•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New duo band filters - which is the new king?

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#51 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Cosmos

• Loc: Ajman - UAE

Posted 27 September 2022 - 05:20 AM

There's no haloing with my ALP-T as well.  It's a very good filter with good transmission on both bands.

My main rig is full 7 filter Antlia setup and I am quite happy with it too.  Their current 3nm filters are outstanding value IMO.  Grab em before they go the Chroma route with pricing smile.gif

Because of pricing i bought different brands filters, which is one Antlia Ha 3nm 2" and second Optolong SII 3nm 2", both were cheap enough, Optolong had an offer last month which i couldn't pass so that i bought SII, now i only need to buy a dual band NB filter i prefer 3nm so i can have full data, i neglected to buy any cheap OIII 3nm filter yet as i want to use a dual band filter first, if it is great with OIII part then i won't buy an individual OIII filter, if i buy a third APS-C mono camera in future then i will buy OIII filter, and good there are many options out there for that.

#52 msacco

msacco

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 27 September 2022 - 05:39 AM

There's no haloing with my ALP-T as well.  It's a very good filter with good transmission on both bands.

My main rig is full 7 filter Antlia setup and I am quite happy with it too.  Their current 3nm filters are outstanding value IMO.  Grab em before they go the Chroma route with pricing smile.gif

I wonder if the ones that shows halos on the ALP-T are due to bad variety of filters, or perhaps something with the setup itself, because it does indeed look very good in terms of halos. I also own the Antlia 3nm for my mono setup, they're AMAZING. At first I thought of getting chroma, but for such a huge price different and such a small performance difference, it's just not worth it in my opinion. 

#53 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Cosmos

Posted 27 September 2022 - 05:56 AM

I wonder if the ones that shows halos on the ALP-T are due to bad variety of filters, or perhaps something with the setup itself, because it does indeed look very good in terms of halos. I also own the Antlia 3nm for my mono setup, they're AMAZING. At first I thought of getting chroma, but for such a huge price different and such a small performance difference, it's just not worth it in my opinion. 

Antlia started and then others followed, and now we have enough options cheaper, such as Optolong and Askar, and there are few also, so Astrodon and Chroma although they remain the top best, their prices will push more and more to alternatives, and by the time passing i feel that those cheaper filters will be more in people hands than AD/Chroma sooner or later, so i don't know what they are thinking really or they don't care and not affected by that.

#54 gabebalazs

gabebalazs

Viking 1

• Loc: Perrysburg, OH

Posted 27 September 2022 - 06:08 AM

I bought the Antlia about 2-3 weeks ago and imaged with it a few times. Have not experienced halos, although I haven't imaged bright stars yet.

I also own the L-eNhance, which I really like minus the moderate halos. I've also just bought an IDAS NBZ and will see how that performs.

The NBZ purchase was interesting... One retailer had a 52mm NBZ on close-out sale. $180 instead of the regular $330. But it's 52mm... Well, I bought a 48 to 52mm step up ring and a 52mm to 48mm step down ring for $12 combined. Plus I had a 10% off at the filter retailer, so the whole thing cost me $182 with tax. It's worth a try for that amount, I've always liked that filter based on reviews.

Some samples taken through the ALP-T (first 2 with Svbony 102ED, the last one is a crop from a Spacecat 51 image. All of them with Risingcam IMX571 cooled camera):

Attached Thumbnails

• Antlia Stars 2.jpg
  • Antlia Stars 1.jpg
  • Antlia Stars 3.jpg

Edited by gabebalazs, 27 September 2022 - 06:11 AM.

• TareqPhoto, DeepSky Di, Rafael Amarins and 1 other like this

#55 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Cosmos

Posted 27 September 2022 - 06:20 AM

I bought the Antlia about 2-3 weeks ago and imaged with it a few times. Have not experienced halos, although I haven't imaged bright stars yet.

I also own the L-eNhance, which I really like minus the moderate halos. I've also just bought an IDAS NBZ and will see how that performs.

The NBZ purchase was interesting... One retailer had a 52mm NBZ on close-out sale. $180 instead of the regular $330. But it's 52mm... Well, I bought a 48 to 52mm step up ring and a 52mm to 48mm step down ring for $12 combined. Plus I had a 10% off at the filter retailer, so the whole thing cost me $182 with tax. It's worth a try for that amount, I've always liked that filter based on reviews.

Some samples taken through the ALP-T (first 2 with Svbony 102ED, the last one is a crop from a Spacecat 51 image. All of them with Risingcam IMX571 cooled camera):

Very nice results, lucky you.

So having same camera you have, i am using it with a 90 triplet, sounds you are happy doing Narrowbanding with a doublet FPL51 scope, if that is the case then i will try to find something like 110-120mm doublet scope for that, only narrowbanding and anything else and no LRGB.

I still keep thinking about Askar dual band filter regardless the price, i am trying hard with the brand to show me more results from their filter, they aren't much cooperative really, only showing normal JPEG compressed result, although it doesn't show any halo but it is not clear enough all zoomed in, not full size, so i feel like they didn't show the truth at maximum size with different setup, Optolong has minor issues still, and Antlia one is 5nm and i want only 3nm for OIII part at least, so i am still waiting and patient. 

• gabebalazs likes this

#56 gabebalazs

gabebalazs

Viking 1

Posted 27 September 2022 - 06:30 AM

Very nice results, lucky you.

So having same camera you have, i am using it with a 90 triplet, sounds you are happy doing Narrowbanding with a doublet FPL51 scope, if that is the case then i will try to find something like 110-120mm doublet scope for that, only narrowbanding and anything else and no LRGB.

I still keep thinking about Askar dual band filter regardless the price, i am trying hard with the brand to show me more results from their filter, they aren't much cooperative really, only showing normal JPEG compressed result, although it doesn't show any halo but it is not clear enough all zoomed in, not full size, so i feel like they didn't show the truth at maximum size with different setup, Optolong has minor issues still, and Antlia one is 5nm and i want only 3nm for OIII part at least, so i am still waiting and patient. 

Yes, my doublet 102ED is not bad at all at color correcting, I'd say very good (but not a triplet of course), but using it with a narrowband filter makes it much better. Don't have to deal with blue halos. So getting a bigger doublet and using it with the filter is a good idea.

I was contemplating on the L-Ultimate as well, but I also saw that while Vega in the center of the image did not have halos, other medium stars did have some occasionally off center. Weird. It's still miles better than the L-eXtreme.

#57 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Cosmos

Posted 27 September 2022 - 06:38 AM

Yes, my doublet 102ED is not bad at all at color correcting, I'd say very good (but not a triplet of course), but using it with a narrowband filter makes it much better. Don't have to deal with blue halos. So getting a bigger doublet and using it with the filter is a good idea.

I was contemplating on the L-Ultimate as well, but I also saw that while Vega in the center of the image did not have halos, other medium stars did have some occasionally off center. Weird. It's still miles better than the L-eXtreme.

And the problem is we don't know if Shawn and others have a bad copies or not, and if one two tests are enough to tell, i am sure many later will come out and say they LOVE L-Ultimate, if many were happy with L-eXtreme then i don't doubt many will love L-Ultimate too, who knows, but for now i am still not convinced much, i will buy once and never look back for upgrade or replacement. 

#58 Phishin_phool

Phishin_phool

Viking 1

• Loc: Ohio

Posted 27 September 2022 - 10:59 AM

I know what you mean. I bought the Idas-nbz (I have a RASA8 and needed one for fast optics). It has been great and I've never looked back.

#59 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Cosmos

Posted 27 September 2022 - 11:08 AM

I know what you mean. I bought the Idas-nbz (I have a RASA8 and needed one for fast optics). It has been great and I've never looked back.

I keep thinking about either buying NBZ or a dedicated high speed Ha if i will use fast optics [lenses], depends if i will use a color camera or a mono camera, so for high speed NBZ is the choice, but for F3-F8 scopes i don't think i will go with NBZ maybe.

#60 Phishin_phool

Phishin_phool

Viking 1

• Loc: Ohio

Posted 27 September 2022 - 07:35 PM

I keep thinking about either buying NBZ or a dedicated high speed Ha if i will use fast optics [lenses], depends if i will use a color camera or a mono camera, so for high speed NBZ is the choice, but for F3-F8 scopes i don't think i will go with NBZ maybe.

Yeah, I also have Baader Ultra High speed 3.5/4nm Ha, Sii, OIII for my mono cams. They are not the most reputable or best filters but work on my rig and my copy seems to be good. It was affordable so I am making due without issues.

Here is a link to a 2 hour stack of Oii with them 

https://flickr.com/p...eposted-public/

and the completed Ha +Oiii result

Edited by Phishin_phool, 27 September 2022 - 07:36 PM.

#61 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Cosmos

Posted 27 September 2022 - 08:11 PM

Yeah, I also have Baader Ultra High speed 3.5/4nm Ha, Sii, OIII for my mono cams. They are not the most reputable or best filters but work on my rig and my copy seems to be good. It was affordable so I am making due without issues.

Here is a link to a 2 hour stack of Oii with them 

and the completed Ha +Oiii result

That is really nice, i am sure i will be happy with any filter i can buy, hopefully happier than with my Optolong 7nm/6.5nm ones.

I saw a good price or offer for IDAS NBZ, so maybe i will go for that, but it says the size is 48mm, is that exactly or precise of 2" mounted?

#62 gabebalazs

gabebalazs

Viking 1

Posted 12 October 2022 - 08:11 PM

That is really nice, i am sure i will be happy with any filter i can buy, hopefully happier than with my Optolong 7nm/6.5nm ones.

I saw a good price or offer for IDAS NBZ, so maybe i will go for that, but it says the size is 48mm, is that exactly or precise of 2" mounted?

a 48mm filter is a 2" filter, as far as I know.

• TareqPhoto likes this

#63 StuartT

StuartT

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Oxford, UK

Posted 11 November 2022 - 04:49 AM

I had wanted the IDAS NB3 to add some Sii signal to my OSC images taken with the L Extreme. However, it's been discontinued so I have just ordered the new equivalent from Askar which passes Oiii and Sii at 6nm bandpass. There are no reviews yet, so I realise I am taking a bit of a risk. I am thinking that even if they are slightly off band (as we know some Optolong filters can be) 6nm may be wide enough to make this less of a problem. As for halos, fingers crossed!

I'll report back

• Phishin_phool likes this

#64 Tapio

Tapio

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----
  • Loc: Tampere, Finland

Posted 27 November 2022 - 12:34 PM

So I just did a search for duoband filters and it seems that ZWO and Optolong are the only ones that offer filters in 1.25" size.

I just would like to have a filter I could use with camera optics.

Geoptic has EOS adapter which accepts 1.25" filter and so far I have used ZWO duoband.

But why is there no better options in 1.25" size ?

#65 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Cosmos

Posted 27 November 2022 - 03:35 PM

So I just did a search for duoband filters and it seems that ZWO and Optolong are the only ones that offer filters in 1.25" size.

I just would like to have a filter I could use with camera optics.

Geoptic has EOS adapter which accepts 1.25" filter and so far I have used ZWO duoband.

But why is there no better options in 1.25" size ?

Because they want to charge more, so they focus for cameras of say APS-C size and full frame, or even cameras with long back focus so that 1.25" isn't proper choice, i really don't know, but to me i am now trying not going with 1.25" filters for DSO anymore or any longer, only for planetary yes.

#66 DeepSky Di

DeepSky Di

Vanguard

• -----
  • Moderators

Posted 27 November 2022 - 04:22 PM

As well as the Askar 3nm duoband Ha / Oiii filter, there is a new pair of 6nm filters - the D1 Ha / Oiii and the D2 Sii / Oiii - each is $279 or $549 together from Agena. View into Space on YouTube discussed these recently - the point being, if you were going to get an Sii filter to add to an existing Ha / Oiii duoband, why not get another duoband that will capture extra Oiii at the same time. The Sii / Oiii filter is "coming soon".

#67 elmiko

elmiko

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 27 November 2022 - 04:40 PM

I use the L-enhance and L-Extreme filters... The L-Extreme filter produces halos around some stars at times... Easily fixed in post processing.

#68 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Cosmos

Posted 27 November 2022 - 06:00 PM

For those Duoband filters, i still not interested or can't trust any that having OIII under Bortle 8/9, in my area i used Optolong OIII and SII both are 6.5nm, and both were terrible for me, even Optolong Ha 7nm wasn't any much good against AD 5nm or Antlia 3nm, but my Chroma OIII/SII both 3nm are awesome fantastic, i don't have any OIII/SII 5nm to test or even a better 6nm, so if that duoband having OIII or SII at 5-7nm i don't think it will do any better job for me in our Bortle sky, and the only thing that stopped me from getting Optolong L-Ultimate is the tiny minimal halo off center, and Antlia dual band ALP-T isn't 3nm.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics