•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Relationship between seeing quality and PEC quality ?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ChrisMoses

ChrisMoses

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Fort Wayne, IN, USA

Posted 14 August 2022 - 02:06 AM

Hi,

It makes sense that fairly good seeing is required to get a good PEC run, but, a few questions:

• How good of seeing is good enough?
  • Is there a relationship between seeing quality and PEC quality?

I generally measure seeing first on the 1-5 scale of ClearDarkSkies and just started trying to use Sharpcap to get a more instantaneous measurement.

Does anybody have any quantitative or qualitative insights?

Thanks,

Chris

#2 Drothgeb

Drothgeb

Messenger

Posted 14 August 2022 - 07:03 AM

How good is good enough, depends on your pixel scale. Guiding at your pixel scale will give you decent results, but I usually try for half my pixel scale and take what I can get.

When I have my ASI294 on the 390mm Hyperstar, pixel scale is around 2.5”/pixel. Guiding is easy with average 2-3”  seeing, I’ll usually see 0.6 - 0.8” rms. When I have the ASI2600 on the 1500mm setup, pixel scale is more like 0.5”/pixel. Then, I’m hoping for 1.5” seeing or better. Then I’ll usually see 0.3 - 0.5” rms.

#3 StephenW

StephenW

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: San Jose, CA

Posted 14 August 2022 - 09:42 AM

The benefit of a tool like PemPro is that it averages the recorded PE over multiple worm cycles.  I generally let it run for at least 10 cycles.  As a result, it is able to extract the PE error from the seeing noise. 

That said, I probably wouldn't bother do a PEC run unless the seeing was 3 or higher.   

#4 Jared

Jared

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Piedmont, California, U.S.

Posted 14 August 2022 - 10:17 PM

Hi,

It makes sense that fairly good seeing is required to get a good PEC run, but, a few questions:

• How good of seeing is good enough?
  • Is there a relationship between seeing quality and PEC quality?

I generally measure seeing first on the 1-5 scale of ClearDarkSkies and just started trying to use Sharpcap to get a more instantaneous measurement.

Does anybody have any quantitative or qualitative insights?

Thanks,

Chris

As Stephen mentioned, multiple worm cycles will ensure you get a good result even with mediocre seeing. With five or more full worm cycles you should be OK even with average seeing--perhaps my standards were not quite as high as Stephen's. That should be enough to minimize the work for your guider.

• ChrisMoses likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics