•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

[Image] M13 and some small background galaxies

Astrophotography
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jsey

Jsey

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Lund, Sweden

Posted 14 August 2022 - 07:24 AM

Did a quick RGB run on M13 while waiting for it to get dark. My second cluster and therefore not very familiar with the processing techniques, tips appreciated.

17min each for R,G and B with the 294MM through Optolong 1.25" filters

M13 and friends 50min

Scope is a bit out of collimation so stars are far from perfect.

• ifly, petert913, bobharmony and 6 others like this

#2 SteveL42

SteveL42

Vostok 1

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 14 August 2022 - 09:43 PM

I have been shooting M13 while conducting troubleshooting on some field curvature issues.  While inspecting the photos, NGC 6207 is sitting there, a little smudge, almost photobombing M13.  The realization that it's an entirely separate galaxy some 30 million light years away (!) while M13 is only (!) 22,000 or so light years away boggles the mind.  

And that I can capture that in my front yard using an 80mm scope further boggles....

Amazing!

• Tkall and Jsey like this

#3 Jsey

Jsey

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Lund, Sweden

Posted 15 August 2022 - 02:34 AM

I have been shooting M13 while conducting troubleshooting on some field curvature issues.  While inspecting the photos, NGC 6207 is sitting there, a little smudge, almost photobombing M13.  The realization that it's an entirely separate galaxy some 30 million light years away (!) while M13 is only (!) 22,000 or so light years away boggles the mind.  

And that I can capture that in my front yard using an 80mm scope further boggles....

Amazing!

The camera really doesn't do the depth of this image justice. We see it as a 2D plane but the distances between the objects in this composition are insane, as you put it: mind boggling!

Hope you solve your flat field issues!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrophotography

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics