August 2022 - 11:34 AM

Congratulations! You are on your way. This looks very good, really nice feeling of depth in it for sure, with lots of detail. I think you will get more and more out of PI as you progress.

Pixinsight gets what I think is a bad rap as some uber mysterious program that is very hard to learn. It does have a different approach that seems a little strange at first but you soon realize that what seems strange offers you great flexibility in how you approach post processing your images. Nowadays, there is a ton of training content out there (like Adam Block's stuff as just one example) and the scripting up of lots of process steps has come quite a long way. The WBPP script has gone from a 'don't use this it is too much of a compromise' tool to THE way to run pre-processing for many folks. I even know people who bought Pixinsight just to use WBPP for their preprocessing and do everything else elsewhere. And the PI folks are constantly adding new features and fixing bugs.

There are more and more competing packages out there for post processing these days, but I still personally consider my Pixinsight purchase to be one of the very best expenditures I have ever made in the hobby. If you keep at PI going forward you will eventually get to a point where you have defined a post processing workflow that works for how you want your images to look and you can tweak things from there. The great thing is while there are many many tools provided you do not have to use all of them, and may indeed use different ones at different times for different data and intended results.

For people who do not like post processing PI is maybe not the quick and easy 'spend as little time as possible on post processing' tool they are looking for. For me, I think post processing can be just as exciting and rewarding as assembling the gear, forcing it to work correctly (:)), and gathering the data, so I love working with it.

Excellent image, I predict lots more to come.

ML

• Old Photons likes this

#4 c131frdave

c131frdave

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 07 August 2022 - 04:12 PM

Looks awesome. 

Can I make one suggestion since you are learning Pixinsight?  Load it up in PI, do a luminance extraction with the rainbow colored icon at the top left, do an LRGB combine process, uncheck R,G,B, then add the luminance image you just created to the L channel.  Turn the Saturation slider to .3, and then use the arrow to give the image a little more color.  You can use the arrow several times until it looks right to you, just increase the saturation to .4 or so before you do it.  I'd use SCNR with green selected and 80% as well.  

But maybe not, if you like the blue you have, which is beautiful.  Think of this as more of a mini tutorial for future use.

• mikeyL and davidmalanick like this

#5 mikeyL

mikeyL

Viking 1

• Loc: Longmont, CO, USA

Posted 07 August 2022 - 07:06 PM

c131frdave - that's a cool and quick technique I have never seen before. I just learned something new, thanks for posting!

ML

• c131frdave likes this

#6 KurtV

KurtV

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California

Posted 07 August 2022 - 07:29 PM

Looks great!

I've been struggling with Iris nebula, I have about 12 hours of exposure on it, but haven't been able to get the dust clouds to really pop like you did.  I'll have to go through Adam's tutorials and see if there is something in there that will get me past the road block.

Great work!

#7 Astrola72

Astrola72

Apollo

• Moderators
  • Loc: Maryland, USA

Posted 07 August 2022 - 07:59 PM

Excellent image, I predict lots more to come.

ML

I agree with ML! Well done. Thanks for sharing. waytogo.gif

Joe

#8 Look at the sky 101

Look at the sky 101

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Citizen of the earth .

Posted 07 August 2022 - 08:00 PM

Very beautiful. 

#9 davidmalanick

davidmalanick

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: Sheboygan Wisconsin

Posted 07 August 2022 - 08:02 PM

Looks great!

I've been struggling with Iris nebula, I have about 12 hours of exposure on it, but haven't been able to get the dust clouds to really pop like you did.  I'll have to go through Adam's tutorials and see if there is something in there that will get me past the road block.

Great work!

His FastTrack program is great. The WBPP is basic instruction, but is a lot better then DSS.  The only problem is it leaves you wanting more!  Now I have to buy his Fundamentals Program and find time to watch it. :)

Then only problem is the Iris Nebula is so hard to process with limited knowledge.  I would have never attempted to shot a dark nebula if the Moon was out at all.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrometry, Astrophotography, Beginner

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics