•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

PHD2 + Mac + AVX = no guiding

Astrophotography Mount Celestron Beginner
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 CarapauCorrida

CarapauCorrida

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 August 2022 - 06:04 AM

Hello all,

I'm returning to the hobby after a few years, due to a malfunction on my AVX and the repair being too much money at the time. But now with everything settled in, and on my parents in laws house I have access to almost unlimited clear skies lol.gif

After setting up, balancing and aligning the telescope/mount/dslr/guide cam I started PHD2 and this is where the trouble began. I'll list below my equipment and pictures of my settings in hope anyone can help me bawling.gif

Mount: Celestron AVX

Tube: Newtonian 8" F/4

Cam: Nikon D3100 (plan on upgrading in the future for sure)

Guide Cam Combo: Orion StarShoot AutoGuide + 50mm guide scope

I'm running the software on a macOS Big Sur 11.6.8.

PHD2: Version 2.6.11

INDIGO Server (CloudMakers): Version 4.5

INDIGO Drivers: - Nextstar Mount

- SSAG/QHY5 Camera

I'll now share pictures showing what I have turned on:

Screenshot 2022-08-15 at 11.14.04.png

If its necessary I can show the contents of each driver.

On PHD2 I try this settings for the equipment:

Screenshot 2022-08-15 at 11.17.56.png

But after I click on Connect All

When I go again to check my equipment it show without the Aux Mount

Screenshot 2022-08-15 at 11.18.15.png

Either way the mount never moves, but I hear it moving very silently, and the star on the PHD2 starts drifiting and If I take a picture of around 10s I get trail. So no guiding is being applied.

What am I doing wrong? Can someone help me please bow.gif

PS: I forgot to mention that I have an ST4 cable connected from the guide cam to the mount and if I select the guide cam and on the mount I choose On Camera it doesn't move either.

#2 jpengstrom

jpengstrom

Apollo

• Loc: North Texas

Posted 15 August 2022 - 10:38 AM

If you close the Connect Equipment dialog and click on the "Start Looping" button (circular arrows) at the bottom of the PHD2 window do you get images in the PHD2 image window?  If so you should be able to click on the "Auto-select star" button (it's a star) at the bottom of the PHD2 window and then click on the "Start Guiding" button (the green PHD2 logo).

#3 CarapauCorrida

CarapauCorrida

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 August 2022 - 10:41 AM

If you close the Connect Equipment dialog and click on the "Start Looping" button (circular arrows) at the bottom of the PHD2 window do you get images in the PHD2 image window?  If so you should be able to click on the "Auto-select star" button (it's a star) at the bottom of the PHD2 window and then click on the "Start Guiding" button (the green PHD2 logo).

If I do that I get images looping from the guidescope, and I can select a star with good SNR. But when I click on the "Start Guiding", appears on screen a yellow crossed line and the graph doesn't' show anything and the star that I select starts to drift from the yellow crossed lines

#4 jpengstrom

jpengstrom

Apollo

• Loc: North Texas

Posted 15 August 2022 - 12:19 PM

If I do that I get images looping from the guidescope, and I can select a star with good SNR. But when I click on the "Start Guiding", appears on screen a yellow crossed line and the graph doesn't' show anything and the star that I select starts to drift from the yellow crossed lines

That certainly sounds like there's some problem communicating with the mount.  I'm sorry I don't have any information to help.  That's one of the reasons I bought a mini PC running Windows to control my astro imaging.  And I've been using exclusively Macs in my home for the past 15 years.

#5 Juzwuz

Juzwuz

Vostok 1

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 15 August 2022 - 03:16 PM

https://openphdguidi...e button. More

It sounds like it's doing a calibration. Look at the attached link under Automatic Calibration.

#6 CarapauCorrida

CarapauCorrida

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 August 2022 - 09:41 AM

https://openphdguidi...e button. More

It sounds like it's doing a calibration. Look at the attached link under Automatic Calibration.

You were right I checked the manual and there is was...

Well now I know :)

Thanks a lot

• Juzwuz likes this

#7 Spaceman 56

Spaceman 56

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: New Zealand

Posted 22 August 2022 - 12:41 AM

You were right I checked the manual and there is was...

Well now I know smile.gif

Thanks a lot

is it working now?

#8 CarapauCorrida

CarapauCorrida

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 August 2022 - 02:28 AM

is it working now?

Yes, as soon I let it calibrated it started working and guiding.

• Spaceman 56 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrophotography, Mount, Celestron, Beginner

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics