•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Tracking Issues EQ-6R + Metal Spreader Question

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 JoshuaQ

JoshuaQ

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Tacoma, WA

Posted 08 August 2022 - 07:38 PM

I wanted to see if anyone might know why my EQ 6R is not liking tracking.

Equipment:
Scope: 80ed Esprit or Svbony 102ed

Main Camera: 533 MCP

Guide scopes: 120mm or 260mm

Guide Camera: ASI120

Mount: EQ 6R

Misc: ASIAIR Pro, ZWO EAF

I have two questions:

1. I cannot for the life of me find my metal spreader for the legs. I also for some reason can barely get 60s subs with the EQ 6R. Usually it's more like 120s, but at that exposure, it's just very hit or miss. I use a pole-master to PA, and I also have used it and ASIAIR to PA just to see if PA was the issue, but even with near perfect PA, I am still getting the same issues, some star trailing in 60s + subs, and tracking issue. Does the missing metal spreader play a part in causing my subs to be so disappointing? I want to say you can get 300s subs with good PA and the EQ 6R and no guiding, right? Iirc, I was able to get better subs a couple months ago.

2. So, because of the above issue, I started trying to use tracking again (I was not bothering because I was only trying to do 60-180 subs for now as I practice and get used to new mount). First attempt, it kept trying steps to clear backlash, but it went from Zenith to trying to run itself into the ground or hitting the tripod. It never stopped or reset itself. Second attempt, same as above. I watched a video and it mentioned you didn't need the RJ11 cord if using, I think the 533 or it was the mount, either way, I had removed that cable before attempting tracking. I wondered if I heard incorrectly and started using it again, coincidentally, I was able to get tracking sorta working, I could let it loop for a while (hoping to help it calibrate maybe?), then choosing the star I want to track, not multi star. This started to at least get tracking "working" and beyond calibrating. Problem is, it struggled to stay tracking, or to track well enough to make a difference. Then after a while it will lose its mind and run itself into the tripod while trying to find the star it seemed to intentionally lose. I learned on Day 2 of this method that it will easily crash itself into the tripod. I walked away to smoke for 2-3 minutes. When I came back it had ran itself into the tripod causing me to restart PA, etc. Also on Day 2, I had removed the RJ11 and it worked exactly the same as the night before. Tracking works for single star, but also doesn't work as it quickly will lose its star and beginning moving until it hits the tripod. Anyone know what step I am missing, is it the RJ11 cable, is it something else?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Also, does anyone know where I can get a replacement accessory/spreader tray? For some reason I am not finding much on Google. Kinda frustrating.

#2 HubSky

HubSky

Mariner 2

• Loc: Virginia Beach, Virginia

Posted 09 August 2022 - 01:29 AM

I'm guessing here from what you wrote.  Sounds like your not using USB nor the hand controller and only an RJ11 cable.  If so that RJ11 cable has to be an EQMod cable and in ASIAir select EQMod for the mount. 

https://www.amazon.c...B08641FMJR?th=1

Edited by HubSky, 09 August 2022 - 01:30 AM.

#3 JoshuaQ

JoshuaQ

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 August 2022 - 02:19 AM

No, sorry. I am using the hand controller with usb to ASIAIR.

I have the 533 plugged into ASIAIR and then the EAF and guide camera are plugged into the 533. I am not using an RJ11 cable at all at this time. I had the same issue with and without it.

Everything is plugged in and as far as I can tell my PA is on point, but tracking doesn't want to work well enough to use.

#4 michael8554

michael8554

Vanguard

• Loc: Wiltshire UK

Posted 09 August 2022 - 04:29 AM

Hi Joshua

You're going to confuse us if you say "tracking" when you really mean "guiding".

The missing spreader plate may not matter at this stage, if you take steps to prevent the tripod legs moving.

It's hard to understand what is going in from your description.

Do you have a recommended power source for the mount ?

Post a PHD2 GuideLog.

They're in the PHD2 folder, make sure the date in the filename is relevant, and don't post a DebugLog by mistake.

• JoshuaQ likes this

#5 Tangent

Tangent

Ranger 4

• Loc: Texas

Posted 09 August 2022 - 04:45 AM

If you are talking about the little tray spreader, there are a couple of them on sale at Astromart right now, I just did a web search for "synta accessory tray" and they showed up.

• JoshuaQ likes this

#6 Oort Cloud

Oort Cloud

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: New Jersey, USA

Posted 09 August 2022 - 08:58 AM

If using USB through the HC, the HC needs to be set to PC direct, or the commands will never make it past the HC.

#7 AstroVagabond

AstroVagabond

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: San Mateo, CA

Posted 09 August 2022 - 09:18 AM

I wanted to see if anyone might know why my EQ 6R is not liking tracking.

Where are you located in California? There may be a local club that can help you. Working through threads can be a challenge at times. Having face to face conversations with experienced imagers who are familiar with your setup can help you resolve this issue and potentially others before they start.

I would ditch the hand controller, I did, and go direct with EQMOD configured with the correct settings and appropriate cable. 

Good luck and stay patient. Patience is the key to success in this hobby in my view.

Edited by AstroVagabond, 09 August 2022 - 09:19 AM.

• Oort Cloud and JoshuaQ like this

#8 JoshuaQ

JoshuaQ

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 August 2022 - 11:28 AM

Where are you located in California? There may be a local club that can help you. Working through threads can be a challenge at times. Having face to face conversations with experienced imagers who are familiar with your setup can help you resolve this issue and potentially others before they start.

I would ditch the hand controller, I did, and go direct with EQMOD configured with the correct settings and appropriate cable. 

Good luck and stay patient. Patience is the key to success in this hobby in my view.

I am working on updating the ASIAIR OS so it recognizes the mount. The mount is new enough to have the USB port on it, but by default ASIAIR hasn't picked it up, but there I have a download to fix that. 

I did try EQMOD once, and I couldn't get it working on the EQ6R and since I only get so many clear skies, I do what I can to get some images.

I will try the new OS first, then if I still can't get it working, I can try the EQMOD option again.

I am in the Puyallup area. I have not looked for any local astro groups so far.

#9 JoshuaQ

JoshuaQ

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 August 2022 - 11:29 AM

If using USB through the HC, the HC needs to be set to PC direct, or the commands will never make it past the HC.

I am able to control the mount without issue through the HC, as long as I do an alignment first. I don't think I have changed it to PC mode in weeks and it seems to be fine...at least basic functionality. Maybe for guiding the PC direct mode will help/make a difference?

#10 JoshuaQ

JoshuaQ

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 August 2022 - 11:36 AM

Hi Joshua

You're going to confuse us if you say "tracking" when you really mean "guiding".

The missing spreader plate may not matter at this stage, if you take steps to prevent the tripod legs moving.

Post a PHD2 GuideLog.

They're in the PHD2 folder, make sure the date in the filename is relevant, and don't post a DebugLog by mistake.

I am only using ASIAIR at this time, no PHD, unless ASIAIR uses PHD for guiding?

I am using all of the official brand items, Skywatcher  recommended AC adapter for the mount, ZWO AC adapter for ASIAIR. All being powered by the outlet in the house.

My two issues are star trails (Sometimes at 60s exp, but usually at 120s exp they are guaranteed) even though my PA is spot on, and the mount having issues guiding. 

I thought the spreader plate may be the cause of the trails because I thought/think this mount can do much better than 120s without guiding.

If/when it's clear again (Clouds rolled in as I was gonna start troubleshooting tracking last night), I will see if I can get PHD set up (Been a while since I used it) and get logs, if they aren't already part of ASIAIR.

Thanks

#11 JoshuaQ

JoshuaQ

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 August 2022 - 11:45 AM

Hi Joshua

Post a PHD2 GuideLog.

I see that ASIAIR pro does use a version of PHD. I will get some logs for the group to see if we can figure it out that way.

Thank you again.

#12 AstroVagabond

AstroVagabond

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: San Mateo, CA

Posted 09 August 2022 - 11:57 AM

I am working on updating the ASIAIR OS so it recognizes the mount. The mount is new enough to have the USB port on it, but by default ASIAIR hasn't picked it up, but there I have a download to fix that. 

I did try EQMOD once, and I couldn't get it working on the EQ6R and since I only get so many clear skies, I do what I can to get some images.

I will try the new OS first, then if I still can't get it working, I can try the EQMOD option again.

I am in the Puyallup area. I have not looked for any local astro groups so far.

Ah I saw California listed as your location under your avatar. I lived in Bothell for a couple of years when I was working at Microsoft. I get now how precious your available nights are given your location versus mine in California.

So I was just having a conversation Sunday night with a very experienced imager about how difficult it is as a beginner to accept you need to use some nights good for imaging to dial in your rig to ensure performance and trouble free imaging later. 

I made the decision to give up imaging time early on when I first began in January 2021 to understand and learn how to optimize the gear I purchased.

I took the long view over the short term quick hit view. I feel the decision I made paid off for me and was responsible for producing more trouble free nights of imaging where I was able to collect quality data.

We all have our thoughts and strategies on best approach on how to begin. Good luck and clear skies!

Edited by AstroVagabond, 09 August 2022 - 11:58 AM.

• JoshuaQ likes this

#13 JoshuaQ

JoshuaQ

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 August 2022 - 12:20 PM

Thanks @AstroVagabond.

I was using the last night to setup and get guiding working, then little annoying clouds rolled in and wouldn't leave. 

You are correct, it was still listed as CA. I lived in Northern CA for the last like 20-30 years, so it was time to move where I wanted to be. Turns out WA sucks for Astro, haha. I knew it, but never really considered it until it was time to deploy the rig.

I am wondering if I am just skipping something or forgetting an important step cause I've got my routine, but soon as I can I will be tackling the guiding issue exclusively so I can get it sorted out. I have some targets I want to shoot with 300s exp, but I need to figure this out first, like you said. I need to take some time to focus on getting the rig figured out and working as expected.

Ill get some guiding logs for the group to see if it helps, but otherwise I will be spending my next clear night troubleshooting it.

• AstroVagabond likes this

#14 Oort Cloud

Oort Cloud

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 09 August 2022 - 01:53 PM

I am able to control the mount without issue through the HC, as long as I do an alignment first. I don't think I have changed it to PC mode in weeks and it seems to be fine...at least basic functionality. Maybe for guiding the PC direct mode will help/make a difference?

One way to find out...
  • JoshuaQ likes this

#15 RoscoeD

RoscoeD

Ranger 4

Posted 09 August 2022 - 03:32 PM

I found that with a USB B cable direct from AA+ to the EQ6-R, set the mount type in AA+ to Skywatcher WiFi/GTI (which makes no sense but...), and baud to 115200. Worked like a champ for me.

• Oort Cloud and JoshuaQ like this

#16 JoshuaQ

JoshuaQ

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 August 2022 - 05:34 PM

I found that with a USB B cable direct from AA+ to the EQ6-R, set the mount type in AA+ to Skywatcher WiFi/GTI (which makes no sense but...), and baud to 115200. Worked like a champ for me.

I did try this and still could not connect it, but now that I think of it, I may not have aligned it first. This prevents me from connecting to the mount through HC, so maybe I didn't align it before trying this option. I may try it again, in place of the OS update option.

#17 Oort Cloud

Oort Cloud

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 09 August 2022 - 06:53 PM

Direct to the mount, yes 115200.  But the HC has a serial converter behind it, so you need 9600 if connecting USB to the HC, IIRC.

#18 JoshuaQ

JoshuaQ

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 August 2022 - 01:09 PM

Update:

I got about 2 hours of NGC 7023 (Iris Neb). It would have been 4 if I wasn't tinkering with mount and guiding!

Guiding:

I calibrated repeatedly. The second it would act up, I stopped it and tried to guide again. After doing this multiple times while also making minor changes, or target changes, it started to work. It tracked for about 3-4m before the RA goes insane. It has been the same issue the whole time, and I'm not sure I mentioned it. RA is correcting itself, but it eventually just tanks on the graph. Drops below center and just keeps going. All the while the total keeps going up and up and will never stop until I cancel the guiding. 

Well every time it did this I would just stop it and restart. After multiple recalibrations it seemed to be tracking well enough.

I started a live session of 180s for 1hr, I then told it to shoot for another hour once the first completed. It sorta guided through the whole session. I had dithering on and a couple times the total rma would be 4-5, next image it would drop to 2ish, but for some reason it never got under 1 during the session. The previous attempts it was guiding at .40 - .90 total rma. Either way, I believe the tracking was adequate to keep my images decent.

Direct Mount Connection:

I tried aligning it first, then connecting direct to mount. No go.

I removed the HC after the alignment and connection attempt. No go

I switched to PC mode with HC connected. No go. This actually ruined the session and I had to restart mount and realign cause PC mode severed the connection between ASIAIR and mount.

Each attempt the baud was 115200.

I am just going to focus on the OS update for ASIAIR pro as it seems to be the definitive fix. Will let you know how it goes.

Where can I find my logs for guiding in ASIAIR pro? I haven't retrieved them before, so not sure without hunting for them. Assume just on the SD card somewhere?

Thanks all! I'm getting there.

#19 michael8554

michael8554

Vanguard

Posted 13 August 2022 - 07:38 AM

Post the GuideLog......

#20 Oort Cloud

Oort Cloud

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 13 August 2022 - 10:25 AM

Here are my findings, from another thread before I got USB direct to mount working...when going through the HC via USB/PC direct - and - using eqmod cable direct to the HC port on the mount, both required 9600 baud. The only connection that works with 115200 baud is USB direct to the mount, not the HC:

The mount I received apparently has the newer chipset behind the mount's USB port.
I am able to use the AAP with the EQ6 via USB
It has to be connected to the USB port on the hand controller, not on the mount
It can only operate at 9600 baud, 115200 does not work frown.gif
The hand controller has to be in PC direct mode
Will not work with SkySafari Pro
I am able to use the AAP with the EQ6 via EQMOD cable to the HC port (on the mount)
Obviously, can't use the hand controller in this config as the port is in use
It can only operate at 9600 baud, 115200 does not work, again, frown.gif
Will work with SkySafari Pro
  • JoshuaQ likes this

#21 JoshuaQ

JoshuaQ

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 August 2022 - 01:56 PM

Post the GuideLog......

Just fyi, I had asked where to find them on my last post, : (.

I found the log folder under image, but it does not have any data for my recent sessions. Not sure why. 

Here is the log from 7/25 if it helps:

I didn't spend much time on guiding until 8/11 as it was wasting a lot of time trying to troubleshoot it so these logs may not be helpful.

PHD2 version, Log version 2.5. Log enabled at 2022-07-25 23:17:30

Calibration Begins at 2022-07-25 23:17:30
Equipment Profile =
Camera = ZWO ASI120MC-S
Exposure = 4000 ms
Pixel scale = 6.45 arc-sec/px, Binning = 1, Focal length = 120 mm
Mount = SkyWatcher SynScan, Calibration Step = 2000 ms, Assume orthogonal axes = no
Dec = 54.2 deg, Hour angle = 4.33 hr, Pier side = East, Rotator pos = N/A
Lock position = 592.594, 734.457, Star position = 592.563, 734.506, HFD = 4.96 px
Direction,Step,dx,dy,x,y,Dist
West,0,0.000,0.000,592.560,734.537,0.000
West,1,0.458,-0.417,592.102,734.954,0.620
West,2,-14.421,44.073,606.981,690.464,46.373
West calibration complete. Angle = 108.1 deg, Rate = 11.593 px/sec, Parity = Odd
East,2,-14.421,44.073,606.981,690.464,46.373
INFO: STAR LOST during calibration, Mass= 290, SNR= 11.06, Error= 6, Status=Star lost - mass changed
East,1,4.662,22.884,587.899,711.653,23.354
INFO: STAR LOST during calibration, Mass= 802, SNR= 18.99, Error= 6, Status=Star lost - mass changed
East,0,10.966,-11.901,581.595,746.438,16.183
Backlash,0,0.000,0.000,581.595,746.438,0.000
INFO: STAR LOST during calibration, Mass= 1076, SNR= 22.27, Error= 6, Status=Star lost - mass changed
INFO: STAR LOST during calibration, Mass= 1068, SNR= 22.33, Error= 6, Status=Star lost - mass changed
Backlash,1,-4.825,-17.272,586.420,763.711,17.933
INFO: STAR LOST during calibration, Mass= 148, SNR= 8.07, Error= 6, Status=Star lost - mass changed
INFO: STAR LOST during calibration, Mass= 104, SNR= 6.60, Error= 6, Status=Star lost - mass changed
INFO: STAR LOST during calibration, Mass= 128, SNR= 7.49, Error= 6, Status=Star lost - mass changed
INFO: STAR LOST during calibration, Mass= 144, SNR= 8.01, Error= 6, Status=Star lost - mass changed
INFO: STAR LOST during calibration, Mass= 147, SNR= 8.19, Error= 6, Status=Star lost - mass changed
INFO: STAR LOST during calibration, Mass= 134, SNR= 7.77, Error= 6, Status=Star lost - mass changed
INFO: STAR LOST during calibration, Mass= 141, SNR= 7.78, Error= 6, Status=Star lost - mass changed
Backlash,2,17.166,-37.287,564.428,783.725,41.049
North,0,0.000,0.000,564.428,783.725,0.000
North,1,8.680,-42.844,555.748,826.570,43.715
North calibration complete. Angle = 101.5 deg, Rate = 21.857 px/sec, Parity = Odd
South,1,8.680,-42.844,555.748,826.570,43.715
South,0,-15.566,-5.689,579.994,789.414,16.573
Calibration complete, mount = SkyWatcher SynScan.

Guiding Begins at 2022-07-25 23:18:51
Dither = both axes, Dither scale = 1.000, Image noise reduction = none, Guide-frame time lapse = 0, Server disabled
Pixel scale = 6.45 arc-sec/px, Binning = 1, Focal length = 120 mm
Search region = 50 px, Star mass tolerance = 50.0%
Equipment Profile =
Camera = ZWO ASI120MC-S, gain = 81, full size = 1280 x 960, no dark, no defect map, pixel size = 3.8 um
Exposure = 4000 ms
Mount = SkyWatcher SynScan,  connected, guiding enabled, xAngle = 108.1, xRate = 11.593, yAngle = 101.5, yRate = 21.857, parity = -/-,
X guide algorithm = Hysteresis, Hysteresis = 0.100, Aggression = 0.700, Minimum move = 0.100
Y guide algorithm = Resist Switch, Minimum move = 0.100 Aggression = 100% FastSwitch = enabled
Backlash comp = disabled, pulse = 0 ms
Calibration step = phdlab_placeholder, Max RA duration = 2000, Max DEC duration = 2000, DEC guide mode = Auto
RA Guide Speed = Unknown, Dec Guide Speed = Unknown, Cal Dec = 39.7, Last Cal Issue = Steps, Timestamp = Unknown
Dec = 44.6 deg, Hour angle = 4.36 hr, Pier side = East, Rotator pos = N/A
Lock position = 592.594, 734.457, Star position = 579.994, 789.414, HFD = 5.11 px
Frame,Time,mount,dx,dy,RARawDistance,DECRawDistance,RAGuideDistance,DECGuideDistance,RADuration,RADirection,DECDuration,DECDirection,XStep,YStep,StarMass,SNR,ErrorCode
INFO: SETTLING STATE CHANGE, Settling started
1,7.885,"Mount",-28.210,49.618,55.930,-56.873,35.236,-56.873,2000,W,2000,N,,,135,7.68,0
2,15.871,"Mount",-28.134,49.190,55.500,-56.453,37.432,-56.453,2000,W,2000,N,,,148,8.13,0
3,23.852,"Mount",-28.230,49.598,55.918,-56.864,37.849,-56.864,2000,W,2000,N,,,132,7.64,0
4,31.861,"Mount",9.211,75.241,68.646,-64.451,45.897,-64.451,2000,W,2000,N,,,160,8.25,0
5,39.881,"Mount",-28.115,49.641,55.922,-56.854,38.444,-56.854,2000,W,2000,N,,,116,7.20,0
6,43.647,"DROP",,,,,,,,,,,,,1018,21.64,6,"Star lost - mass changed"
7,47.674,"DROP",,,,,,,,,,,,,1404,25.58,6,"Star lost - mass changed"
8,51.689,"DROP",,,,,,,,,,,,,1193,23.61,6,"Star lost - mass changed"
9,55.628,"DROP",,,,,,,,,,,,,1263,24.34,6,"Star lost - mass changed"
10,63.873,"Mount",5.259,100.372,93.760,-88.924,61.760,-88.924,2000,W,2000,N,,,1251,24.18,0
INFO: SETTLING STATE CHANGE, Settling failed
11,71.844,"Mount",-36.660,92.328,99.150,-99.192,66.788,-99.192,2000,W,2000,N,,,119,7.20,0
12,79.862,"Mount",-28.485,49.582,55.981,-56.956,39.943,-56.956,2000,W,2000,N,,,156,8.30,0
13,83.682,"DROP",,,,,,,,,,,,,132,7.71,6,"Star lost - mass changed"
14,87.646,"DROP",,,,,,,,,,,,,125,7.44,6,"Star lost - mass changed"
15,91.655,"DROP",,,,,,,,,,,,,113,7.06,6,"Star lost - mass changed"
16,99.901,"Mount",-28.360,49.755,56.107,-57.061,38.144,-57.061,2000,W,2000,N,,,140,7.89,0
17,103.664,"DROP",,,,,,,,,,,,,2026,30.88,6,"Star lost - mass changed"
18,107.678,"DROP",,,,,,,,,,,,,2259,32.84,6,"Star lost - mass changed"
19,111.622,"DROP",,,,,,,,,,,,,2585,35.08,6,"Star lost - mass changed"
20,115.676,"DROP",,,,,,,,,,,,,2279,32.90,6,"Star lost - mass changed"
21,119.663,"DROP",,,,,,,,,,,,,2391,33.70,6,"Star lost - mass changed"
22,127.856,"Mount",-36.982,76.967,84.651,-85.381,56.000,-85.381,2000,W,2000,N,,,2247,32.72,0
23,131.681,"DROP",,,,,,,,,,,,,147,8.04,6,"Star lost - mass changed"
24,135.625,"DROP",,,,,,,,,,,,,130,7.58,6,"Star lost - mass changed"
25,139.678,"DROP",,,,,,,,,,,,,135,7.85,6,"Star lost - mass changed"
26,143.686,"DROP",,,,,,,,,,,,,137,7.77,6,"Star lost - mass changed"
27,147.625,"DROP",,,,,,,,,,,,,134,7.79,6,"Star lost - mass changed"
28,151.670,"DROP",,,,,,,,,,,,,129,7.56,6,"Star lost - mass changed"
29,159.873,"Mount",-28.131,49.611,55.899,-56.834,39.137,-56.834,2000,W,2000,N,,,127,7.43,0
30,167.848,"Mount",-28.698,49.616,56.080,-57.076,38.070,-57.076,2000,W,2000,N,,,162,8.43,0

#22 JoshuaQ

JoshuaQ

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 August 2022 - 04:39 PM

Good news! I was able to get the EQ6R Pro working with ASIAIR Pro. It did require updating the ASIAIR Pro OS, which was not too bad. The biggest issue was my root drive not having enough free space to unzip the img (Even though I was unzipping to a different drive, but Windows).

So one item is resolved.

Now I just need to keep tinkering with the guiding, which very well may work, even if not perfect. The other night it did track for 2 hours, just with a very high RMS for an EQ6R. At times it was at 7.0 - 8.0 after dithering, but it never lost track like it had most other attempt. Now I just need to figure out how to get it to < 1 rms and keep it there. It had tracked at .5 -.8 for a few minutes at one point, but then RA drops off the chart and never stops. 

I will add updated logs as soon as I get some. I don't know why I don't have logs from 7/26 to present as I've had multiple sessions since then. It only had logs from 7/25 that did not include any up to date details.

#23 Oort Cloud

Oort Cloud

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 13 August 2022 - 06:46 PM

You can reduce the dither distance in the guide settings, but it is normal for it to spike when dithering, as that is the point of dithering after all.

If you're having trouble getting under 1" or even .5" really, I would check your balance and look for dragging cables.

Edited by Oort Cloud, 13 August 2022 - 06:56 PM.

• JoshuaQ likes this

#24 JoshuaQ

JoshuaQ

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 August 2022 - 06:52 PM

You can reduce the dither distance in the guide settings, but it is not al for it to spike when dithering, as that is the point of dithering after all.

If you're having trouble getting under 1" or even .5" really, I would check your balance and look for dragging cables.

Will do, and Ill see if I can secure them better because that step is overdue on this mount. Thanks

#25 michael8554

michael8554

Vanguard

Posted 14 August 2022 - 08:18 AM

Glad you seem to be getting on top of the problems.

I'm afraid your 25th July GuideLog was no help, awful Calibration, which mean the guiding was awful too.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics