•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What is your favorite TeleVue eyepiece?

• Please log in to reply
189 replies to this topic

#151 Hans S.

Hans S.

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: 48°47' N, 9°20' E

Posted 31 August 2022 - 02:16 PM

31 Nagler and 22 Panoptic.

Funny. With me: 35 mm Panoptic and 22 mm Nagler.

Hans

• 25585 likes this

#152 Mike W

Mike W

Vanguard

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 31 August 2022 - 02:19 PM

17.3 and 10mm Delos.

Edited by Mike W, 31 August 2022 - 02:19 PM.

#153 rob.0919

rob.0919

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Derby , UK

Posted 31 August 2022 - 05:12 PM

24mm Panoptics

22264874752_a4ac454bcd_c.jpg

Edited by rob.0919, 31 August 2022 - 05:13 PM.

• doctordub, George N, Skywatchr and 2 others like this

#154 Skywatchr

Skywatchr

Gemini

• Loc: North-Central Pa.

Posted 04 September 2022 - 10:28 AM

Similar to the ES thread HERE,

What is your favorite TeleVue eyepiece, and why?

In my 10" f/5.6, it is the 6 Delos for Planetary and Lunar, and the Apollo 11 for DSOs.

EDIT:

Forgot to explain the why, as my daughter was tugging at me to bbq her chicken...

Delos for their contrasty and sharp views, and A11 for the wide AFOV and tack sharp stars. The best trait of the A11 in my opinion, is the well behaved exit pupil. Once you acquire it, it's easy to hold.

For me, the 8mm Ethos.  Why?  Al Nagler thought it would be "too much" for my 18" F/5 Dob.  I had to coax him into trying it as he was dropping it into many scopes that night at Cherry Springs.  As soon as he focused on M13, a loud "WOW!  Judi you have to see this!" permeated the night.  It was tack sharp edge to edge. And no, I never use a Coma Corrector in this scope. grin.gif  And just like that, a line formed at my scope with more "wow" factors being born. I had to wait in line for my own scope! bow.gif

My other "just as" favorite in the 18", is the 20mm T2 Nagler.  It has a number of battle scars on the body, but you'll need to pry it from my cold dead hands. lol.gif  The 1st Gen (fatter) Ethos 13 comes in 3rd for the 18" when a little more power, but not too much is needed.

• Kutno, Voyager 3, f18dad and 1 other like this

#155 russell23

russell23

Hubble

Posted 04 September 2022 - 11:08 AM

For me, the 8mm Ethos.  Why?  Al Nagler thought it would be "too much" for my 18" F/5 Dob.  I had to coax him into trying it as he was dropping it into many scopes that night at Cherry Springs.  As soon as he focused on M13, a loud "WOW!  Judi you have to see this!" permeated the night.  It was tack sharp edge to edge. And no, I never use a Coma Corrector in this scope. grin.gif  And just like that, a line formed at my scope with more "wow" factors being born. I had to wait in line for my own scope! bow.gif

My other "just as" favorite in the 18", is the 20mm T2 Nagler.  It has a number of battle scars on the body, but you'll need to pry it from my cold dead hands. lol.gif  The 1st Gen (fatter) Ethos 13 comes in 3rd for the 18" when a little more power, but not too much is needed.

The 14mm Delos is my favorite TV eyepiece, but I thought the 8mm Ethos was fantastic - possibly my favorite 100 deg eyepiece.  I only sold it because the 7mm APM XWA gave me a little extra magnification and better exit pupil for me with f/7 scopes.

• Skywatchr and Durkinphd like this

#156 Starman1

Starman1

Stargeezer

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 04 September 2022 - 11:36 AM

Speaking of the 8mm Ethos, I had all 8 of the Ethos for many years.  I found the use of the 8mm to be the easiest of all of them in terms

of acquiring and holding the exit pupil.  I don't know why it was so much easier to use than the other focal lengths.

The 6mm is a bit sharper, but the 8mm was just an easy-to-use eyepiece.

Since I don't need glasses below 9mm, I still have the 8mm and I note I used it a LOT the last night I spent under the stars.

• George N, Skywatchr, russell23 and 3 others like this

#157 Bearcub

Bearcub

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 04 September 2022 - 02:02 PM

24mm Panoptics

22264874752_a4ac454bcd_c.jpg

Hello, do you have your own personal review or binoviewing? I would like to read it.

#158 George N

George N

Cosmos

• Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 14 September 2022 - 10:58 AM

After reading all this -- If I were in charge at TeleVue -- I'd keep the N22 and 24Pan in production for a very long time to come!  wink.gif

I own neither - but my fav local "public observatory" has the N22, and I love using it - excellent eyepiece, but not my personal TV fav...... and I have a good friend who never removes a Binotron 27 binoviewer from his Obsession 18's focuser, even for storage and transport - equipped with 24pan's - I don't own that pair, but they are on my *wish list* for binoviewing.

A few months ago, I would have said Nagler 26mm - but I recently sold it to a friend (so I can borrow it back!!) to fund another eyepiece (not a TV)

With my current interest in 'widest true field in a big fast Dob, keeping the exit pupil within reason, forcing as many photons as possible into my eyeball' - the winner is - 21mm Ethos - runner-up = N31 (maybe - will compare soon)

With Denk II binoviewer (which I've recently returned to using) - the winner is - Pan24 pair

With 60mm solar HA double-stack -- based on trying borrowed eyepieces at two recent star parties - the winner is - 7mm DeLite

I'd have different results for my other scopes - but they are mostly 'imaging' now.

Future testing - hopefully a week from now at Black Forest Star Party - N31 vs ES 25mm 100 - in my F/3.5 20" (with PII of course) -- may the best eyepiece win!

Edited by George N, 14 September 2022 - 10:59 AM.

• Skywatchr and Rick-T137 like this

#159 Bkmiller4463

Bkmiller4463

Messenger

• Loc: Salt Lake City

Posted 14 September 2022 - 01:02 PM

In general, 31T5 if it’s dark, Delite 7 if it’s not. Hard to say though, since it’s so dependent on the object. 

• Durkinphd likes this

#160 Mike W

Mike W

Vanguard

Posted 14 September 2022 - 01:14 PM

10mm Delos.

#161 Highburymark

Highburymark

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 15 September 2022 - 02:25 PM

Surprised Delos EPs haven’t done better in this thread, though the 10mm rightly gets a few votes. Delite underperform too - though maybe they’re too new. Nagler 22 wins by some margin so far. Didn’t realise it had such a following. Honourable mentions for Nagler 31, Ethos 13, and Panoptic 24.
My own favourites:
Plossls 32/20/15 in a binoviewer for solar Ha. So sharp.
I loved Ethos 13 and Delos 10 before I changed to lighter eyepieces a few years ago. Now I have a niggling worry that I’d like the E13 again, but not at current UK prices with the Pound plunging against the dollar.
Nagler T6 11mm is a fine eyepiece. A sleeping classic.
Panoptic 24s in a binoviewer are superb, even with all that pincushioning.
Love the Delite range for all types of astronomy - planetary, DSOs, solar, night vision - particularly the 18.2s in a binoviewer. Prising the slightly tight end caps off seems like a trivial price to pay for those views.
Plossl 55/67 with a night vision device and Cygnus is incredible.
I couldn’t pick a single favourite. I’ve probably owned 30 TeleVue eyepieces and enjoyed them all. For the qualities I want from an eyepiece - sharpness, contrast, transmission, comfort, field flatness, ease of use on my mounts - then the Delites best fit the bill.
  • John Huntley, SkyRanger, 25585 and 1 other like this

#162 Deep13

Deep13

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NE Ohio

Posted 16 September 2022 - 02:10 AM

I don't know. Maybe the 14 Delos.

#163 lenscapremoved

lenscapremoved

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Apple Valley, CA, USA

Posted 10 October 2022 - 02:30 PM

I've had a telescope for less than a year, so I don't have nearly enough experience to form really strong opinions. I do attend star parties where I get to try out my fellow astronomers' EP's. That helps a lot! I have yet to try a Pentax XW or Baader Morpheus (or many others), but I have tried a number of TV's: most of the Delos, an Ethos, a Panoptic, and two Naglers.

It was at my last star party, that I discovered that a friend had just received a new N22T4. Oh boy! After acquiring a Delos 12 as my first premium EP, I had figured that the N22T4 would be my 2nd or 3rd premium EP purchase. I asked if I could try it out on my 8" Dob. No problem. Another friend handed me his N20T2 and told me to try this one too. I wanted to hand it back and say, "No thanks." It was.... heavy. And, I didn't want to waste any time on THAT. I already KNEW I was going to like the N22T4. After trying out the eye cup adjustment on the T4.... Nice! I "dropped" it in. Oooooh, Ahhhh. Oh, it was very comfortable, I LIKE it! I was looking at clusters in and around Cassiopia. I remember seeing the Double Cluster. Finally, I exchanged for the N20T2. Woo, what the heck is the ER on this thing? I'm right in on it! Well, dang, I'm good with it. Holy cow, look how crisp the stars are all the way to the edge!? Much better than the N22T4? Back and forth the two EP's went in and out of the scope for at least the next hour. Yeah, much better. I found that the N22T4 was more comfortable, but the N20T2 was not far off. I was surprised that my AD8 could handle the super-heavy EP. I had adjusted the tension screws and it wasn't always dropping back down. I have two Farpoint counterweight bags and I know how to use them! I had to buy the second when I recently got the Delos 12 and the TV 2x Barlow. And I had added a couple layers of electric tape to the Dob forks to eliminate the slop that the Delos had revealed. I decided that I somehow preferred the N20T2 over the T22T4 in spite of my already having made up my mind. My friend was wanting to sell his N20T2 and let me take it home with me.

Once I got home, and recovered from being up all night, I did some research on the N20T2. Only 12mm ER! I didn't think I would be okay with that. I am near sighted and don't wear glasses at the EP, but thought more ER would be more comfortable. This EP was discontinued in 1999. It was replaced with a much lighter N20T5, but then that too was discontinued and replaced with the very popular N22T4 with way more ER. 

Yeah, I bought my friend's N20T2. I vote for the Nagler 20mm Type 2. I will go on to suggest that this is the best TV Nagler in this range? That this was making 20mm as good as it could be. That the N20T5 compromised quality of view in order to lighten the load, AND N22T4 further compromised in order to lengthen the ER. MAYBE it was only topped by the equally heavy Ethos 21? Or did that compromise in order to get the wider view and a little more ER? I haven't tried THAT Ethos. I just know that I really like my Delos 12 and I intend to get more Delos, but the N20T2 is my WOW EP!

Clear Skies!

Edited by lenscapremoved, 10 October 2022 - 02:46 PM.

• RichD, PKDfan and Gschnettler like this

#164 KJL

KJL

Viking 1

• Loc: Boston, MA

Posted 10 October 2022 - 02:51 PM

Once I got home, and recovered from being up all night, I did some research on the N20T2. Only 12mm ER! I didn't think I would be okay with that. I am near sighted and don't wear glasses at the EP, but thought more ER would be more comfortable. This EP was discontinued in 1999. It was replaced with a much lighter N20T5, but then that too was discontinued and replaced with the very popular N22T4 with way more ER.

I vote for the Nagler 20mm Type 2. I will go on to suggest that this is the best TV Nagler in this range? That this was making 20mm as good as it could be. That the N20T5 compromised quality of view in order to lighten the load, AND N22T4 further compromised in order to lengthen the ER. MAYBE it was only topped by the equally heavy Ethos 21? Or did that compromise in order to get the wider view and a little more ER? I haven't tried THAT Ethos. I just know that I really like my Delos 12 and I intend to get more Delos, but the N20T2 is my WOW EP!Clear Skies!

I love this. There is very little that can be argued against a perfect combination of night, scope, eyepiece, and taste.

A bit much to extrapolate anything more from that, though, lol — particularly when it's not even the same focal length ....

#165 lenscapremoved

lenscapremoved

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 10 October 2022 - 03:48 PM

I love this. There is very little that can be argued against a perfect combination of night, scope, eyepiece, and taste.

A bit much to extrapolate anything more from that, though, lol — particularly when it's not even the same focal length ....

Oh I know I'm reaching here. I'm more "asking" than "stating" that "my" EP is better than "your" EP! LOL. Even for just me, it would take multiple viewings for me to state that I definitely like this better than that and I haven't even seen some of those EP's. But this was my first really WOW EP. I also looked through some really big, nice ES EP's with an Obsession 22" that night too.

Edited by lenscapremoved, 10 October 2022 - 03:49 PM.

• KJL likes this

#166 Observer1980

Observer1980

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 10 October 2022 - 04:07 PM

2x barlow

• lenscapremoved likes this

#167 lenscapremoved

lenscapremoved

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 10 October 2022 - 04:25 PM

2x barlow

Yeah, I'm hoping that gave me a Delos 6 for a third the price. I'll have to compare my Delos 12 and 2x Barlow with a friend's Delos 6 at the next star party to see.

#168 RichD

RichD

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Derbyshire, UK

Posted 12 October 2022 - 04:52 AM

Only had it for about a month but my new fave is the 20mm type 2 Nagler - It's incredible. And incredibly heavy!

• lenscapremoved likes this

#169 Exnihilo

Exnihilo

Vanguard

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 13 October 2022 - 01:00 PM

I'd have to say Nagler 3.5, and Radian 3.  I'm not into the bigger Televues so much; I have Morpheus to handle those longer lengths.  Maybe if I had gotten into them from the start I'd have a different list, but a few years ago I didn't have enough funds to go around.  I do really like the two that I have though!

Edited by Exnihilo, 13 October 2022 - 01:10 PM.

#170 FirstSight

FirstSight

Duke of Deneb

• Moderators
  • Loc: Raleigh, NC

Posted 13 October 2022 - 07:13 PM

17 Ethos, followed closely by 13 Ethos
  • JeremySh likes this

#171 TayM57

TayM57

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Eros Station

Posted 15 October 2022 - 06:05 PM

Surprised Delos EPs haven’t done better in this thread, though the 10mm rightly gets a few votes. Delite underperform too - though maybe they’re too new. Nagler 22 wins by some margin so far. Didn’t realise it had such a following. Honourable mentions for Nagler 31, Ethos 13, and Panoptic 24.
My own favourites:
Plossls 32/20/15 in a binoviewer for solar Ha. So sharp.
I loved Ethos 13 and Delos 10 before I changed to lighter eyepieces a few years ago. Now I have a niggling worry that I’d like the E13 again, but not at current UK prices with the Pound plunging against the dollar.
Nagler T6 11mm is a fine eyepiece. A sleeping classic.
Panoptic 24s in a binoviewer are superb, even with all that pincushioning.
Love the Delite range for all types of astronomy - planetary, DSOs, solar, night vision - particularly the 18.2s in a binoviewer. Prising the slightly tight end caps off seems like a trivial price to pay for those views.
Plossl 55/67 with a night vision device and Cygnus is incredible.
I couldn’t pick a single favourite. I’ve probably owned 30 TeleVue eyepieces and enjoyed them all. For the qualities I want from an eyepiece - sharpness, contrast, transmission, comfort, field flatness, ease of use on my mounts - then the Delites best fit the bill.

I'm not surprised at the votes on the N22T4. I am however, surprised that the 10 Delos gets more mentions than the 6 Delos. To my eyes, the 6 Delos performs better overall, even though they are different focal lengths. The exit pupil in the 6 Delos behaves like the A11. Once you acquire it, it's easy to hold. The 10 Delos is a little different in that regard. Not more difficult, just different.

And the Delites are among some of the best performing eyepieces as well.

Edited by TayM57, 15 October 2022 - 06:06 PM.

• 25585 and Highburymark like this

#172 John Huntley

John Huntley

Soyuz

• Loc: SW England

Posted 15 October 2022 - 06:31 PM

I've still not tried a DeLite. It's on my "to do" list though smile.gif

I've been using my 6mm Ethos to observe Jupiter a lot lately. It seems to deliver just the right amount of magnification in my refractors to suit the usual observing conditions here for the giant planet. For Saturn and Mars I can switch to the 4.7mm Ethos SX as those planets seem to benefit from more magnification better than Jupiter (usually) does. 

• Highburymark and JeremySh like this

#173 ChuppsterXLM

ChuppsterXLM

Explorer 1

• Loc: Honolulu, HI

Posted 15 October 2022 - 10:52 PM

I have many favorites!  Nagler 9T1, 13T1,  17T4, 22T4, Panoptic 24 & 27 and Nagler 31T5. But If I have to choose one it would be Panoptic 24mm.

Edited by ChuppsterXLM, 15 October 2022 - 10:54 PM.

• Granite Glasser likes this

#174 faackanders2

faackanders2

Cosmos

Posted 17 October 2022 - 07:49 PM

10mm Ethos is my favorite.

I also have 3.7 & 4.8mm Ethos and a pair of 24mm Panoptics.

#175 25585

James Webb Space Telescope

• Loc: In a valley, in the SW UK. 51°N

Posted 18 October 2022 - 04:14 AM

If I could only keep one TV eyepiece, it would be my semi-smoothie 55mm Plossl.

• Highburymark, eblanken and firemachine69 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics