•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron AVX Mount - Power Supply Question

Mount
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 lancing

lancing

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 August 2022 - 07:03 PM

After debating between going for a Celestron 8SE on sale or getting the AVX mount I ended up pulling the trigger on the AVX mount.

My question is does anyone know what kind of power cable or adapters come with these?

For now I'm looking to power it with a Bluetti EB70S (link below for port information) and I am trying to figure out if I need to buy a compatible cable or if it comes with one.

Thanks in advance!

https://www.bluettip...MxoCJbMQAvD_BwE

• Skywatchr and ColdyNitesNC like this

#2 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

• Loc: Athens, Georgia, USA

Posted 17 August 2022 - 07:20 PM

I don't know if any cables come with the Bluetti.   The AVX may come with a lighter socket cable, in which case you can plug it into the lighter socket on the Bluetti.  (I think it does, but we should ask someone who bought an AVX recently.)

The AVX power connector is DC coaxial, 5.5 mm outside, 2.0 or 2.1 mm inside, positive center, 12 to 14 volts.

The power supply that comes with the AVX has a threaded retainer on the plug to keep it from pulling out.  You can get that plug separately from electronics suppliers; it is a Switchcraft S761K as best I recall.

• ColdyNitesNC likes this

#3 ColdyNitesNC

ColdyNitesNC

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Nevada City, Ca

Posted 17 August 2022 - 07:22 PM

Yes, the AVX comes with a cable that plugs into a cigarette lighter style socket.

• Skywatchr and Michael Covington like this

#4 ColdyNitesNC

ColdyNitesNC

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Nevada City, Ca

Posted 17 August 2022 - 07:23 PM

Also, the AVX doesn't come with a power supply. In your case you may not need it since you have the Bluetti.

#5 lancing

lancing

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 August 2022 - 07:28 PM

Thanks folks!

Yup, a 12V cigarette lighter type cable should work with the Bluetti which thankfully saves me having to buy something else.

• Michael Covington likes this

#6 Michael Covington

Michael Covington

Author

• Loc: Athens, Georgia, USA

Posted 17 August 2022 - 08:10 PM

That is excellent because it means you have the special Switchcraft plug going into the AVX.  Many AVX owners have trouble with plugs that look right but give loose connections.  In particular, 5.5x2.5-mm plugs will fit but only make contact intermittently.

#7 carver2011

carver2011

Messenger

• -----

Posted 18 August 2022 - 07:40 AM

Hello

The Bluetti looks like a great power source, but to me a little overkill, and expensive. Celestron make s a great power tank that many use, and are happy with, at a third of the cost. At $250, it would give you $500 to maybe buy a quality eyepiece.

https://optcorp.com/...ank-lithium-pro

Enjoy your new mount

Ed

• Michael Covington likes this

#8 Skywatchr

Skywatchr

Gemini

• Loc: North-Central Pa.

Posted 18 August 2022 - 08:32 AM

After debating between going for a Celestron 8SE on sale or getting the AVX mount I ended up pulling the trigger on the AVX mount.

My question is does anyone know what kind of power cable or adapters come with these?

For now I'm looking to power it with a Bluetti EB70S (link below for port information) and I am trying to figure out if I need to buy a compatible cable or if it comes with one.

Thanks in advance!

https://www.bluettip...MxoCJbMQAvD_BwE

It comes with a nice long 12v Cigarette lighter cord. From there you can plug it into any portable battery (or AC) source equipped with one.

You can also optionally buy a regulated AC to 12vDC adapter if you choose not to use batteries. The Celestron one should have the captive Switchcraft (threaded) plug for the scope end. But it can be a double edged sword.  If you "trip" on the cord, serious damage could occur.  I use velcro strips to run it down the tripod legs, then some larger car floor mats to cover it around me so I don't snag the cord on anything.

#9 lancing

lancing

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 August 2022 - 09:06 AM

Hello

The Bluetti looks like a great power source, but to me a little overkill, and expensive. Celestron make s a great power tank that many use, and are happy with, at a third of the cost. At $250, it would give you $500 to maybe buy a quality eyepiece.

https://optcorp.com/...ank-lithium-pro

Enjoy your new mount

Ed

All good. The Bluetti just happens to be lying around already. I bought it around a year ago with a full set of portable solar panels and I normally use it for camping.

Edited by lancing, 18 August 2022 - 09:06 AM.

• Skywatchr and Michael Covington like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mount

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics