•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Takahashi FS102 lens cleaning

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 m11

m11

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 11 August 2022 - 11:25 PM

Hi All,

I was looking for advice and recommendations  regarding cleaning Fluorite lens and in particular removing finger mark, this is for a Takahashi FS102 refractor.

What type of procedures and cleaning products should be used and importantly which cleaning products should be avoided?

Many Thanks, smile.gif

Edited by m11, 11 August 2022 - 11:43 PM.

#2 17thCentury

17thCentury

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 12 August 2022 - 12:44 AM

So you can (should be able) order a cleaning kit from Takahashi of America or Similar in Australia or Japan. 

Enzyme cleaner 

Dedicated application cloths.

And if you need it a blower bulb (Rocket or other).  And you'll need distilled water

Takahashi will send instructions.

Most important is nothing gets wiped. The lens gets dabbed with enzyme cleaner.  Form tent/bulb with cloth, wet it with cleaner, dab. 

Then you follow up by doing the same with distilled water, dabbing no wiping.

Need to be sure the cloths aren't saturated as to where liquid can drip toward or into the edges and be pulled into the cavity between lens and tube.

I've used the Takahashi America Cloths and Enzyme cleaner along with distilled water and used the blower before and after cleaning. And the lens will clean up very nicely.

Remember don't get aggravated by specs of dust to even a finger print on the optical tube objective lens. Do Not use a wiping motion or any motion that drags across the lens. 

• Bomber Bob, m11 and rollomonk like this

#3 m11

m11

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 August 2022 - 01:59 AM

Thank you for the information regarding being to get a cleaning kit from Takahashi America.  

I will look into getting a kit and many thanks also for the procedure.

All good points. bow.gif

Many thanks again,

#4 Lagrange

Lagrange

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: North West England

Posted 12 August 2022 - 08:58 AM

The main thing to avoid when cleaning fluorite is anything remotely caustic.

Fluorite itself has very good resistance to chemical attack and staining which is better than many types of optical glass, and the main risk for an uncoated lens is getting scratched due its softness. The hard coated lenses used in the FS and current FC scopes are as scratch resistant as glass, so you shouldn't worry too much when cleaning them but they obviously need to be handled with the same care as any other precision optic.

#5 m11

m11

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 August 2022 - 09:30 PM

Thanks Lagrange.

That is good to know. Its always a worry about how to look after and clean optical lens.

Many thanks for the information. waytogo.gif

#6 RichA

RichA

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 13 August 2022 - 11:26 AM

Thank you for the information regarding being to get a cleaning kit from Takahashi America.  

I will look into getting a kit and many thanks also for the procedure.

All good points. bow.gif

Many thanks again,

Notice the kind of cleaner they use?  Enzymatic.  Someone once suggested using saliva as a  cleaning agent as it contains the same kind of enzymes as the Takahashi would (to dissove organics) but I don't know if they were serious.

https://landseaskyco...hi-cleaning-kit

#7 Lagrange

Lagrange

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: North West England

Posted 13 August 2022 - 01:01 PM

Notice the kind of cleaner they use?  Enzymatic.  Someone once suggested using saliva as a  cleaning agent as it contains the same kind of enzymes as the Takahashi would (to dissove organics) but I don't know if they were serious.

https://landseaskyco...hi-cleaning-kit

I think it was Roland Christen who suggested it and he was serious about it being a good way of breaking down and removing contaminants in a way that won't damage glass.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics