•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

A Wedge that isn't quite so ... Celestron Nexstar 4SE

Catadioptric Celestron Maksutov Mount Polar Alignment
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 natarajanganesan

natarajanganesan

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 August 2022 - 07:05 PM

Just got a Celestron Nexstar 4SE. It said it had a built in wedge that got me excited in the hopes of carrying out some precise alignment. Looks like the base only has the Latitude adjustment Rod and then you proceed with EQ North align (in my case North). 

There is NO Azimuth adjustment knob at all unlike the stand-alone wedge they offer. So unless there is some sort of compensation of sorts to adjust for this in the star alignment procedure, I see no way to achieve precise polar alignment. 

Does anyone have experience with this? Any workarounds OR am I missing something?

Edited by natarajanganesan, 15 August 2022 - 07:06 PM.

#2 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Voyager 1

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 15 August 2022 - 08:12 PM

That's about it... for the price, it's in line with what should be one's expectations. Calling it a wedge is a bit of a stretch... "Handy Rod and Hinge" is more like it. You'll need to deftly horse the entire tripod around to (attempt to) finesse the E-W pole acquisition on this one-armed bandit. Customers want cheap, and this is about the only way of providing max possible features on on a tuna fish budget. Come to think of it --- tuna fish has gotten astonishingly expensive!    Tom

[This image found on their full-page advertisement p3 of S&T Oct 2022.]

Attached Thumbnails

• 37 Celestron 4SE.jpg
  • 38 one armed bandit.jpg

Edited by TOMDEY, 15 August 2022 - 08:20 PM.

• Applal and firemachine69 like this

#3 michael8554

michael8554

Vanguard

• Loc: Wiltshire UK

Posted 16 August 2022 - 09:17 AM

Hi natarajanganesan

Yes, you'll need to give the base of the north tripod leg a little tap to make subtle Azimuth adjustments.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Catadioptric, Celestron, Maksutov, Mount, Polar Alignment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics