•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Astro Physics Mach 1 vs The world

Mount
  • Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 TOASTRONAUT

TOASTRONAUT

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 August 2022 - 06:20 PM

respected Astro wizards, 

Here’s my story. Sometime in 2018, I decided to go big and bought the AP Mach 1. For reasons related to poor health, I’ve never really managed to take out the mount. Since then, I’ve realized that the mount may be a beaut but it is not portable nor does it fit any “low cost” tripod. I have to supplement this with adapters from AP, also at great cost. Now, AP’s products are fantastic works of engineering and they do not skimp on quality. 

Question : is my Mach 1 worth keeping or should I sell this and get the CGEM II EQ mount and tripod? I used to be an astrophotographer but sadly, not any more. 
Thanks vey much. 

Lathif 

#2 mehdymo

mehdymo

Viking 1

• Loc: Columbus, Ohio

Posted 15 August 2022 - 06:26 PM

Mach 1 (28 lb) should be lighter than CGEM II EQ (40 lb). Also, with an ADATRI in can be used on simple tripods (I have done it in the past).

#3 rkaufmann87

rkaufmann87

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Folsom, CA

Posted 15 August 2022 - 07:01 PM

Keep it!

• Jethro7 likes this

#4 scadvice

scadvice

Mercury-Atlas

• Vendors
  • Loc: Lodi, California

Posted 15 August 2022 - 07:01 PM

I think that has alot to do with what your putting on the mount. Because your no longer imaging there are a bunch of lesser mounts that MAY be suitable and more convenient.  Though it is a very nice mount.

Edited by scadvice, 15 August 2022 - 07:04 PM.

#5 cytan299

cytan299

Apollo

Posted 15 August 2022 - 07:22 PM

respected Astro wizards, 

Here’s my story. Sometime in 2018, I decided to go big and bought the AP Mach 1. For reasons related to poor health, I’ve never really managed to take out the mount. Since then, I’ve realized that the mount may be a beaut but it is not portable nor does it fit any “low cost” tripod. I have to supplement this with adapters from AP, also at great cost. Now, AP’s products are fantastic works of engineering and they do not skimp on quality. 

Question : is my Mach 1 worth keeping or should I sell this and get the CGEM II EQ mount and tripod? I used to be an astrophotographer but sadly, not any more. 
Thanks vey much. 

Lathif 

Personally, I think you'd regret selling the Mach1 even if you're not doing astrophotography. If you decide to sell, I'm sure  someone else will enjoy your Mach1 because I really love mine.

cytan

• Raginar, Jethro7 and TOASTRONAUT like this

#6 RogeZ

RogeZ

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Palm Beach Gardens, FL

Posted 15 August 2022 - 07:42 PM

I would keep the mount. Absolutely. Get a Berlebach Planet, it works beautifully with these mounts.
  • Traveler and TOASTRONAUT like this

#7 AgilityGuy

AgilityGuy

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Northern CA

Posted 15 August 2022 - 07:43 PM

If you have a safe place to leave it setup cover it with a Telegizmo cover and it will always be ready. I bought mine in 2018 as well and it’s a beautiful mount. I leave mine under cover and just remove the telescope. It’s ready to use in minutes.

#8 bosh60

bosh60

Vendor - SkyTrack

• Vendors
  • Loc: Southwestern Ontario, Canada

Posted 15 August 2022 - 07:51 PM

For sure keep the Mach 1. My Mach2GTO mount spends most of its time on a permanent pier, but when I do go portable I use an iOptron tri-pier with the AP ADATRI adapter. 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_8238.JPG

• Phil Cowell, R Botero, Dean J. and 1 other like this

#9 Christopher Erickson

Christopher Erickson

Skylab

• Loc: Waikoloa Village, Hawaii

Posted 16 August 2022 - 02:36 PM

The Losmandy LW tripod is a good match for the Mach-1 too. Look for a used one and save even more money.

What OTA('s) are you putting on the Mach-1?

Attached Thumbnails

• 14184936484281.jpg

#10 Peter Natscher

Peter Natscher

Apollo

• Loc: Central Coast California

Posted 16 August 2022 - 05:13 PM

respected Astro wizards, 

Thanks vey much. 

Lathif 

Maybe you don't need a equatorial mount anymore if you're only observing. You might consider a Alt-Az mount that's lighter weight. Here's a photo of a side by side view of the Rowan Astronomy AZ100 Alt-Az mount and a Mach1 on Berlebach Planet tripods.  The AZ100 setup is 10lbs. lighter weight (with counter weights) than the Mach1 and a faster setup time. Without counter weights it's even less weight. Nexus Pro DSC is the object database for the AZ100 and Rowan is coming out shortly with a driven AZ100 mount to track the sky.

Attached Thumbnails

• AZ100 : Mach1 comparison.JPG

#11 hungerford

hungerford

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 17 August 2022 - 10:56 AM

I would never part with any AP mount. Anything else in my view is a downgrade.

• Phil Cowell, psandelle and TOASTRONAUT like this

#12 Jinux

Jinux

Viking 1

• Loc: Bay Area, CA

Posted 18 August 2022 - 02:14 PM

Unless I get Mach-2 or AP-1100/AE, I won't part with my Mach-1.

But for portable observing not AP'ing or short focal length AP, I definitely go with RST-135. It's just 3.5kg and no CW makes it huge difference in portability. It can handle C11 w/o CW if tripod is stable. What else you can possibly want more for portable mount? Now there are more choices as well for cheaper price.

• psandelle, Raginar and TOASTRONAUT like this

#13 JimP

JimP

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: USA

Posted 18 August 2022 - 09:34 PM

Remember with a Mach1 you can loosen the axis then, remove 4 bolts and the mount comes apart. The two parts are both lightweight and extremely portable. You can’t do that with a Mach2. You will regret ever selling your Mach1. The tripod you choose to use like an Avalon T-Pod is also light weight and very portable as well. You will regret ever selling your Mach1. Did I already say that? 😎

Jim P
  • Peter Natscher, psandelle, Ken Sturrock and 1 other like this

#14 TOASTRONAUT

TOASTRONAUT

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 August 2022 - 08:25 PM

Thank you, everyone! I’ve decided to keep the Mach 1. Currently, it’s married to. Televue 4” astrograph. I’ve decided to continue my astrophotography and get aa cover for the equipment (Telegizmo cover, some suggested). For the more mobile very dark sky festivals we have here in Canada, I am thinking of the iOptron CEM40 NUC with tripod. That’s a light mount, I believe, she can ride in my the trunk of my small car, eh?

Oh and where did you get those nifty wheels for the tripod, Christopher Erickson??

• psandelle likes this

#15 rimcrazy

rimcrazy

Viking 1

• Loc: Overgaard, AZ

Posted 22 August 2022 - 06:38 AM

Thank you, everyone! I’ve decided to keep the Mach 1. Currently, it’s married to. Televue 4” astrograph. I’ve decided to continue my astrophotography and get aa cover for the equipment (Telegizmo cover, some suggested). For the more mobile very dark sky festivals we have here in Canada, I am thinking of the iOptron CEM40 NUC with tripod. That’s a light mount, I believe, she can ride in my the trunk of my small car, eh?

Oh and where did you get those nifty wheels for the tripod, Christopher Erickson??

On the Telegizmo cover be sure and get the 365 version.  I have 2 of these and they are wonderful.   Work in all weather and impervious to rain/sun/snow.  Here is my setup in my back yard.

Phoenix Heat Observatory with 2 telescope setups covered

• Raginar likes this

#16 t-ara-fan

t-ara-fan

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: 50° 13' N

Posted 22 August 2022 - 02:04 PM

Thank you, everyone! I’ve decided to keep the Mach 1

For the more mobile very dark sky festivals we have here in Canada, I am thinking of the iOptron CEM40 NUC with tripod.

Good call. 

The Mach1 isn't THAT heavy. I have a Pelican case for mine when I go mobile.  The mount breaks into two pieces if you remove 2-3 bolts to make it even lighter.

Total: 28 lb. (12.7 kg),  R.A. axis/polar fork: 16.5 lb. (7.5 kg),  Dec. axis: 11.5 lb. (5.2 kg) , probably <40 pounds in a Pelican case.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mount

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics