•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Binoviewers for 80mm Ha scope - which?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 havasman

havasman

Hubble

• topic starter
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 14 August 2022 - 03:10 AM

Lunt sells the Tecnosky binoviewers, not very expensive. Their performance is unknown to me. What are the favored binoviewers for a Lunt 80 MT? If these Tecnosky's are good buys it would ease the pain some but if they're just going to disappoint then they'd just multiply it. What say you, please?

And then ep's. I have 1.25" ES68's and like them. Would a pair of the little 16mm's be worth trying out? Should I pick up Plossl pairs instead and if so which FL's are likely useful?

Thanks for your opinions.

Edited by havasman, 14 August 2022 - 03:14 AM.

#2 Porkkala

Porkkala

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Finland

Posted 14 August 2022 - 03:52 AM

I use a Denkmeier Binotron with my Lunt 80 MT. One advantage is that you get 3 different magnifications with the same pair of EP's.
  • torsinadoc and havasman like this

#3 PETER DREW

PETER DREW

Surveyor 1

Posted 14 August 2022 - 05:42 AM

I use a Denkmeier on my 6" Ha telescope but any binoviewer is better than monovision for solar IMO.  No need for expensive eyepieces, good quality simple designs are fine.

#4 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Voyager 1

• Loc: Florida

Posted 14 August 2022 - 07:03 AM

Hi,

I use the cheapest lowest end Arcturus binoviewers.

https://camera-conce...0mm-plossl.html

The view is great, as it is for lunar and planets too.

Yes, simple plossls are ideal. The wider FOV of the more exotic eyepieces will not merge well. Also, there's nothing beyond the limb of the disc, so there's no need for enhanced FOV anyways. Simple plossls have high contrast which is what is important when viewing solar. Try what you already have first. If you're happy with it, then just keep going. If you're not however, then pick up a few small plossls--they're cheap.

I put more into having access to aperture and double stacking than worrying about binos quality and exotic eyepieces. The most critical things in solar are seeing first, contrast (from double stacking) and aperture (adds contrast from resolution).

BinoViewing_HA_C8Edge.jpg

SM60DS_ED80_Binos_05302020.jpg

Very best,

Edited by MalVeauX, 14 August 2022 - 11:43 AM.

• lbs-kgs, havasman and Siderius like this

#5 Porkkala

Porkkala

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Finland

Posted 14 August 2022 - 07:26 AM

Also, there's nothing beyond the limb of the disc, so there's no need for enhanced FOV anyways.

There is one good reason for using wider fields of view: at a specific magnification with plössls, you only get a part of the disk. Same magnification, but larger field of view, you can fit the whole disk. And if you zoom in, you'll get a larger portion of of the disk. I use Baader Morpheus (76 degrees), I prefer them to plössls.

#6 bigdob24

bigdob24

Vanguard

• Loc: Central Illinois

Posted 14 August 2022 - 07:45 AM

Denk II with the power switch is what I use. One downfall is I had to have a $300 OCS to reach focus, but worth it . Fantastic view and with Baader 8/24 easy to find the best magnification.

• havasman and Siderius like this

#7 MVoltae

MVoltae

Mariner 2

• Loc: Verona, Wisconsin, USA

Posted 14 August 2022 - 09:31 AM

Pretty satisfied  with my Williams Optics binoviewer which I use with my SW ED100 in concert with my Lunt wedge for WL and Daystar Quark Chromosphere for Ha.  I use TV plossl eyepieces (25, 32, 40mm).  

• lbs-kgs likes this

#8 BGazing

BGazing

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Posted 14 August 2022 - 11:08 AM

I use Maxbright II. I think that comparing EPs and FLs over different configurations is not that useful, so I will stick to the exit pupil (leaving aside that it gets split in 2 etc).

In Lunt 80 I have used Maxbright II with 2.6 GPC (it is a must for reaching focus) and BF1800 (otherwise you will vignette). Actually, even with BF1800 pushing up will vignette some other circle (a bit, really, but I expect that other BVs do that, too).

2.6x GPC translates, according to various measurements, to 2.5 to 2.6x in various refractors, so you are getting 1400-1450 focal length, so f/18.

I have found that 25mm Vixen NPL plossls work great (around 57x), would be 1.4mm exit pupil. I see the whole disk and then some around it. 32mm plossls work too but the eye relief becomes a bit of a problem, too much of it.

I used 18mm Fujiyama orthos (80x, 1mm exit pupil) also, the view is dimmer but still very good if the seeing supports. I use them whenever the seeing supports.

I've tried 12.5mm Fujiyamas, but the mag is for great seeing only (115x, 0.7mm exit pupil) and the view is dim, perhaps for zooming in on some prominence details, but I find that I see all that really at 80x and that seeing is very very rarely going to support 115x. 

In sum, 1-1.5 exit pupil is where it is at for me.

As for slight vignetting, Lunt BF has strange overlay. For MB users low profile Baader eyepiece clamp can be used, I measured that it saves exactly 3mm of focus, which is the amount needed not to vignette upfront (BF is not a problem, I repeat). In any event, vignetting is not noticeable at the eyepiece.

• havasman likes this

#9 cimar

cimar

Ranger 4

• Loc: California & Germany

Posted 14 August 2022 - 01:45 PM

I have a LS80T and use a Baader MaxBright Binoviewer with 1.7x glas path corrector, connected with a 7.5mm T2 ring directly with the blocking filter thread. A pair of 15mm SWA eyepieces seems to be the perfect match

#10 BGazing

BGazing

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Posted 14 August 2022 - 02:00 PM

I have a LS80T and use a Baader MaxBright Binoviewer with 1.7x glas path corrector, connected with a 7.5mm T2 ring directly with the blocking filter thread. A pair of 15mm SWA eyepieces seems to be the perfect match

How do you use 7.5mm T ring to connect it to the BF?

Btw, 1.7 GPC has a 1.5 magnification factor, so 15mm would be around 1.4mm exit pupil, similar to my 25mm plossls.

Edited by BGazing, 14 August 2022 - 02:01 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics