•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

I just saw announced 3nm dualband Optolong L-Ultimate

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 gsaramet

gsaramet

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 August 2022 - 06:07 AM

There's their announcement:

https://www.optolong...ail/id/192.html

Opotlong L-Ultimate Introduction

It's about a 3nm dual band designed to drastically reduce the effect of light pollution, the 3nm isolates the nebulae's emissions into H-Alpha (red) and OIII (green-blue). It blocks light pollution, maximizes the signal from nebulae, and darkens the sky background. It also blocks artificial light from mercury vapor lamps, high and low pressure sodium vapor lights, and unwanted natural light caused by the emission of neutral oxygen in our atmosphere. Maximizes the transmission of the main emission lines of the nebula in OIII (496nm and 500nm) and H-alpha (656nm). Used with DSLR, color/MONO CMOS and CCD, however, this filter is not suitable for fast ratio systems.

The advantage of L-Ultimate is that it only passes through the emission lines OIII(500.7nm) and Ha(656.3nm), in which case all other light pollution emission lines are eliminated so that only the emission and reflection signals of the nebula are captured during imaging. Therefore, the sky background of the image is darker, and the contrast between the nebulae and the signal-to-noise ratio are improved to the greatest extent. In heavy light pollution areas, the product can also selectively filter light pollution and clutter signals through the emission lines of nebulae, and finally avoid the impact of light pollution on astrophotography.

It is different from the series of dual-narrowband L-eNhance and L-eXtreme in that L-Ultimate is a dual-3nm bandwidth filter that only passes through Ha and OIII emission lines. You will get a darker sky background, more contrast of the image and the suppression on stars. L-Ultimate has also been optimized in terms of halo performance, so that there is no obvious halo when shooting on a bright star object.

Bold is mine.

I am curious how fast is fast :) And waiting for reviews, ofc. Should be quite interesting - I was researching ALP-T, now I'll wait a bit more. 

• AngryBear and danny1976 like this

#2 drd715

drd715

Apollo

• Loc: Fort Lauderdale

Posted 15 August 2022 - 06:36 AM

There's their announcement:

https://www.optolong...ail/id/192.html

Bold is mine.

I am curious how fast is fast smile.gif And waiting for reviews, ofc. Should be quite interesting - I was researching ALP-T, now I'll wait a bit more. 

According to some of the posted images the fastest ones posted were F-4

#3 gsaramet

gsaramet

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 August 2022 - 06:51 AM

Agree, but that is a 88mm image circle scope.  I'd like to see results on scopes similar to mine - i.e. f4 newt with a 2 inch focuser. For the others f4-like, lights were taken in the last two years, so I am not sure how relevant they are for a production filter. 

What it's not mentioned either is the light pollution ratings of the skies.

I do hope it will come up good, sounds much cheaper than going monochrome :D

#4 danny1976

danny1976

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Belgium

Posted 15 August 2022 - 09:38 AM

It was about time it would get released. Pricing seems to be around 350$.

Very interested in a comparison L-Extreme, Antlia ALP-T, L-Ultimate. Looks like they took care of the halos.

#5 dac4215

dac4215

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 15 August 2022 - 12:18 PM

Received an email from Agena. They are taking pre-orders. Their price $389.00, on sale for $349.00.

#6 gsaramet

gsaramet

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 August 2022 - 12:21 PM

Now I am double curious: would you guys pre-order before seeing independent reviews?

#7 dac4215

dac4215

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 15 August 2022 - 01:15 PM

I am in no hurry to spend $350 until I can see what it will do. I have thought about getting an L-extreme, but now I will wait to see what the new filter can do for us.

#8 Ptarmigan

Ptarmigan

Lagopus lagopus

• Loc: Arctic

Posted 15 August 2022 - 10:45 PM

I like to see reviews. I do have L-eXtreme filter and very pleased with it.

Edited by Ptarmigan, 15 August 2022 - 10:46 PM.

#9 ajuin

ajuin

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 17 August 2022 - 03:28 AM

I am pleased (enough) with my L-Extreme  to not to upgrade to 3nm

After all you still have to deal with a color camera (that has the bayer matrix of 1 red, 2 green, 1 blue) 

I just spent my money on a mono camera that has all 4 pixels to one color !

Mono suits my bortle 6 and the very little clear skies time in Belgium great !

#10 acrh2

acrh2

Apollo

• -----

Posted 17 August 2022 - 03:56 AM

Looks like the halos are still there, but not as pronounced.

• psandelle likes this

#11 UKalwayscloudy

UKalwayscloudy

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 21 August 2022 - 12:16 AM

The Altair dual Ha Oiii 4nm is out as well and early images look great. Lots of competition now!
  • psandelle likes this

#12 UKalwayscloudy

UKalwayscloudy

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 21 August 2022 - 12:21 AM

Here’s the link (includes UK taxes in the price)

https://www.altairas...ort-11468-p.asp

#13 danny1976

danny1976

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 21 August 2022 - 06:43 AM

Looks like the halos are still there, but not as pronounced.

What makes you say that?

#14 acrh2

acrh2

Apollo

• -----

Posted 21 August 2022 - 01:36 PM

What makes you say that?

You can see halos in the pictures that were posted in the link. 

#15 RogerM

RogerM

Viking 1

• Loc: California

Posted 21 August 2022 - 04:30 PM

You can see halos in the pictures that were posted in the link. 

Yup, Cygni is definitely sporting a halo but it is toned down but makes me wonder though how much post processing was applied?  I would like to see a raw sub...

• psandelle likes this

#16 danny1976

danny1976

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 16 September 2022 - 06:00 PM

Another comparison L-eXtreme vs L-Ultimate.

L-Ultimate has a darker background and the OIII signal is stronger.

#17 gsaramet

gsaramet

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 September 2022 - 03:10 AM

Another comparison L-eXtreme vs L-Ultimate.

L-Ultimate has a darker background and the OIII signal is stronger.

Looks interesting, and less halo. What I don't understand is how they got separate Ha and OIII images with the Ultimate - which is supposed to be a dualband filter?

Maybe they are using the NBs to "simulate" the Ultimate?

#18 gabebalazs

gabebalazs

Viking 1

• Loc: Perrysburg, OH

Posted 19 September 2022 - 08:32 AM

Looks interesting, and less halo. What I don't understand is how they got separate Ha and OIII images with the Ultimate - which is supposed to be a dualband filter?

Maybe they are using the NBs to "simulate" the Ultimate?

I think they are showing the different channels, like red for Ha, and green and/or blue for the OIII. 

#19 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Cosmos

• Loc: Ajman - UAE

Posted 24 September 2022 - 03:28 AM

I was really really like a hair away from buying L-Ultimate this month, but once i saw that let's say a shy halo then i changed my mind, i mean i can still buy it if there is no other option, but there is actually, so i won't hurry up like many to get this, i passed years ago to buy any dual or multi bands filters just waiting the time of something that is better overall for my sky, 3nm is great enough but i have to choose an improved one, Optolong did produce it first earlier this year but it had significant halo somewhere, so they made it again but still slight halo is still there, i can't throw that much and still i look for enhancements.

#20 gsaramet

gsaramet

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 September 2022 - 10:40 AM

Still waiting for more reviews and opinions; my choice will probably be between L-ultimate and Antlia ALP-T. It is quite a slice off the wallet, so I'd rather not hurry.

#21 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Cosmos

Posted 24 September 2022 - 03:13 PM

And i will keep looking at Askar duo band filter even more expensive, i hope to see a better honest reviews and tests from some so i can decide, otherwise i have to sacrifice and get one of the two left as you mentioned.

#22 gsaramet

gsaramet

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 September 2022 - 01:08 AM

Is it already an opinion on the Askar? Last time I checked people were still standing on the fence. Also, they are not quite available in Europe - I only found one shop in Poland who has them. 20% more expensive than Antlia here, I see.

#23 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Cosmos

Posted 25 September 2022 - 05:49 AM

Is it already an opinion on the Askar? Last time I checked people were still standing on the fence. Also, they are not quite available in Europe - I only found one shop in Poland who has them. 20% more expensive than Antlia here, I see.

I can find them not extra cost and free shipping also, so it is available for me not a problem, but didn't see much reviews, not many bought it i believe.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics