•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Who is doing the 2024 eclipse?

257 replies to this topic

#151 mogur

mogur

Skylab

• Loc: Pueblo, CO

Posted 18 October 2023 - 01:46 PM

During a total eclipse, can one see anything with a H-alpha scope? I was thinking that maybe the corona might be visible.

#152 Napp

Napp

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Northeast Florida, USA

Posted 18 October 2023 - 02:03 PM

During a total eclipse, can one see anything with a H-alpha scope? I was thinking that maybe the corona might be visible.

No. The corona will be naked eye visible during totality.  You can’t see it with an ha scope.  You do not want any filtering during totality - but only during totality.

• mogur and flt158 like this

#153 Cliff C

Cliff C

Mariner 2

• Loc: Long Island, NY

Posted 23 October 2023 - 11:42 AM

Mogur,

If there are some good size prominences visible through the H-Alpha scope, when you pull away from the scope during totality you should be able to see them with the naked eye. That's something you can't do every day!

Cliff

• SpaceConqueror3 and flt158 like this

#154 SteveInNZ

SteveInNZ

Apollo

• Loc: Auckland, New Zealand

Posted 23 October 2023 - 03:33 PM

I'm not sure on the idea of having an H-alpha scope at an eclipse.

One of the magic moments of a total is seeing the proms appear for the first time. 

I certainly wouldn't want to have an H-alpha view at the expense of seeing the true color of the proms/chromosphere with an unfiltered scope. That's the only time you'll see what Hydrogen (with a little Helium seasoning) emission looks like with your own eyes.

Steve.

• R Botero likes this

#155 APshooter

APshooter

Aurora

• Loc: Camby, In.

Posted 23 October 2023 - 06:08 PM

Speaking out for Ha, if you're photographing the event you gain a different look from white light images...if fact in the last two eclipses I've done I've managed to capture two flare events as the moon traversed the sun. By all means observe with your eyes totality: you don't want to miss that! But if an Ha scope is off to the side as a separate imaging scope you can almost ignore it and let it capture its unique record of the event.

#156 RickInRochester

RickInRochester

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 11 November 2023 - 11:03 AM

I am from Rochester, NY but will be going to Fredricksburg, TX. Got rained out just north of Kansas City in 2017 so I expect the clouds to follow me to Texas also!

• rowdy388 and Danny Linguini like this

#157 Danny Linguini

Danny Linguini

Ranger 4

• Loc: Northeast US

Posted 12 November 2023 - 12:52 AM

I am from Rochester, NY but will be going to Fredricksburg, TX. Got rained out just north of Kansas City in 2017 so I expect the clouds to follow me to Texas also!

Yes, please take them with you to Texas, so maybe, just maybe, I’ll have a view of something besides clouds in NH. lol.gif

#158 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

James Webb Space Telescope

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 12 November 2023 - 04:23 AM

Totality will pass right over my house here in Springwater, NY. The weather will be crystal clear and mild with great seeing and a pleasant breeze induced by the shadow. I'll forget it's Daylight Savings Time and be mowing the lawn when it suddenly and inexplicably gets profoundly dark. On the positive side, I'll later appear on the National News, explaining how it feels to be stupid. That will lead to a career as a motivational speaker. I'll use the proceeds to fly my private jet to all subsequent eclipses.  --- At least that's my eclipse plans.    Tom

Attached Thumbnails

• 135.2 2024 eclipse tom.jpg

• R Botero, Cliff C, tturtle and 6 others like this

#159 Lord Beowulf

Lord Beowulf

Vanguard

• Loc: Bertram, TX

Posted 12 November 2023 - 07:26 PM

Yes, please take them with you to Texas, so maybe, just maybe, I’ll have a view of something besides clouds in NH. lol.gif

Hey, wait a minute!  My uncle's place is Fredericksburg is one of my alternates if we get clouded out here in Central Texas!    Either way, we're really at a 50-50 here in Texas around that time of year...  Here's hoping.

Beo

Edited by Lord Beowulf, 12 November 2023 - 07:27 PM.

• jrussell and Danny Linguini like this

#160 rowdy388

rowdy388

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Saratoga County, NY

Posted 20 December 2023 - 08:43 PM

I also traveled to Kansas City for the 2017 eclipse. Stayed with my sister who lives there. We went up to Smithville Lake State Park

during the event. The rain hit our area no more than five minutes after totality ended. Historic flooding in the area.

This time I'm just taking a two hour drive north to Plattsburg and will take my chances. It seems a shame for you to leave Rochester

which is in the center of totality, but I understand why you are doing it. Best of luck to us both!

#161 marvyyk

marvyyk

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: St-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Quebec

Posted 20 December 2023 - 08:44 PM

I do if... if the clouds...

In my area, it is 35-65... 65% cloudy... hum...

#162 brionl

brionl

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: California Bay Area

Posted 21 December 2023 - 01:16 PM

I do if... if the clouds...

In my area, it is 35-65... 65% cloudy... hum...

I was looking at the weather maps, and it looks like just about everywhere outside the Pacific coast of Mexico is at ~50% or higher chance of clouds.

#163 kfiscus

kfiscus

Cosmos

• Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA

Posted 21 December 2023 - 04:38 PM

I was looking at the weather maps, and it looks like just about everywhere outside the Pacific coast of Mexico is at ~50% or higher chance of clouds.

Yep.  April is less than ideal.  I'll be in Mazatlan (as west as you can get).

• bunyon and Mtnlion667 like this

#164 bunyon

bunyon

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NC

Posted 22 December 2023 - 10:33 AM

Mazatlan and the highlands in Mexico are the place to be. If not for needing to be at work at least by Wednesday that's where I'd be.

• Mtnlion667 likes this

#165 ehanes7612

ehanes7612

Messenger

• Loc: Seattle, Wa

Posted 22 December 2023 - 05:00 PM

If the eclipse had been in 2023...even south Texas (san Antonio) was looking at mostly cloudy and rain..wasn't there a major storm with tornadoes along the path of the  2024 eclipse in 2023 on April 8th ? We can only hope it doesnt happen this year

Edited by ehanes7612, 22 December 2023 - 05:00 PM.

#166 mikepier

mikepier

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Long Island, NY

Posted 24 December 2023 - 07:40 AM

If the eclipse had been in 2023...even south Texas (san Antonio) was looking at mostly cloudy and rain..wasn't there a major storm with tornadoes along the path of the  2024 eclipse in 2023 on April 8th ? We can only hope it doesnt happen this year

I was in Buffalo on April 8, 2017 visiting my son at University at Buffalo, and it was snowing.

Earlier this year, April 8, 2023, and for the rest of that week, most of upstate NY enjoyed clear and above normal temps.

I'm trying to be cautiously optimistic.

• SpaceConqueror3 likes this

#167 AccidentalVulcan

AccidentalVulcan

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 03 January 2024 - 08:29 PM

I just decided to go see the eclipse today. I was on the fence about it. I saw the 2017 one with my boyfriend and daughter and the conditions were perfect. Not a cloud in the sky, perfect weather, and a great crowd around us. We were in a spot in the middle of nowhere, but also right in the middle of the central line.

My daughter is now in college in upstate New York and the university is in the path of the totality (but not central line). I wasn't sure about spending the money to stay in a hotel because it might be cloudy. But after thinking it over for a couple of months, I decided it's worth it and I got a hotel room for April 7-9. And as luck would have it, my daughter's last class of the day gets out a full hour ahead of the maximum eclipse and my hotel is really close to the building she will be in for her last class.

I figure, even if it's cloudy, it will still get dark in the middle of the day. So even if it's overcast, all that means is that it will be a totally different eclipse from the one I experienced in 2017... at least visually. I wonder if it will sound the same as in 2017. I wonder if the change in temperature will feel the same too. It will be interesting to compare the two experiences. And as a bonus, I get to visit my daughter in college! The only drawback is my boyfriend might not be able to make it this time. Well, the other drawback will probably be the traffic too. That was horrible in 2017. I am hoping by traveling back on April 9 I won't get stuck in traffic like we did in 2017.

(Edit: had to fix a couple of mistakes that were bugging me).

Edited by AccidentalVulcan, 03 January 2024 - 10:26 PM.

• afrancis, rockethead26, rowdy388 and 2 others like this

#168 Mtnlion667

Mtnlion667

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: New Mexico

Posted 03 January 2024 - 10:57 PM

Yep.  April is less than ideal.  I'll be in Mazatlan (as west as you can get).

Likewise!  flights and rooms from NM to TX were the same as NM (Juarez) to Mazatlan. No brainer...

#169 MEE

MEE

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 05 January 2024 - 11:51 AM

If the eclipse had been in 2023...even south Texas (san Antonio) was looking at mostly cloudy and rain..wasn't there a major storm with tornadoes along the path of the 2024 eclipse in 2023 on April 8th ? We can only hope it doesnt happen this year

Previous April 8ths with multiple severe weather reports somewhere along the totality path (winds over 58 mph, 1” hail, or tornadoes):

https://www.spc.noaa...10408_rpts.html -2021

https://www.spc.noaa...0408_rpts.html- 2020

https://www.spc.noaa...50408_rpts.html - 2015

https://www.spc.noaa...10408_rpts.html - 2011

https://www.spc.noaa...80408_rpts.html - 2008

https://www.spc.noaa...20408_rpts.html - 2002

Compare this to https://cimss.ssec.w...April_8ths.html

This shows images taken on April 8ths at 19h UT, which is totality over S Illinois (the shadow moves fast, so totality times to the SW and NE from there are not significantly different

Most severe weather would take place in the late afternoon, after totality has passed. There cooling effect of the shadow could dissipate some convective clouds, but only if they are still in the “popcorn” cumulus phase, and still somewhat ragged.

That being said, people visiting the path should educate themselves on severe weather safety: if storms do develop later that afternoon, it’s good to know how to dodge the most dangerous parts, or seek proper shelter

Edited by MEE, 05 January 2024 - 12:10 PM.

• ehanes7612 likes this

#170 ehanes7612

ehanes7612

Messenger

Posted 05 January 2024 - 04:18 PM

There doesn't seem to be as much hype for this eclipse as the one in 2017 but I suspect it's because of the time of year for each.

Edited by ehanes7612, 05 January 2024 - 04:18 PM.

• flt158 likes this

#171 foxwoodastronomy

foxwoodastronomy

Vendor - Solar Eclipse Timer

• Vendors
  • Loc: Alabama

Posted 06 January 2024 - 06:09 AM

In 2017, most of the hype from the regular media, directed to the general public, ramped up a couple of weeks before the eclipse.  Unfortunately, that is late if someone is just being made aware of the event because it limits the ability to plan to get to it.  I am hoping that the media starts earlier for 2024.

• flt158 and AccidentalVulcan like this

#172 AccidentalVulcan

AccidentalVulcan

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 06 January 2024 - 09:33 PM

In 2017, most of the hype from the regular media, directed to the general public, ramped up a couple of weeks before the eclipse.  Unfortunately, that is late if someone is just being made aware of the event because it limits the ability to plan to get to it.  I am hoping that the media starts earlier for 2024.

Yeah, I haven't seen much in the general media. I was actually surprised that I got a hotel room for it this late (although I think the hotel knows, the prices are higher for the dates around the eclipse then at other times).

#173 mogur

mogur

Skylab

• Loc: Pueblo, CO

Posted 07 January 2024 - 12:50 PM

I just decided to go see the eclipse today. I was on the fence about it. I saw the 2017 one with my boyfriend and daughter and the conditions were perfect. Not a cloud in the sky, perfect weather, and a great crowd around us. We were in a spot in the middle of nowhere, but also right in the middle of the central line.

My daughter is now in college in upstate New York and the university is in the path of the totality (but not central line). I wasn't sure about spending the money to stay in a hotel because it might be cloudy. But after thinking it over for a couple of months, I decided it's worth it and I got a hotel room for April 7-9. And as luck would have it, my daughter's last class of the day gets out a full hour ahead of the maximum eclipse and my hotel is really close to the building she will be in for her last class.

I figure, even if it's cloudy, it will still get dark in the middle of the day. So even if it's overcast, all that means is that it will be a totally different eclipse from the one I experienced in 2017... at least visually. I wonder if it will sound the same as in 2017. I wonder if the change in temperature will feel the same too. It will be interesting to compare the two experiences. And as a bonus, I get to visit my daughter in college! The only drawback is my boyfriend might not be able to make it this time. Well, the other drawback will probably be the traffic too. That was horrible in 2017. I am hoping by traveling back on April 9 I won't get stuck in traffic like we did in 2017.

(Edit: had to fix a couple of mistakes that were bugging me).

This is the way to do it folks. Go somewhere that even if the weather is bad you get to see a friend or family member anyway. Perhaps somewhere there are other attractions nearby to make the trip worthwhile. My sister lives right under totality. I haven't seen her in several years. I'll take my observing gear and be ready for the event but if it doesn't work out, I'll still get to go golfing with her and do other things. There is life outside of astronomy!

• rowdy388 and AccidentalVulcan like this

#174 98105dude

98105dude

Ranger 4

Posted 07 January 2024 - 10:28 PM

I love my family, but traveling somewhere where it will probably be cloudy - AND not settling down in the middle of the path of totality - seems illogical to me. 

• Rickycardo and AccidentalVulcan like this

#175 ehanes7612

ehanes7612

Messenger

Posted 08 January 2024 - 01:28 AM

General media wont hype up an event like this until it's close anyway. In 2017 there was a famous festival that was being thrown in Oregon for the eclipse that attracted 30,000 people (sold out way in advance) and while many couldn't go to this festival...it was being talked a lot among festival goers along the west coast...which spread around a great deal on social media and and most likely filtered to mainstream thru friends and family. Perhaps because it went from one corner of the US to the other is also why it attracted so much hype.  It basically went thru the center of the country west to east...easier access for the entire country..

This one is more difficult for west coast .. just wont attract nearly as much from a good portion of the country

• AccidentalVulcan likes this

Reply to this topic

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics