•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Who is doing the 2024 eclipse?

282 replies to this topic

#276 Tom Laskowski

Tom Laskowski

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: South Bend, Indiana, USA

Posted 26 February 2024 - 01:30 PM

I just saw this billboard near my house. We are not on the path of totality. But it's nice to know that it's starting to get real.

Attached Thumbnails

• 0975.jpg

Edited by Tom Laskowski, 26 February 2024 - 01:30 PM.

• chvvkumar, jrussell and CreatorsHand like this

#277 mogur

mogur

Skylab

• Loc: Pueblo, CO

Posted 26 February 2024 - 01:53 PM

Bell county in Texas (between Austin & Waco) has declared a state of emergency due to the expected influx of visitors. Some pretty strict rules have been stated. Who knows whether they will be enforced? They are expecting food, water and gasoline shortages! 

• Diana N likes this

#278 jrussell

jrussell

Ranger 4

• Loc: DFW Texas

Posted 26 February 2024 - 03:25 PM

Bell county in Texas (between Austin & Waco) has declared a state of emergency due to the expected influx of visitors. Some pretty strict rules have been stated. Who knows whether they will be enforced? They are expecting food, water and gasoline shortages! 

Interesting that they've done that. I haven't seen anything as far as promotions for any kind of eclipse events there as opposed to so many other towns along the path that are heavily promoting "Come here to see the eclipse!" From what little I have read about them doing that part of the reason was their fear of people pulling over on I-35, or even stopping in the middle of the highway. Kind of a valid concern since 35 bottlenecks through Temple although not as badly as it does other places.

• Diana N likes this

#279 mikepier

mikepier

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Long Island, NY

Posted 26 February 2024 - 03:35 PM

Here is a great  podcast with NYC weatherman Lee Goldberg and Joe Rao talking about the eclipse. I enjoyed watching this, especially  at the 11:00 mark where Joe says he reserved hotel rooms in various towns, and will wait to see the weather forecasts to pick which town has the best forecast, and cancel the rest of the reservations.

Great minds think alike!

https://www.youtube....h?v=ZhyUrESHjgs

Edited by mikepier, 26 February 2024 - 03:56 PM.

#280 kfiscus

kfiscus

Cosmos

• Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA

Posted 26 February 2024 - 05:43 PM

The news stories that I saw about the emergency order were aimed at property owners / hosts.  The officials want to know how many people will be where.

• Diana N and jrussell like this

#281 Diana N

Diana N

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Omaha, Nebraska

Posted 26 February 2024 - 06:15 PM

I just saw this billboard near my house. We are not on the path of totality. But it's nice to know that it's starting to get real.

Omaha's nowhere near the path of totality, but I saw a stand with eclipse glasses for sale in the grocery store yesterday!  (I checked, and they were the good ones made by American Paper Optics.)  so yes, people are becoming more aware as the Big Day approaches.

#282 mogur

mogur

Skylab

• Loc: Pueblo, CO

Posted 26 February 2024 - 06:36 PM

The news stories that I saw about the emergency order were aimed at property owners / hosts.  The officials want to know how many people will be where.

Yes. Groups of over 50 people will need to get a permit.

#283 Alan D. Whitman

Alan D. Whitman

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: South of Penticton, British Columbia

Posted 26 February 2024 - 06:38 PM

From what little I have read about them doing that part of the reason was their fear of people pulling over on I-35, or even stopping in the middle of the highway. Kind of a valid concern since 35 bottlenecks through Temple although not as badly as it does other places.

In 2019 in Chile the police were directing the eclipse-chasers to huge organized observing areas in the desert above the freeway. But they must not have expected the many thousands who came north from Santiago and Valparaiso because, looking down from our parking spot, I saw the shoulders of the freeway suddenly parked solid beginning about 15 minutes before totality.

Edited by Alan D. Whitman, 26 February 2024 - 06:42 PM.

Reply to this topic

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics