•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Recommended mount for astrophotography under $400

Astrophotography DSO Meade Mount
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Feri19

Feri19

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 12 August 2022 - 06:18 PM

I currently have a meade etx 125 and a 60mm guidescope. For my main camera I use a standard canon eos 1300d and a for gudining I have a ZWO Asi 120mm mini. Because of the mount that the etx came with I cannot take deep sky images and because of that I want to defork it and put it on a proper eqatorial mount. I am on a really tight budget so my max price is $400 USD, or at max $500. Can I get a mount in that price range that is capable to do deep sky photography, wich mount should I buy? And it should have go to because it will be at a remote site, at my friends house.

#2 FRANKVSTAR

FRANKVSTAR

Vostok 1

• Loc: GASTON S.C

Posted 12 August 2022 - 06:40 PM

If you spend time on the CN site, there is a possibility that you may find a GO-TO mount near your price range. But I feel you may have to stretch your budget a little further say to at least $700 or $800 to find a good used mount, like a Skywatcher HEQ5 or an early model Celestron mount. But then again you have to account for shipping, so you may want to see if there's a local astronomy club where a member may have what your looking for.

Good luck on you quest.

#3 Nemo51

Nemo51

Vostok 1

Posted 12 August 2022 - 06:47 PM

Well, a used ioptron smarteq plus sounds about right if you can stay in its weight limits. I have and love one, but I’m getting a zwo am5, so if interested….

#4 ETtheExtraterrestrial

ETtheExtraterrestrial

Messenger

• -----

Posted 12 August 2022 - 07:20 PM

I will certainly defer to someone who’s come across something I’m unaware of but, unfortunately I don’t think what you’re looking for exists. With your scope 15lbs, guidescope 2lbs, camera 1+lbs, other items 1lbs you’re right around 20lbs total weight. So, for DSO astro photography you really need a mount with a 35ish lbs capacity mount which doesn’t exists at 400 dollars.

Your mount is by far the most important part of an Astro photo rig. I’d save and buy something like an HEQ5 or compatible. Unfortunately the used market is high now but there’s a ton of good mounts on CN classifieds.

#5 Todd N

Todd N

Viking 1

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 13 August 2022 - 12:19 AM

Thats a lot of focal length and cheap mount won't suffice. See if you can find a wedge for the ETX and use that as the guide scope and piggyback camera with lens or telephoto lens. 

#6 Hesiod

Hesiod

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 13 August 2022 - 09:54 AM

Second hand cg5 (very old) or eq5.
  • Jaimo! likes this

#7 Sheridan

Sheridan

Viking 1

• Loc: Houston Tx.

Posted 13 August 2022 - 06:20 PM

Check the classifieds for a IEXOS-100-PCM8. I bought one for 350.00 and it's a great little grab and go mount. Try to find one with the Azimuth Adjuster or purchase one later. This should fit your budget.

#8 Jaimo!

Jaimo!

I'm just stunned! Or maybe pining for the fjords!

• Administrators
  • Loc: 3rd Stone from the Sun

Posted 13 August 2022 - 07:52 PM

Second hand cg5 (very old) or eq5.

The CG5 is old, but it uses the same Go-To handset as all of the newer Celeron GEM mounts, so the software is up to date...  And the mount is very serviceable, there is THIS and THIS websites that give step by step instructions to "Hypertune" the mount.  I used to always keep one in the trunk of my car for easily deployable guerilla imaging.

#9 wykbbb

wykbbb

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 24 August 2022 - 08:44 AM

thread about ETX 125 wedges: https://www.cloudyni...-etx-125-wedge/

thread about using 127 mak + DLSR + alt-az mount for astrophotography:  https://www.cloudyni...y-with-127-mak/

Are you interested in EAA (electronic assisted astronomy)? Since EAA uses shorter exposures than astrophotography, EAA can be done with a telescope on alt-az goto mount and telescope camera. Thread about using long focal length maks  for EAA. https://www.cloudyni...-mk91-mak-cass/

#10 Jaimo!

Jaimo!

I'm just stunned! Or maybe pining for the fjords!

• Administrators
  • Loc: 3rd Stone from the Sun

Posted 24 August 2022 - 04:16 PM

The CG5 is old, but it uses the same Go-To handset as all of the newer Celeron GEM mounts, so the software is up to date...  And the mount is very serviceable, there is THIS and THIS websites that give step by step instructions to "Hypertune" the mount.  I used to always keep one in the trunk of my car for easily deployable guerilla imaging.

I actually used it last weekend...  I've had this mount for so long, at this point it dopes not own me anything.

PXL_20220820_204249796.PORTRAIT-small.jpg

Sun Mosaic 2022-08-20 FINAL.jpg

• zjc26138 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrophotography, DSO, Meade, Mount

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics