•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron Nexstar 8i "No response 17" error

Celestron DIY Mount Tripod
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 VuLTuReCA

VuLTuReCA

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 August 2022 - 11:46 AM

Hi everyone,

I have purchased a used Nexstar 8i SCT telescope ~a month ago.

I have been using the scope for a few sessions already but last night in the midst of tracking Jupiter, I started to receive "No response 17" code. As the description suggest on Celestron's website, the HC lost control of the ALT axis, I am able to move the mount in AZ. I use a 12v 1.5A adapter which should be good enough based on power supply requirements (12V@0.750mA).

So far;

• Tested the HC on both the original port and AUX port of the mount, same outcome
  • I have verified that with use of a multimeter on the HC that all 6 wires on both ends do transmit signal

On a side note, one thing to add is, last night was a relatively hot and humid weather, 24C with ~80% humidity. I don't think that could be the root cause as Celestron didn't post any operating conditions in the manual and claims that it should be safe to use in non-extreme conditions.

https://www.celestro...tron-telescopes

At this point I suspect that I may have a problematic motor logic board but before I open up another can of worms, I am looking to have your thoughts around how would you approach t-shooting the problem and its fix.

TIA for all your help!

#2 VuLTuReCA

VuLTuReCA

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 07 August 2022 - 02:47 PM

*Minor update*

The ALT axis worked spontaneously but not stopping until switch turned off.

I opened up the cover that carry the HC to let possible condensation out and waiting optimistically.

Maybe I shouldn't rule out humidity too soon.

Edited by VuLTuReCA, 07 August 2022 - 02:56 PM.

#3 TomH1954

TomH1954

Vostok 1

• Loc: Paris, Arkansas

Posted 07 August 2022 - 03:18 PM

I have a Nexstar 8i that is kept outside covered with a heavy duty 50 gallon Hefty trash bag. I live in the NW area of Arkansas and experience 80% humidity quite often. I also have a Skyprodigy mount that has been left uncovered in my carport for at least the last 2 months. The controllers for both of these also stay attached to the mount all the time. Neither has shown any problems because if humidity. I'm thinking your power supply might be the culprit.

Edited by TomH1954, 07 August 2022 - 03:19 PM.

#4 VuLTuReCA

VuLTuReCA

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 August 2022 - 12:11 AM

Strange.. The issue spontaneously disappeared under same hardware.

Same 12v@1.5A adapter runs just fine today over 3h session.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Celestron, DIY, Mount, Tripod

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics