•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Western North Dakota Astonomy Club

Astrophotography Beginner Clubs Observing Star Party Visual
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 NDskys

NDskys

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: North Dakota

Posted 17 August 2022 - 06:08 PM

Hello everyone, I have been reading many posts here and have learned a great deal from this great community.

I am interested in starting an astronomy club here in western North Dakota. I reside in Tioga, ND, and yes, the oil industry has brought a lot of light pollution to the area but there are still some pretty good skies to be had. Winters can be brutal, but I am currently looking into obtaining some property in a darker sky area up here to place a few observatories and a general use building for meetings and such.

I would like to provide outreach programs for both Adults and our Youth. So if you are in Western North Dakota or Eastern Montana and would be interested in becoming a part of a group of like minded individuals, please let me know. I am also working to obtain a couple of scopes and such that can be "checked out" by members. This is just in the starting stages, but I think we can build a pretty good club and provide a nice atmosphere for young and old to learn about astronomy and the wonders of our Universe.

So please, if you can be of help, or would be interested in joining me to bring the wonders of space to our communities please let me know.

Thank you all, and have a great day.

Clear Skies...

Marc Whealdon

• txmnjim, MikeTahtib and Bob W4 like this

#2 Simcal

Simcal

Viking 1

• Loc: Caledon, Ont.

Posted 17 August 2022 - 07:03 PM

Best wishes of success for your endeavour Marc.  Clear Skies!

• NDskys likes this

#3 Starman47

Starman47

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Bortle 5 and getting more light polluted each day

Posted 21 August 2022 - 10:22 AM

Are there any clubs nearby? If there are, then you may not have as much work to do. Of course, good luck in your endeavor.

• NDskys likes this

#4 NDskys

NDskys

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: North Dakota

Posted 21 August 2022 - 11:58 PM

Are there any clubs nearby? If there are, then you may not have as much work to do. Of course, good luck in your endeavor.

Hello Starman47,

As far as I can tell from my research to date, there is not a club in this area, and the only one in North Dakota that I am aware of does not seem to be doing much (plus it is on the other side of the state in Grand Forks. I know I have a lot of work to do, but once I get the interest started with maybe a star party or two, reaching out to some of the local other groups, such as Scouts, schools and such, I think I can get it started in draw some interest. Just have to see how it all pans out.  If not, I will keep doing what I do and enjoy and share the night skies.

Thank you and Clear Skies...

Marc

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrophotography, Beginner, Clubs, Observing, Star Party, Visual

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics