•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

NINA starting frame number, how is it getting assigned?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 jrmagill

jrmagill

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 August 2022 - 05:32 PM

I use NINA to manage my imaging sessions and really like it in general.  But it has a few quirks.  One is the starting frame number that is put in the file name.  When I began using version 2 the starting frame number was usually not 0 as it was with prior versions.   Sometimes it starts by adding 1 to the frame number from the previous night.   How do you control this?   Cleaning out the folder where images are going to be saved seems to help.  But I think you need to clean out the folder prior to starting NINA.  Resetting the sequence imaging controls does not seem to help (simple sequence or advanced sequence).   If you shoot one test image, throw it away (delete it), the next frame always seems to have the frame number of the test image incremented by 1.   I've almost given up trying to control this and just live with the results.  I'm using the current official release of NINA, version 2.0.   Advice appreciated!   Thanks    --  Jim

Edited by jrmagill, 18 August 2022 - 11:18 PM.

#2 Phishin_phool

Phishin_phool

Viking 1

• Loc: Ohio

Posted 18 August 2022 - 11:47 PM

There must be something in the set-up (naming files ) area. I use NINA and my file numbers always reset to zero. I bumped my scope when taking flats the other day so I killed the process and restarted same folder with the other results in there and it still resets my count to zero.

#3 scotty38

scotty38

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Lincolnshire UK

Posted 19 August 2022 - 02:07 AM

Are you using saved sequences and are you resetting them?

#4 nebulasaurus

nebulasaurus

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Mostly Cloudy New Hampshire

Posted 19 August 2022 - 03:06 AM

There’s a plunging for that. I don’t use it.  It’s called setnum,  or sernum of something like that.

#5 scotty38

scotty38

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 19 August 2022 - 03:21 AM

There’s a plunging for that. I don’t use it.  It’s called setnum,  or sernum of something like that.

Starting Sequence Number

#6 Phishin_phool

Phishin_phool

Viking 1

• Loc: Ohio

Posted 19 August 2022 - 10:03 AM

A mixture of many, saved sequences, new sequences and sometimes just imaging capture - always when I stop and then restart imaging my count goes back to zero UNLESS I press stop in a sequence and then resume that sequence.

#7 jrmagill

jrmagill

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 August 2022 - 09:45 PM

There must be something in the set-up (naming files ) area. I use NINA and my file numbers always reset to zero. I bumped my scope when taking flats the other day so I killed the process and restarted same folder with the other results in there and it still resets my count to zero.

I've looked in the set-up area and have not found any controls for the resetting the FRAMENR which is the keyword that gets written into the file name.    You note that your "file numbers always reset to zero".   This is my experience too  --  but only for the Simple Sequencer.   Are you using the Simple Sequencer or the Advanced?   This is NOT the case for the Advanced Sequencer.    See my next post below ......    --  Jim

#8 jrmagill

jrmagill

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 August 2022 - 10:14 PM

With comments suggesting that FRAMENR is predictable in some cases, I decided to do some tests.   This question is a convenient one in that tests are be run during the day and not take up valuable imaging time.

So I started with the Simple Sequencer.   As noted in an earlier post, image files saved by the Simple Sequencer do indeed have their frame number reset when a target (sequence) is loaded from a saved target file.   So images start out with a frame number of zero and increment from there.  If you read the same target in again, (or a different target), the starting frame number will again be zero.   After a sequence executes and is reset using the "Reset Progress ..." button near the bottom of the screen the frame number continues to increment from the end point of the previous execution.   So the only way to get back to zero frame number is to create a new sequence or read an existing sequence from a saved file.

For the Advanced Sequencer the behavior above is true only if an advanced sequence file is saved prior to any execution.   If you execute an advanced sequence and save the sequence, reading the saved sequence will generate frame numbers starting where the first execution ended (and incremented by one).   Once you have saved images with an advanced sequence you can never get back to zero frame number.   You can reset the progress on the instruction or reset the progress of the entire sequence and the frame number is NOT reset.    I am using a smart exposure (several actually).   You can add a new smart exposure and this new instruction will indeed have a frame number that starts from zero.   I suspect you could build an exposure sequence using a template and then the frame numbers would start from zero.   My habit is to shoot the same target on multiple nights and I save an advanced sequence for the target.   On subsequent nights, I use the saved sequence as a starting point, but I want the frame number to start from zero.   Now I know that the only way to get the frame number to start at zero is to save the sequence prior to actually using it.   Once you use it, the frame count can not be reset.  

Does anyone have a different experience with advanced sequencer?    Am I missing a key step?      --  Jim

#9 jrmagill

jrmagill

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 August 2022 - 10:17 PM

Yes, see previous post for more details ...........

#10 jrmagill

jrmagill

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 August 2022 - 10:26 PM

As noted by Scotty38 this plugin is called Starting Sequence Number.   I have not used this plugin, but might try it.   The description for the plugin states that the "value is actually a simple offset from the default index, 0".    In my case, I have a non-zero default and would need a negative offset to get to zero.  And I would need to know/remember the needed offset.   I would rather have the sequence just start at zero.   From today's testing outlined in a previous post I now know that if I save an advanced sequence without actually using it to capture images then I can save and then read this sequence and it will indeed start with a frame number of zero.   If I used the sequence prior to saving it I can never get back to frame number of zero.     --  Jim

#11 scotty38

scotty38

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 20 August 2022 - 02:20 AM

It's not something that's been too much of a bother for me as I've tended to "sort" on target then date in the first instance although quirks of numbering have not been lost on me at times. I'll have another play when I get chance (although it won't be until at least tomorrow) because I did think resetting etc an existing saved sequence "worked" but I do accept the experience described here suggests otherwise.....

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics