•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

SkySync vs. SkyPortal

Celestron
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kermode

kermode

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 August 2022 - 04:20 PM

Hi there,

I have a Celestron 8SE telescope and I'm trying to decide on how to set up a few things.  I have the 'StarSense' accessory already and love it for the simplicity of setup.  I also currently have the SkySync GPS accessory however it requires an AUX port which is currently occupied by the StarSense device.  To run these both at the same time I have done what the manual for the SkySync GPS suggested and plugged SkySync into the port where the hand controller goes and then plugged the hand controller into the SkySync GPS.  I wasn't a fan of this setup however as I find it extremely difficult to plug anything into the handheld port that is recessed into the mount.  Could be just me but it seems like that was designed to be rage inducing and it takes me a long time to get it in there.  Further when these two devices are 'daisy chained' togtether the handheld won't seat firmly in the mount because the cord is in the way. So...

I purchased an 'aux splitter' for the mount which I believe will give me two aux ports which would allow me to run both the StarSense and SkySync at the same time without some of the issues I speak about above.   I've recently come across the SkyPortal wifi module however (this wasn't available when I purchased my telescope) and it looks intriguing in that it allows connectivity with the SkyPortal app which while I haven't used it looks like a step up from the hand controller in terms of usability.

So with that long winded pre-amble my question is this.   My understanding is that the SkySync GPS (which I already own) is really there to eliminate the need for entering in date/time and location to accelerate the setup of the scope a bit.   I'm guessing (I don't know this) that the scope can get this information automatically from my mobile phone if it was connected to the scope via the SkyPortal wifi module.  I believe this would make the need for the SkySync GPS redundant.

So the setup to achieve what I'm looking for would be aux splitter + StarSense (already have it) in one port, and SkyPortal wifi in the other port, and that would get me everything I need (including GPS functionality provided by SkySync).   Am I understanding that correctly or am I missing something?  Also any tips on how to insert the cord into the hand controller port on the mount without wanting to hurl the telescope at Polaris would be appreciated. :)

Thank you

#2 mlord

mlord

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Ottawa, Canada

Posted 14 August 2022 - 07:25 PM

If you are using a phone or tablet with the mount (usually over WiFi), then a GPS accessory is not needed for anything, and is NOT USED for anything even if you do have one.

Cheers

• kermode likes this

#3 Paul Skee

Paul Skee

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Orange County, CA (near Disneyland)

Posted 14 August 2022 - 09:41 PM

I have used Sky Safari on an IPad connected via WiFi. StarSense alignment works well with this setup. If the WiFi connection is solid, the hand controller isn't needed.

• kermode likes this

#4 kermode

kermode

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 August 2022 - 11:38 PM

Thank you kindly for the responses!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Celestron

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics