•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New duo band filters - which is the new king?

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#26 Phishin_phool

Phishin_phool

Viking 1

• Loc: Ohio

Posted 20 August 2022 - 01:47 PM

Please post what filter manufacturer you selected.  I was burned with the Optolong L-eXtreme filter and don't want to make another mistake. 

As I said I am using IDAS NBZ due to shooting at f2 - here are 2 of the results I got with it

https://flickr.com/p...eposted-public/ 

(I messed up settings on my calibration frames and thus left a bit of ampglow on the right still)

and https://flickr.com/p...eposted-public/ Overall I have been very pleased 

• Jim Waters likes this

#27 msacco

msacco

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 20 August 2022 - 03:36 PM

As I said I am using IDAS NBZ due to shooting at f2 - here are 2 of the results I got with it

https://flickr.com/p...eposted-public/

(I messed up settings on my calibration frames and thus left a bit of ampglow on the right still)

and https://flickr.com/p...eposted-public/ Overall I have been very pleased 

Technically speaking, the Antlia ALP-T also has a highspeed version which is good for f/2.2-f/3.6:

https://www.365astro...-f-2.2-to-f-3.6

• psandelle likes this

#28 msacco

msacco

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 23 August 2022 - 08:18 AM

They posted some halo test:

https://optolong.com...ail/id/195.html

It looks nice but I wish they would post stacks and not single frames.

#29 dx_ron

dx_ron

Surveyor 1

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 27 August 2022 - 08:18 AM

I've been using the Alp-T for a few weeks now, but hadn't framed up any particularly bright stars yet. Last night I ran one hour on Sadr before moving on. There's a bit of halo, but compared to what I was used to with the L-eXtreme I'm pretty pleased with it.

Sadr_60'.jpg

Sadr_crop.jpg

AT65EDQ, Risingcam IMX571C, 12x 300"

#30 msacco

msacco

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 27 August 2022 - 08:26 AM

I've been using the Alp-T for a few weeks now, but hadn't framed up any particularly bright stars yet. Last night I ran one hour on Sadr before moving on. There's a bit of halo, but compared to what I was used to with the L-eXtreme I'm pretty pleased with it.

attachicon.gifSadr_60'.jpg

attachicon.gifSadr_crop.jpg

AT65EDQ, Risingcam IMX571C, 12x 300"

Thanks for sharing, appreciate that.

I recently imaged sadr with my L-eXtreme, will share the result later.

It looks pretty good, not completely halo free but pretty controllable.

#31 bnickeson

bnickeson

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 10 September 2022 - 01:04 PM

I bought the ALP-T recently, specifically because it reportedly had much less haloing than other similar filters.  I'm disappointed to report that the haloing on my copy is extremely bad.  Navi is pictured below, both with a single calibrated image and then an integrated image from two nights of imaging.  Even the much smaller, dimmer stars have haloing.  Gonna be a lot of Photoshop in my future.

Halo.jpg

Edited by bnickeson, 10 September 2022 - 01:06 PM.

#32 msacco

msacco

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 10 September 2022 - 01:25 PM

I bought the ALP-T recently, specifically because it reportedly had much less haloing than other similar filters.  I'm disappointed to report that the haloing on my copy is extremely bad.  Navi is pictured below, both with a single calibrated image and then an integrated image from two nights of imaging.  Even the much smaller, dimmer stars have haloing.  Gonna be a lot of Photoshop in my future.

attachicon.gifHalo.jpg

Wow, that's really interesting...what gear do you use?

#33 bnickeson

bnickeson

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 10 September 2022 - 01:37 PM

This was with a QHY168c and Stellarvue SV102T.  Might have to try it with my Canon 6D as I'm not as familiar with the 168c.

#34 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA

Posted 10 September 2022 - 02:30 PM

It sounds like buying filters is still risky from any vendor.  Agena Astro will not accept some filters returned because of halo's.

#35 bnickeson

bnickeson

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 10 September 2022 - 02:47 PM

It sounds like buying filters is still risky from any vendor.  Agena Astro will not accept some filters returned because of halo's.

This is one of them that is un-returnable.  I'll do some more testing then contact the supplier directly to see if they will offer a replacement.  From what I've seen from everyone else's photos, this is extremely uncharacteristic of the filter.

• Jim Waters likes this

#36 msacco

msacco

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 10 September 2022 - 03:24 PM

This is one of them that is un-returnable.  I'll do some more testing then contact the supplier directly to see if they will offer a replacement.  From what I've seen from everyone else's photos, this is extremely uncharacteristic of the filter.

True, could this somehow be some internal reflections maybe?

#37 bnickeson

bnickeson

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 10 September 2022 - 03:48 PM

True, could this somehow be some internal reflections maybe?

Doubtful.  I've used this scope numerous times without the filter and never anything resembling a reflection.  Plus, the uniform appearance, roughly centered on the star, and the haloing around dimmer stars points to a piece of glass in the optical path.  I'm not going to rule out something with the sensor glass on this camera until I test with another camera, but I'd say there's a very good chance it's the filter.

#38 msacco

msacco

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 10 September 2022 - 03:57 PM

Doubtful.  I've used this scope numerous times without the filter and never anything resembling a reflection.  Plus, the uniform appearance, roughly centered on the star, and the haloing around dimmer stars points to a piece of glass in the optical path.  I'm not going to rule out something with the sensor glass on this camera until I test with another camera, but I'd say there's a very good chance it's the filter.

That's a bummer.

I asked that because I've recently imaged Rho ophiuchi, no filters and I still had halo on Antares, not really sure why, first time I see a halo without a filter :p 

#39 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Cosmos

• Loc: Ajman - UAE

Posted 24 September 2022 - 03:53 AM

So we are still..... WAITIN......

#40 msacco

msacco

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 24 September 2022 - 04:01 AM

So we are still..... WAITIN......

I personally decided to skip the L-Ultimate.

Halo control on bright stars seems okayish, but on Visible Dark's video it seems like there are weird halos on small stars, which is even worse.

I'll probably go with the Antlia ALP-T Gold, or the new Askar one, which I've yet to see much about, and is super expensive.

#41 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Cosmos

Posted 24 September 2022 - 04:39 AM

I personally decided to skip the L-Ultimate.

Halo control on bright stars seems okayish, but on Visible Dark's video it seems like there are weird halos on small stars, which is even worse.

I'll probably go with the Antlia ALP-T Gold, or the new Askar one, which I've yet to see much about, and is super expensive.

I also skipped that L-Ultimate because of Shawn himself, he commented me that he won't rush to get it if he was in my place, and yes, i saw those weird halos on smaller off center stars, even Galactic Hunters did a test with this filter and also same result, no halo on some bright stars but surprising halo on another ones, kind of the center is ok but off center isn't, so that is not what i look for.

Antlia is nice, but it is 5nm, i really need 3nm or even narrower if possible for my B8/9, now about Askar, the results i saw are nice and amazing, but, i can't trust those, they might did a lot of processing or didn't make enough tests to confirm, and i didn't see more results recently from them, i was really very close to order L-Ultimate, good i didn't, and now i am saving for the Askar unless i see something later or very soon that it is also not good before i put that much cost.

• licho52 likes this

#42 msacco

msacco

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 24 September 2022 - 04:46 AM

I also skipped that L-Ultimate because of Shawn himself, he commented me that he won't rush to get it if he was in my place, and yes, i saw those weird halos on smaller off center stars, even Galactic Hunters did a test with this filter and also same result, no halo on some bright stars but surprising halo on another ones, kind of the center is ok but off center isn't, so that is not what i look for.

Antlia is nice, but it is 5nm, i really need 3nm or even narrower if possible for my B8/9, now about Askar, the results i saw are nice and amazing, but, i can't trust those, they might did a lot of processing or didn't make enough tests to confirm, and i didn't see more results recently from them, i was really very close to order L-Ultimate, good i didn't, and now i am saving for the Askar unless i see something later or very soon that it is also not good before i put that much cost.

I wouldn't say one 'needs' 3nm or narrower for B8/9, you can do plenty enough with the L-eXtreme even from B8/9. 3nm is great, but 5nm is good as well. I personally don't know if the Askar is worth around $150 more for 3nm instead of 5nm, and atm there are not enough reliable tests for me.

#43 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Cosmos

Posted 24 September 2022 - 05:17 AM

I wouldn't say one 'needs' 3nm or narrower for B8/9, you can do plenty enough with the L-eXtreme even from B8/9. 3nm is great, but 5nm is good as well. I personally don't know if the Askar is worth around $150 more for 3nm instead of 5nm, and atm there are not enough reliable tests for me.

I have Astrodon Ha 5nm which is amazing, but i also have Optolong Ha 7nm and OIII/SII 6.5nm, all aren't good to my tests, then i bought Chroma OIII/SII both 3nm at 1.25" and both are perfect, so i don't leave things for luck or so so results, sure 5nm is good if it is Ha or SII, but OIII is really bad, even with 3nm it is almost great, so i don't want to buy any filter of those dual bands where OIII isn't 3nm or narrower, it is only about OIII part not Ha, otherwise i should just go into wrong long way which is buying OIII 3nm alone if i can find good quality so i can shoot that and use any dual band filters available say Antlia to get Ha from it, but that isn't good idea if using OSC, i better stay with mono then.

#44 msacco

msacco

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 24 September 2022 - 05:55 AM

I have Astrodon Ha 5nm which is amazing, but i also have Optolong Ha 7nm and OIII/SII 6.5nm, all aren't good to my tests, then i bought Chroma OIII/SII both 3nm at 1.25" and both are perfect, so i don't leave things for luck or so so results, sure 5nm is good if it is Ha or SII, but OIII is really bad, even with 3nm it is almost great, so i don't want to buy any filter of those dual bands where OIII isn't 3nm or narrower, it is only about OIII part not Ha, otherwise i should just go into wrong long way which is buying OIII 3nm alone if i can find good quality so i can shoot that and use any dual band filters available say Antlia to get Ha from it, but that isn't good idea if using OSC, i better stay with mono then.

Yeah I also switched my filters to 3nm, it makes a difference for sure, at least for mono.

Really expensive, but maybe the triad ultra is an option..4nm Oiii, 97% transmission, besides that, I guess the Askar is the only option.

I've talked to them and they said that if I'll have any halos they will refund me, but their halo standards might not be my halo standards, so then they will say "that's within specs" or whatever, and even they, I'll probably need to cover for shipping.

I'll wait for more reviews.

Edited by msacco, 24 September 2022 - 05:58 AM.

#45 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Cosmos

Posted 24 September 2022 - 03:20 PM

Yeah I also switched my filters to 3nm, it makes a difference for sure, at least for mono.

Really expensive, but maybe the triad ultra is an option..4nm Oiii, 97% transmission, besides that, I guess the Askar is the only option.

I've talked to them and they said that if I'll have any halos they will refund me, but their halo standards might not be my halo standards, so then they will say "that's within specs" or whatever, and even they, I'll probably need to cover for shipping.

I'll wait for more reviews.

What make things really interesting and funny is that many people used either L-extreme or L-enhance and they are happy with both, and some used this IDAS one, NBZ, and also happy, so suddenly me and some aren't sure about either L-Ultimate or Antlia gold ALP-T or even Askar, so it means the previous older filters aren't good then, i know we are looking for a significant improvement for sure, but maybe halo is something nearly impossible to solve completely and add another amazing performance such as 3-4nm and coated, and i am sure there are people will be happy with L-Ultimate and Antlia dual band filters no doubt.

#46 dclt

dclt

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 24 September 2022 - 05:47 PM

How well can you plate solve through these 5nm & 3nm duo narrowband filters? I have the standard 7nm L-Extreme & I’ve never had plate solving issues through that even with my SCT at full focal length. I live in bortle 7-8, so the idea of a tighter band pass duo narrowband band is enticing.

#47 Rafael Amarins

Rafael Amarins

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 26 September 2022 - 12:36 AM

attachicon.gifHalo.jpg

That is surprising and disappointing tbh, I was just about to pull the trigger for the ALP-T since I've seen multiple reviews showing halo free shots.
Anyone else had this issue with ALP-T? My alternative would be NBZ which was my first choice before ALP-T came.

#48 msacco

msacco

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 26 September 2022 - 04:22 AM

That is surprising and disappointing tbh, I was just about to pull the trigger for the ALP-T since I've seen multiple reviews showing halo free shots.
Anyone else had this issue with ALP-T? My alternative would be NBZ which was my first choice before ALP-T came.

kA64ls1.png

This is a test my friend just did with the Antlia ALP-T Gold, 2 hours on the horsehead, it's with the redcat 51, so about half frame cropped.

• Rafael Amarins likes this

#49 AaronH

AaronH

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: NSW, Australia

Posted 27 September 2022 - 01:17 AM

My ALP-T has minimal haloing (I have more with my Baader Fringe Killer or Optolong UV/IR cut filter).

I'm not sure if it makes any difference, but my filter (36mm unmounted) is positioned with the silver side facing out (gold side facing the camera).

#50 licho52

licho52

Messenger

• -----

Posted 27 September 2022 - 03:23 AM

There's no haloing with my ALP-T as well.  It's a very good filter with good transmission on both bands.

My main rig is full 7 filter Antlia setup and I am quite happy with it too.  Their current 3nm filters are outstanding value IMO.  Grab em before they go the Chroma route with pricing :)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics