•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

10 inch Hardin Optical Dob

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Grousehunter49

Grousehunter49

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 August 2022 - 11:36 AM

I have a 8" Orion Dob but this came up for sale here near me,,would there be much differance in seeing things between the two..should I or should,nt I/ for visual use only

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#2 kfiscus

kfiscus

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA

Posted 14 August 2022 - 12:53 PM

Meh.

#3 Grousehunter49

Grousehunter49

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 August 2022 - 04:32 PM

Sold now so I can put that out of my mind.

• Jon Isaacs and Ryley like this

#4 Chad7531

Chad7531

Apollo

• Loc: Defiance, OH

Posted 14 August 2022 - 07:17 PM

You’ll be able to resolve a little bit more and see things that are slightly fainter. It’ll be a little heavier and take a little longer to come to ambient temperature. I think the upgrade would be about .5 magnitude gain. It’s usually recommended to go for a full magnitude gain for a “wow factor” upgrade. Normally the upgrade from an 8” would be to a 12”. But if the price of the upgrade is worth it to you and your expectations are in check then go for it.

#5 kfiscus

kfiscus

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA

Posted 14 August 2022 - 07:29 PM

Go 12".

#6 ausastronomer

ausastronomer

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Shoalhaven Heads NSW (Australia)

Posted 14 August 2022 - 11:08 PM

At different times I have had an 8" and 10" Newtonian at the same time.  Currently my smallest scope is a 10" Newtonian, of which I have 2.

The difference between an 8" and a 10" is noticeable and worthwhile, particularly in resolving some of the bigger and brighter globular clusters.  As others have said 8" to 12" is a better upgrade, but a 12" tubed newtonian isn't something I want to deal with, whereas I am happy to deal with a 10" tubed newtonian.

If you can pick up a 2nd hand 10" it gives you a bit more without a huge increase in logistics, or cost.  A 12" tubed newtonian gives you a lot more with the added pain of a 12" tubed newtonian.

My advice would be to grab a 2nd hand 10" if you can and then save your pennies and look for a 12" to 14" truss scope on the used market.

Cheers

• Jon Isaacs and KWB like this

#7 bbasiaga

bbasiaga

Apollo

Posted 15 August 2022 - 10:52 AM

A rule of thumb is to double your light gathering for a 'noticeable' improvement.  Light gathering increases with the square of diameter.  So your 8" = 8x8=64.  A 10" is 10x10=100.  Not quite double, about 1.5x.  a 12" would be 12x12 = 144 - a notable increase as its slightly more than double.   

So a 10" would be an OK upgrade, if you're ever faced with such a decision in the future.  But a 12" is what you should really keep your eye out for. 

-Brian

#8 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 15 August 2022 - 01:08 PM

My two cents:

Ergonomics and ease of use are more important than abstract concepts like magnitude gain.

I'm with John, my experiences are similar. 

I bought my 10 inch F/5 GSO Dob in 2003, it was a year old. At the time, I had an XT-8 and my 12.5 inch Discovery Tube Dob. It wasn't long before I donated the XT-8 to a fledgling astronomy club and in the ensuing 19 years, various 8 inch F/6s have come and gone but the 10 inch is still here and gets a lot of use. 

The reason is simple, I could never figure out a reason to choose the 8 nch when the 10 inch was right there and ready. Optically, it was noticeably more capable. It was heavier but not too heavy to move with only a modest effort and the OTAs were within an inch or so in length.  That meant, it the 8 inch fit in the car, the 10 inch fit and comfort-wise, they're identical.

A 12 inch tube is about a foot longer, considerably heavier, it's a step up optically and physically. My 12.5 inch is now a truss Dob.

I consider a 10 inch F/5 to be a sweet spot, more capable than an 8 inch with little added hassle.. while some may think a 10 inch and a 12 inch doesn't makes sense, for me, it makes more sense than an 8 inch and a 12 inch. 

Jon

• KWB likes this

#9 truckerfromaustin

truckerfromaustin

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Wherever I park my truck for the night.

Posted 15 August 2022 - 04:19 PM

A 10 inch is going to be a little better, but I'm going to recommend a 12inch. Its light gathering ability is worth the size and weight, if you can handle it. Don't forget about to eyepiece height when viewing. The 12 inch is probably going to be at a higher level, so you don't have to hunch over to use the scope.
Just my 2 cents.

Clear skies,
Greg

#10 Chad7531

Chad7531

Apollo

• Loc: Defiance, OH

Posted 15 August 2022 - 04:30 PM

10” vs 12” solid tubes are all going to depend where you keep it. Any type of carrying through stairs or doorways will require the 10”. A garage? Go for the 12”. Make sure they fit in your car.

#11 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 16 August 2022 - 03:02 AM

A 10 inch is going to be a little better, but I'm going to recommend a 12inch. Its light gathering ability is worth the size and weight, if you can handle it. Don't forget about to eyepiece height when viewing. The 12 inch is probably going to be at a higher level, so you don't have to hunch over to use the scope.
Just my 2 cents.

Clear skies,
Greg

With a proper chair, neither will require hunching over.. 

This thread is about an 8 inch versus a 10 inch.  In my experience, if you own an 10 inch, there is no reason to own an 8 inch.  The 12 inch or 16 inch, that's not this thread.

Jon

• N-1 likes this

#12 KWB

KWB

James Webb Space Telescope

• Loc: Westminster,Co Elev.5400 feet

Posted 16 August 2022 - 07:33 AM

I have a 8" Orion Dob but this came up for sale here near me,,would there be much differance in seeing things between the two..should I or should,nt I/ for visual use only

Here's how I see it after owning numerous versions the 2 sized solid tube dobsonians that are the topic of thread is and what I have learned about them over the years.

If I owned the XT8 and could upgrade to a 10 inch F/5 with a dual speed focuser and fan for a reasonable amount of money, my XT8 would be retired, sold or donated ASAP. These are the same length telescopes and the weight differences are not significant to me, nor one of a game changing difference. The difference at the eyepiece is noticeable and worthwhile as to upgrading as John stated above.

I usually refrain from the bigger is always better analysis that some people cannot resist as to chiming in with opinions about going big. This thread isn't about a 12 inch telescope but since it's been mentioned, here's my take. This next aperture size up in a solid tubed design is a game changer. I've owned one example and the weight difference was significant to me when I was younger. The added 12 inch length of the optical tube was the deal killer as this size scope wouldn't fit across the seat of two four door cars I owned at that time. Also I had to store my scope inside my house and lost motivation to take it outdoors real fast as the added length made manuevering it out the door of my house a lot more of a challenge.

Jon is 100% dead on the money IMO by saying the practical use of a telescope outweighs any theorhetical gain, as in going from a 10 inch to 12 inch aperture size. I couldn't agree more.

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#13 N-1

N-1

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: New Zealand

Posted 21 August 2022 - 06:54 PM

With a proper chair, neither will require hunching over.. 

This thread is about an 8 inch versus a 10 inch.  In my experience, if you own an 10 inch, there is no reason to own an 8 inch.  The 12 inch or 16 inch, that's not this thread.

Jon

I absolutely agree with this but depending on circumstances, the opposite can also be true. That's definitely the case for me.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics