•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

can you use just the asiair pro plus for polar alignment then use other software?

Beginner
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 scott312

scott312

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Needville

Posted 13 August 2022 - 08:54 PM

Hey guys I have had problems with Polar Alignment. Only with ASIair pro plus have not had any problems. I know Asiair pro plus has it's own system to to the line up.

Would I be able to line up with Asiair then unplug and goto another star software?

Thank you.

PS I do have the polemaster that I tried and I get 90% through the routine and at the very last when it shows the Square my cursor is nowhere near it and the sq is empty. I had watch 1 or 2 youtube clips and they had shown the cursor next to or in the sq box.  I had used the hand knobs Ra and the other : )  and got nowhere. When I set the EQ6 Pro mount up I set it up close as I can to the North star. The routine leading up the the very last part of Polemas has not been any problem.

I'm very new at all of this.I'm pretty bad : ( Lol it took me 2 weeks just to get Cmos camera focused and the auto-guide scope focused and guiding.For me I have come a long way but I still have a ways to go. I think this is my first forum post.

Scott Kelly in SW Texas

• dnrmilspec likes this

#2 Oyaji

Oyaji

Viking 1

• Loc: Central Illinois, USA

Posted 13 August 2022 - 09:57 PM

Regarding your ASIAir question, I don't have the foggiest notion as to an answer, for I don't have an ASIAir.

However, I might be of some help with your Polemaster issue.  I haven't seen your precise Polemaster problem, but the Polemaster system is renowned for software problems, and particularly, hanging when you are partially through the polar alignment routine. Your Polemaster issue seems to be of this variety. 

There are a number of threads on CN regarding this hanging issue.  One fix, which works on one of my computers, it to run a video file in the background.  Apparently, this somehow keeps the usb port active on your computer so the link between the camera and the software doesn't hang. This may be what is happening to you.  BTW, my video choice is a film noir movie starring Humphrey Bogart and Gloria Grahame which describes my imaging spot--"In a Lonely Place."   

Another fix is to use a computer that does NOT have an Intel Core I7 processor, such as an Itel Core 5 processor.

I have three laptops, and Polemaster only works on one of them, which has a Core I5 processor and doesn't hang if I run the video in the background.  I do my polar alignment with that laptop and then switch to another laptop for the actual imaging.  I find the Polemaster to be worth the trouble, and what the heck, I have the Polemaster laptop as a backup should my main imaging laptop fail for any reason.  

Edited by Oyaji, 13 August 2022 - 09:59 PM.

#3 S.Boerner

S.Boerner

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Chesterfield, MO

Posted 13 August 2022 - 10:09 PM

Yes, but...

An ASIAir has proprietary software and locked up such that no additional software can be added.  To run other software you'd either have to:

(1). swap out the SD card with another version of Linux with AstroBerry or Stellar Mate OR

(2)  connect all your equipment to a different computer (Windows/iOS) and run software native to it (NINA on Windows).

That said, if you spend the money for an ASIAir why don't you use it (unless you have a non-compatible camera)? 

#4 Drothgeb

Drothgeb

Messenger

Posted 14 August 2022 - 06:04 AM

I actually use an ASIair, there would no problem with what you are proposing. I’ve actually used it on one scope to do PA, then moved it over to another scope afterwards. Now, I have 2 ASIairs so I don’t have to do that.

Also, let me point out that an ASIair functions as just a usb hub. And, it works well with other software. So you can actually run other software through it. I regularly control my mount with other software on my iPad while using the ASIair as just a Wi-Fi hub. Sometimes, I even use 2 iPads. One is running the ASIair app, the other is running SynScan, or SkySafari, or something else. Works fine.

I haven’t done a lot of testing, but as far as I can determine. You can connect a laptop to an ASIair with a usb cable. Then for instance, use the ASIair for PA and GOTO, but then use NINA and PHD2 for guiding and capture. Or use SharpCap for PA, then use the ASIair for guiding and capture, then use Sky Safari for GOTO. Just doesn’t seem to matter.

Edited by Drothgeb, 14 August 2022 - 06:15 AM.

#5 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Voyager 1

• Loc: Moreno Valley, CA

Posted 14 August 2022 - 08:09 AM

Of course you can.

Polar alignment is about aligning the mount. How you do it is up to you. Once aligned the mount stays aligned. (Not counting slippage, bumps, etc ).

So do what you like to polar align with whatever tools you like. If an AsIAir works for you, go for it.

However, it sounds like you are searching for new equipment to solve problems that you should be solving with better use of current equipment. That can be an expensive and very frustrating proposition, particularly if your difficulties are not related to the piece of equipment you are trying to upgrade.

Alex

Edited by Alex McConahay, 14 August 2022 - 08:09 AM.

#6 scott312

scott312

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 August 2022 - 06:54 PM

"However, I might be of some help with your Polemaster issue. "

Thank you for the heads up on that. I had been racking my brain pondering the problem

#7 scott312

scott312

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 August 2022 - 07:05 PM

That said, if you spend the money for an ASIAir why don't you use it (unless you have a non-compatible camera)? 

Thank you for the reply. I just bought everything the past 6 months to re-enter the Star hobby. I had used theSky software back in 1998. So about 2 years ago I bought theskyx software again.  Silly me just figured out that I can do a polar alignment with the software. I was having a problem with T-point inside the home. I wonder why? lol no starts inside my home. . I had made the post late last night with not having all mt ducks in a roll.

#8 scott312

scott312

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 August 2022 - 07:17 PM

Of course you can.

However, it sounds like you are searching for new equipment to solve problems that you should be solving with better use of current equipment. That can be an expensive and very frustrating proposition, particularly if your difficulties are not related to the piece of equipment you are trying to upgrade.

Alex

Thanks Alex I really like the Asiair pro plus. It's just not what I want to use for for my future command station. I do need to but dew bands maybe a filter and a few other little things. Only only big buy that I want. PrimaLuceLab EAGLE.

I did spoil myself last week. And yes they are over priced : ) I picked up the Flatmaster 150. By the way I have not done stacked imaging yet. I rig up once a week.

#9 scott312

scott312

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 August 2022 - 07:37 PM

I actually use an ASIair, there would no problem with what you are proposing. I’ve actually used it on one scope to do PA, then moved it over to another scope afterwards. Now, I have 2 ASIairs so I don’t have to do that.

Thanks friend. And thank you for the reply. I have 2 Asiair pros also. I didn't plan on it, it just happened. I had had one back ordered for a long time. Than OPT Telescopes had a batch for sale. I pull it out of the mail box 3 days later.

Form 25 years ago I bought a 12 inch mead LX200 that's been in storage forever. I'm going to try and strip the tube off and rig it up for 2022 : )  I had hated that Telescope. I picked it up in a rush. They had it marked down. I think I paid 4500 hundred. I can still hear my wife saying " You Did What?"  One of the ex Governors of Texas had ordered it than canceled his order. Then a sucker walked through the door. I lived in Houston and I never enjoyed the Telescope  big city lights  and all. And back in the 90s it was a whole different world. Now is a great time !

Edited by scott312, 14 August 2022 - 08:12 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Beginner

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics