•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Zoom Binacular - Sakura 15-180X72

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
67 replies to this topic

#51 CESDewar

CESDewar

GorillAstronomer

Posted 03 May 2008 - 10:14 AM

So...... these binoculars are reviewed as: "Sakura binoculars are known for being one of the best binoculars exceptionally designed...". Hard to blame someone for thinking that they won't be some of the worst binoculars ever put on the market. It's not uncommon to read extraordinary claims for quality or performance from absolutely *BLEEP* products, and the idea that a description might have to be at least credible is often of no concern.

I think though that one can safely say these are stunning binoculars - useful for stunning attackers at night, or perhaps that they just leave one stunned that one wasted money on them. :lol:

Oops, I shouldn't have said that.... I can see it coming: "... and an experienced binocular enthusiast on the respected Cloudy Nights forum had this to say about these binoculars: "these are stunning binoculars..." :bawling:

#52 dOP

dOP

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 03 May 2008 - 10:59 AM

Okay,

My turn has come, not sure if I can clarify this a bit for you since a lot of very knowledgeable people (way more than me) also tried and succeeded only in part...

You WILL NOT IDENTIFY ANYONE with a 14 power bino at 5 miles, let alone "see the dust"... Or with a 20X... Or with a 30X...

Let's see:

An amplification by 10 (10x), means that the object appears to you as it would (naked eye) 10 times closer. Let's say that in order to identify a person you need to see that person at most at 0.125 miles (200m) away - just a wild guess to give you an example. Now you can easily see what kind of amplification (POWER) you need to identify a person at those 5 miles:

5.0 / 0.125 = 40 X

What kind of equipment can provide you that?

You need an aperture of at least 80mm to get a reasonable exit pupil, so:

a) A quality binoscope, "well" collimated.
b) A spotting scope.
c) A telescope.
d) A Fujinon 40x150 ;)

Hope this helps.
Diogo.

#53 Joe Ogiba

Joe Ogiba

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 03 May 2008 - 09:17 PM

Objective Tube Diameter(mm): 100
Objective Glass Diameter(mm): 80

NEW Sakura 20-360X180 Zoom Binoculars ; 100mm Tube(80mm glass) giant Binoculars :roflmao:

#54 BillC

BillC

on a new path

Posted 03 May 2008 - 10:28 PM

P. T. Barnum did not say "There's one born every minute." But someone did. He was, of course, correct.

Sadly, it wouldn't be so if it were not so commonplace for unscrupulous people to take advantage of kind hearted neighbors.

Cheers,

Bill

#55 rushintuit

rushintuit

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 03 May 2008 - 10:44 PM

"100mm Tube(80mm glass) giant Binoculars"

At least we know what happened to the nitrogen.

#56 mostlyd

mostlyd

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 01 June 2008 - 10:28 AM

Hello everyone.
I need some clarifications for a few problems concerning this family of binoculars... the super zoom ones. I got my hands on a no-name pair of 10-80x70. From what I read here some time ago i was expecting to see quite literally nothing at the extreme end of the zoom range. What I did see was however quite acceptable by a reasonable standard. Of course there is no way you can hold them steady, you need to use support. And it is also true you need quite good lighting conditions to see well. But other than that, the experience was positive. The image was not "big as a dime", and not fuzzy/dusty/unclear at all. One disadvantage of looking through them for more than 15 minutes is the eye fatigue due to the adjustments one makes to focus the image.

I am indeed puzzled by the difference between the expectations I had from reading here some things which made (and still do!) perfect sense, and the hands on experience with the binoculars, which was (by my standards) good.

What could be the explanation? Are my standards too low? :) The technical specifications written on the piece have nothing to do with what it actually delivers (it does not magnify 80 times but by much less)? Is there a way to accurately evaluate the magnification capabilities of the binoculars?

Please tell me I'm crazy, and I have a 20x70 piece (or something along those lines) labeled as 10-80x70 for marketing reasons, because otherwise I am really tempted to see what the 20-180x100 is all about. :)

#57 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 01 June 2008 - 11:10 AM

One disadvantage of looking through them for more than 15 minutes is the eye fatigue due to the adjustments one makes to focus the image.

eye fatigue is not caused by adjustment one makes to focus. If that were the case all user of binoviewers and binocular telescopes would be reporting eye fatigue all the time. Eye fatigue is caused by images that are not aligned. So there would be some mis-colllimation in this pair.

There are ways to test magnification, but I think none of them can be measured precissely enough for the average user to measure up around 70x-80x. However, if you care to try, they refer to the Bbest Of thread at the top of this forum and follow the links to measuring and testing aspects of binoculars.

edz

#58 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

Posted 01 June 2008 - 11:31 AM

Hello Mostly ,

Welcome to the forum.

I can't help but wonder what the letter " d " stands for after your name ! :-)

I am intrigued by a couple of things here .

One is that it has been a long time since I saw a NEW binocular without any name at all on it , and the other is that I've never seen a 10-80 x 70 zoom binocular either !

Could you post a photo of this model ?

One quick way of checking if the magnification is anything like a true 80x -- and of whether or not the optics are as good as you describe , is if at all possible , to try reading a vehicle license plate from a distance of about one and a half miles .

I've found , in cool clear conditions , with the sun behind me , I can just about do that with around 80x magnification on a 76mm scope .

Regards
Kenny

#59 mostlyd

mostlyd

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 01 June 2008 - 12:44 PM

Kenny, this one has only this written on it:
"traveler 10-80x70
56m(10x)1000m"

I imagine "traveler" is not the firm but some kind of marketing label. I'll ask the person that gave it to me if there is a box with the name of the producer, or something like that.

A Google search for 10-80x70 took me to some Bresser binoculars like this piece. My piece looks something like that but it is obviously not the same thing. I cannot make a picture right now, maybe I'll get my hands on a camera sometimes soon.

About the license plates: I could read some with no problems at a distance of about 1km (roughly - I'm not that good with distances). At a significantly greater distance (I estimate mabe 2,5 km) I can see the plate but absolutely nothing on it. My guess is that I could read the thing at maybe 1,5 km. So 1,5 miles... no. Hope I did not make a mess of appreciating distances. :)

Edz, thanks for clearing that up about the eye fatigue. I looked through some of the links in that thread and it seems indeed difficult for me to accurately evaluate the magnification power of this thing.

I've given some thought to this situation and maybe my expectations are really too low. I never used a "good" pair of binoculars, and that's why I cannot compare. It just seems to me that, if you want to see something that is not far far away (let's say it is around 500m to 1km away) but you want to see it in as much detail as possible (which means big magnification is important), this pair I've got is... acceptable. :confused:

#60 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

Posted 01 June 2008 - 01:04 PM

Well , if you can read a vehicle license from even just one kilometre away , that is not bad at all , but gives little indication of the actual magnification .

I can resolve those details at around 20x from that distance through my scope .

With a field of view of only 56 metres at 1000 metres , I feel sure that if you were to look through a regular , even average quality 10 x 42 binocular , you would suddenly realise that what you are used to is like looking through a straw by comparison !

No matter how well this particular model may work for you , it would DEFINITELY be a mistake to expect 72mm aperture , or possibly even less - as these tend to be , to handle 180x magnification , at this level of optical quality .

Even the very best , multi - thousand dollar MONOSCOPIC gear struggles with that kind of aperture / magnification ratio for daytime viewing at any great distance .

Regards
Kenny

#61 hallelujah

hallelujah

Cosmos

Posted 01 June 2008 - 06:27 PM

One is that it has been a long time since I saw a NEW binocular without any name at all on it , and the other is that I've never seen a 10-80 x 70 zoom binocular either !

Could you post a photo of this model ?

Kenny

Kenny,

How about this one? This is an internet translation. :(

Bresser 10-80x70 Reminds me of the Yukon models I've seen on the internet.

#62 mostlyd

mostlyd

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 03 June 2008 - 04:04 AM

Kenny, can you please tell me what kind of instrument do you have (the one that sees the plates at 1,5 miles away)?

#63 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

Posted 03 June 2008 - 11:25 AM

Hi mostlyd ,

It is a Televue 76 APO telescope , using a 18mm Televue Radian eyepiece , with 3x Televue Barlow lens .

The magnification using that combination is 3 x 26.7x , which yields almost exactly 80x .

Kind regards
Kenny

#64 mostlyd

mostlyd

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 03 June 2008 - 12:59 PM

I ordered the Sakura thing today. I'm filled with anticipation. I know it is not a very smart way to spend $100 but there are some things one must simply try. :) Especially I am interested in a comparison with the piece that I have.

Thank you for the info Kenny. I hope I'll find some store where to try such a telescope (or at least some good telescope or binoculars). I am really curious now about seing a superlative among such devices.

#65 KennyJ

KennyJ

The British Flash

Posted 03 June 2008 - 03:00 PM

You are more than welcome , my friend !

I forgot to add that for most kinds of longer distance daytime viewing , I actually prefer to use my Zeiss 85mm Diascope , with 20-60x zoom lens .

It offers a straight - through view , which I prefer due to needing to stand very straight due to a minor back problem , offers CORRECT / normal way around images , as opposed to the reversed left to right of the Televue without an erecting prism , is considrably lighter in weight than the TeleVue 76 , and is waterproof , which the TeleVue is not .

However , there is no doubt in my mind that the TeleVue is in a higher class , certainly in optical quality and probably in build quality , too .

Good luck with your $100 gamble !

I have a distinct feeling you are going to need it :-)

Kind Regards
Kenny

#66 DJB

DJB

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 04 June 2008 - 04:06 AM

Hi Kenny,

These Televues are quite nice, aren't they. I have one also, and I am always impressed with it. I have just too many oculars for it, but each does its job.

Best regards,
Dave.

#67 Simon S

Simon S

Vanguard

Posted 24 August 2008 - 05:35 AM

The other big problem with zoom binoculars is the collimation shifts when zooming on the ones I had. I learnt after that.

#68 DJB

DJB

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 25 August 2008 - 01:33 AM

Hi Simon,

Right on! I purchased one once. The "remaining parts" are in my workshop for future hardware. Never again. Learnt my lesson too, but I can't believe I did such a dumb thing. I even knew better.

Best regards,
Dave.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics