•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

FedEx Gorillas broke my telescope

Equipment
  • Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#51 MarkMittlesteadt

MarkMittlesteadt

Gemini

• Loc: Weston, WI. USA

Posted 17 August 2022 - 04:29 PM

I once had a Celestron OMNI 150 reflector shipped to me. It appeared as if it were never opened by the online retailer (no tape marks where it might have been examined and re-taped). It came in a single thin walled cardboard box, and the only packing in it were two, cheap, white, staticky, bead type styrofoam end pieces cut out to fit around the OTA. The OTA was in a clear, thin plastic bag. On the secondary mirror end the fitted styrofoam piece was broken in half and loose in the box, leaving the OTA to flop around loosely in the box (now filled with static beads of styrofoam). Thankfully the primary mirror end of it was still tight in the other styrofoam end. 

The scope was fine, but they might as well just threw it into any old empty box and slapped a shipping label on it. 

Edited by MarkMittlesteadt, 17 August 2022 - 04:32 PM.

#52 Chad7531

Chad7531

Vanguard

• Loc: Defiance, OH

Posted 17 August 2022 - 06:27 PM

I used to carry mail for USPS. The people that sort the packages in the morning throw every package they can throw across the room into different bins, sometimes heavy ones would just fall right through lighter ones underneath. If they couldn’t throw it then it was pretty safe, dog food was pretty safe.

#53 airbleeder

airbleeder

Gemini

• Loc: Powder Springs, Georgia

Posted 18 August 2022 - 11:26 AM

All shipping companies rely on some type of geo-location software for addresses. They simply don't pay enough for drivers to stick around and really learn the routes. Even the very few that do pay a decent wage (UPS) rotate their drivers so frequently it's impossible to build relationships with their customers. 99% of shipping customers want a caviar service on a KD budget.

What you end up getting is subcontractors working for subcontractors all paying as little as possible, making impossible promises to the customer, giving the employees zero reasons to care. If you want your employees to care about your customers, you have to care about your employees. I've yet to see any single Amazon contractor or sub do that, as soon as they realize they're just another cog in the wheel and easily replaceable. While I'm personally picking on Amazon from recent bias, all shipping companies behave the same. 

Paying more for someone to not do their job makes no sense to me, but there are many who think it does. Used  to be that people were fired for not doing their jobs, but now it's "give them a raise". Everybody deserves something for nothing. Times have changed for the worse in that respect.

• HaleBopper and Old Man like this

#54 Chad7531

Chad7531

Vanguard

• Loc: Defiance, OH

Posted 18 August 2022 - 05:30 PM

I quit the post office because all the delivering we were doing for Amazon. I was having to strategically stack my mail truck floor to ceiling, adding about two hours to my route. With no increase in my fixed pay.

#55 Jarno

Jarno

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Netherlands

Posted 20 August 2022 - 05:40 AM

Used  to be that people were fired for not doing their jobs

Used to be that people got decent pay for doing their jobs. If you pay peanuts you'll get monkeys. With telescopes, eyepieces, cameras and mounts everybody knows "you get what you pay for" so why would shipping be any different? Nowadays if store A offers shipping for 100 bucks (be it dollars, euros, pounds, dirhams - whatever) and store B charges 50, people will go to store B. Obviously for that money they're going to put less effort in packaging. Customs is a whole different can of worms altogether. They can operate with immunity and clearly don't care for other peoples property. This is why I prefer not to ship anything and most certainly not internationally.

Jarno

#56 D.T.

D.T.

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Oregon

Posted 26 October 2022 - 07:55 PM

I thought I would add a note as to how this all turned out.

TS compensated me for everything that they could.  The sent me replacement parts for everything that was missing or broken.  They credited me a couple of hundred dollars for the scratches that U.S. Customs put on the carbon fiber tube.  They responded to all of my concerns quickly and fully.  TS is truly a good company.  I cannot speak highly enough of them.

There were some things they could not do.  Essentially, I was left in the position of having to assemble the telescope myself from the parts.  I could have done this myself cheaper, as some of the parts, in the assembly were American.  I could have bought them more cheaply here, and they would not have had to go through customs.  But I wanted my new telescope fully assembled and tested and then delivered to me intact instead of a bunch of parts.  And I lost the use of this new scope during the summer months this year, when the weather is best.

As I said, TS is a terrific company.  But based upon my experience, I would not recommend buying a custom built telescope from them if you live in the US as even if it is the best telescope when it leaves the factory, it will not be after U.S. customs gets their hands on it.  I would advise buying whatever parts you need from TS, and then assembling it yourself after it arrives from across the pond.

Thanks for all of the advice.

Dana

• Castor likes this

#57 dnrmilspec

dnrmilspec

Viking 1

• Loc: Southern Arizona

Posted 30 October 2022 - 08:53 AM

It sure sounds like the company really did nothing exceptional at all.  They shipped the tube in bubble wrap it would appear.  Maybe customs destroyed the box but we do not know that.  Then, unless it was your decision to wait and do all of this work, they expected you to accept a damaged scope and make the repairs yourself.  And even then, delayed getting you the stuff in a timely manner.  This scope should have been replaced at the first sign of trouble.

I can't speak for others but I would be wary of taking on such a risk no matter now "nice" they are on the phone.

• payner likes this

#58 Sam Danigelis

Sam Danigelis

Viking 1

• Loc: Excelsior Springs, MO

Posted 03 November 2022 - 12:54 PM

I bought an 8" Newt from TS a couple years ago. If I remember correctly, they offered a DHL option, which I chose. Arrived no problems.

OTOH, I am currently in the process of tracking down a lost/ and or damaged FEDEX shipment. It's been almost two months and I still haven't received it. Calls to customer service are ridiculous, a total waste of time. This experience has really made me think twice about using FEDEX.

I only share this to warn others, as I believe that shipping company is experiencing some serious issues. Hopefully they can get things fixed and return to providing good service.
  • Castor likes this

#59 jlinsobe

jlinsobe

Viking 1

• Loc: South Florida

Posted 04 November 2022 - 11:53 PM

When I buy reasonably priced merchandise from China that needs to arrive quickly, I choose DHL.

From Central Europe to the US, I choose DHL.

In The US I choose to roll the dice and keep my fingers crossed.  

They all own high speed warehouses and routing centers.  Conveyor belts and glass don’t mix well all the time.   But we , the average folks in this world , have to accept our chances, and buy insurance for those items we cherish.  
Sorry We don’t fly to London for Dinner and Opera on our Gulfstream 650. 

#60 Forward Scatter

Forward Scatter

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Wandering the PNW

Posted 05 November 2022 - 09:13 AM

I thought I would add a note as to how this all turned out.

TS compensated me for everything that they could.  The sent me replacement parts for everything that was missing or broken.  They credited me a couple of hundred dollars for the scratches that U.S. Customs put on the carbon fiber tube.  They responded to all of my concerns quickly and fully.  TS is truly a good company.  I cannot speak highly enough of them.

There were some things they could not do.  Essentially, I was left in the position of having to assemble the telescope myself from the parts.  I could have done this myself cheaper, as some of the parts, in the assembly were American.  I could have bought them more cheaply here, and they would not have had to go through customs.  But I wanted my new telescope fully assembled and tested and then delivered to me intact instead of a bunch of parts.  And I lost the use of this new scope during the summer months this year, when the weather is best.

As I said, TS is a terrific company.  But based upon my experience, I would not recommend buying a custom built telescope from them if you live in the US as even if it is the best telescope when it leaves the factory, it will not be after U.S. customs gets their hands on it.  I would advise buying whatever parts you need from TS, and then assembling it yourself after it arrives from across the pond.

Thanks for all of the advice.

Dana

Dana, 

Maybe we'll see you & the scope in question out at Stub one of the occasional clear 25oF nights we get during the Rainy Season! 

Cheers!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics