•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Bad aberrations with Rokinon SP 14mm F/2.4 lens

Optics
  • Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Seb@sTro

Seb@sTro

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Shannon, QC, Canada

Posted 11 August 2022 - 05:16 PM

Hi,

I was wondering if some people are getting bad aberrations out of their Rokinon SP 14mm F/2.4 (the "premium" line, not the cheaper 14mm  F/2.8).

I bought one directly from the manufacturer about a month ago and I've been chatting with their tech support about what I consider is unacceptable performance since then.

They just won't recognize that my lens is underperforming (neither that it is defective) even after I sent the following comparison with my Canon 18-55mm kit lens that a got with my T4i/650D a while back. They even told me that the "lens is not made specifically for astrophotography. Therefore some aberrations when shooting astrophotography should be expected. This is not a defect on this lens and a replacement will have the same results."

To be fair, I get the point that some aberrations should be expected, I mean, I wasn't expecting a triplet refractor performance and I told them that but when you go to their website, they show a lot of astro shots on that specific lens model page with much better star shapes so saying it not specifically made for ap with such marketing material is misleading to say the least... 

It is also very disappointing since every review I looked online seemed to show great performance (especially for the price) with that lens. What's even more frustrating is they won't issue an RMA since I'm in Canada and they won't refund the return shipping cost/customs.

Anyway, I did not intend this post to be rant but I was curious to see if this kind of performance is common with that model among those who use it for wide angle astrophotography. So I can decide if I take a chance and ask for a replacement OR otherwise a refund...

Let me know what you think....

LensCompare1

LensCompare2

LensCompareDay (edit: link corrected)

Edited by Seb@sTro, 11 August 2022 - 05:46 PM.

#2 Tapio

Tapio

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----
  • Loc: Tampere, Finland

Posted 11 August 2022 - 05:37 PM

AP is a hars thest for camera lenses and not all of them pass (even the premium lenses).

That second example is pretty odd though. Almost if there was some tilt.

Are all corners equally bad ?

You could try slowing down the lens to f/4. See if that makes a difference.

• Jim Waters likes this

#3 cinenosin

cinenosin

Sputnik

• Loc: Montgomery, TX

Posted 11 August 2022 - 05:37 PM

That's really bad.  Sad to say, but this is a bad copy.  The lower tier lenses are often a great purchase, but sometimes are not worth it.  Most lenses work best when stopped down two stops.  For your f/2.4, try it at f/4 and see if you get more acceptable results.  You can send it to a lab to get it aligned, but you may end up paying as much as a new lens.  If not, sell it to a daylight photographer and stick with Canon.

#4 vidrazor

vidrazor

Gemini

• Loc: North Bergen, NJ

Posted 11 August 2022 - 06:00 PM

I would send it back.

#5 Seb@sTro

Seb@sTro

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 11 August 2022 - 06:21 PM

I might try stopping it down a bit (f/2.8), but obviously the point of getting that lens was to use it as wide as quality would allow. At F/4, my canon 18-55mm gathers more light than this lens (with narrower FoV of course), kind of defeating the point of having the Rokinon in the first place.

@Tapio: Indeed the right side is a bit worse.

Here is the entire frame. Even the trees on the right look out of focus...

@cinenosin: Yes that IS bad. And to me, Rokinon not recognizing this is even worse. I'm not particularly impressed by their customer support at this point. I guess the pricing might explain that, but still it seems they don't stand behind their products, even the "premium" line...

I don’t think I’m gonna send it to a lab but I find the idea interesting nonetheless.

Anyway, if anyone who actually has that lens can post a shot, I would be interested to see how bad mine is in comparison.

Edited by Seb@sTro, 11 August 2022 - 06:41 PM.

#6 vidrazor

vidrazor

Gemini

Posted 11 August 2022 - 08:40 PM

Dude, just send that back. It's not worth your money.

#7 Seb@sTro

Seb@sTro

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 August 2022 - 08:46 AM

@vidrazor: As I said, I might well be doing that, I just wanted to get a feel of how unlucky I was, as many (serious) reviews I read/watched were getting decent results from that lens.

So I’ll keep the thread alive for a little while to see if some actual users chime in.

#8 Tapio

Tapio

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----
  • Loc: Tampere, Finland

Posted 12 August 2022 - 08:55 AM

We have like 14 days of return policy here in Europe. I'm not sure if it's different there.

The 'cheaper line' of Samyangs had quite of lot of quality difference. Maybe not with premium lenses, but who knows.

#9 BPoletti

BPoletti

Messenger

Posted 12 August 2022 - 11:23 AM

If it was paid for using a credit card, you have serious leverage to force them into accepting a return and giving a refund.  You may be out shipping, but that might be a small price to pay for relieving you of the stress.  

#10 Seb@sTro

Seb@sTro

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 August 2022 - 06:49 PM

@ Tapio: It's 30 days here but I have contacted them like 2 days after I got it and been in touch since so I'm pretty sure they will accept a return/refund.

@BPoletti: Yeah I'm leaning toward that more and as time goes by... 

Will still wait a coupe of days to see if someone posts a shot taken with this lens. If no one does I will kind of have an implicit answer anyway I guess. 

Thanks for the replies so far, guys. It helps make my mind...

#11 BPoletti

BPoletti

Messenger

Posted 12 August 2022 - 09:28 PM

@BPoletti: Yeah I'm leaning toward that more and as time goes by... 

Will still wait a coupe of days to see if someone posts a shot taken with this lens. If no one does I will kind of have an implicit answer anyway I guess. 

Thanks for the replies so far, guys. It helps make my mind...

If you're going to leverage credit card rules, don't wait too long.  There are time limits.

#12 Seb@sTro

Seb@sTro

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 August 2022 - 12:31 PM

If you're going to leverage credit card rules, don't wait too long.  There are time limits.

Yes, I am aware, thank you.

I just contacted Rokinon again and they are still ok with a return/refund so that should not be a problem at least.

#13 Alen K

Alen K

Surveyor 1

Posted 13 August 2022 - 01:05 PM

So then the question becomes, what do you replace it with? I would make a suggestion but it depends on what you wanted to use a 14mm lens for. If you need to do single, wide-angle shots (14mm on APS-C cannot still be described as ultra-wide-angle) of say, aurora or meteor showers, then you might still need a similar focal length. But for almost anything else, doing a mosaic with something like a 24mm lens is demonstrably a better way to go, albeit with more up-front effort.

#14 vidrazor

vidrazor

Gemini

Posted 13 August 2022 - 01:24 PM

Yes, I am aware, thank you.
I just contacted Rokinon again and they are still ok with a return/refund so that should not be a problem at least.

I'm at a loss however why you just don't return it. It's obviously faulty, and you're just wasting your time with it. Just return it and either get another sample, or another lens altogether.

Many times you may need to go through multiple samples to get a good copy, a time consuming process in it's own right. It would great if lenses were manufactured to tighter standards, but they're not, and it can become quite an Easter Egg Hunt to obtain a good copy of any lens if you don't luck out first time out.
  • BPoletti likes this

#15 Kevin_A

Kevin_A

Viking 1

• Loc: Belmont, Ontario Canada

Posted 15 August 2022 - 07:15 PM

Return it if you can but sometimes it is better to buy thu a dealer as they usually have no issues taking it back. I just did that today with a Sigma Art 40mm f1.4 that was $1200. Dealer just took it and returned my money. 

#16 Seb@sTro

Seb@sTro

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 August 2022 - 02:47 PM

The lens is back to Rokinon as of today and I've managed to convince them to test it prior to issuing the refund. They told me that if it does not meet their manufacturing tolerance, they will also refund the original shipping cost. So possibly a small win there. It'll be interesting to see what their final word is on this.

I also found out how to get the customs and taxes refunded, so all in all, I might not have lost much (except time).

@Kevin: That will indeed be my strategy too from now on. Maybe even ask for loan before purchase or something.

@vidazor: I would agree but I had my expectations high because of all the good independent reviews I read and the fact that it is supposed to be their premium line. Seems I was wrong. Lesson learned. Will probably never buy again from this company in the future anyway.

Adding to that, @Alen aimed right at it, what other options are there in this price point ?

While I'm waiting for the end of the saga, suggestions of actual users are welcome as I am now officially back in the market for a wide angle. Sigma 14mm F/1.8 ? Zeiss Milvus 2.8/15 ? Nikon + mount adapter, which one ?

From what I read, Canon's seem to be a bit behind in terms of aberration control in the corners for ap, so I'd prefer to avoid. Plus they're pricey... But so is Zeiss, and possibly others, so I might end up biting the bullet anyway...

My main use for this lens is to shoot high resolution timelapses for my website. So preferably, I'd rather stay below 14mm f/2.8 to limit pre-processing (mosaic is out of question). 12mm f/2 would be my sweet spot (avoiding Rokinon/Samyang/Tokinon and the like).

#17 Seb@sTro

Seb@sTro

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 August 2022 - 07:50 PM

To wrap this up, they tested the lens as not meeting their specs yesterday and sent my full refund (including initial shipping cost) right away, so in the end they did well.

Just lost the return shipping cost (about 60$) which is a small lost overall and was to be expected as it is often the case in the manufacturer's return policy for international sale. So not too sad to take this one on me...

No suggestions on similar lenses I could buy ?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Optics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics