•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Me and My Unitron's!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

#1 Awesomelenny

Awesomelenny

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 10 November 2006 - 08:08 PM

Hi there Unitron fans,

I am not sure if this is really the place for this but to the moderators...hey, eat your heart out! I got the nicest Unitrons around the town! :jump:

Well, I was in my observatory tonight playing with my toys. I have my Losmandy mount set up, my 14" Meade LX200R setting on top of the TV in there, waiting for its dovetail setup so that I can mount it and get started. I put my Moonlite focuser on it that I kept from the 8 inch Meade SCT OTA that I sold just recently. I got a flange adapter from Scott Losmandy so that I could use it on the 14 incher.

In the meantime, I turned the 4 inch Unitron on the Moon which was just about 30 degrees high and just as I was about to take pictures, the doggone fog clouds came roaring in from the northwest. :foreheadslap:

Attached Thumbnails

• 1245651-uniwrk.jpg

#2 Awesomelenny

Awesomelenny

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 10 November 2006 - 08:12 PM

I had to work fast, and ended up taking at the f/15 prime focus, a most ridiculous set of exposures to get anything~ like 1/4 second at ISO 800 !!! But ahaaa, using Registax, I stacked 2 good images together, processed them in Adobe Photoshop, applied all kinds of junk on the work-in-process like Gradient Exterminator, Unsharp Masking, Gaussian Blur, curves, etc... until I got this...

Attached Thumbnails

• 1245662-UniMoonweb.jpg

#3 Awesomelenny

Awesomelenny

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 10 November 2006 - 08:23 PM

As of this writing I now own this lovely 4 inch Unitron, with a 60mmx900mm guide scope which is actually a OTA from the Model 114. This particular model was in excellent condition which came with a altazimuth mount that was in need of work. I fully restored that and was able to scavenge around for some good parts to replace and now it is fully functional and in pristine condition. I also got lucky on ebay and secured a very nice altazimuth mount there too. Both altazimuth mounts are from Model 114's. I also have another Model 114 OTA but that really needs work on the tube. I worked on the dents but those are really hard to finish off smooth. But I won't give up. I am still looking around for the exact tube thickness id and od to replace that tube or continue to work on the older tube until it is smooth as original.

Also, if you look closely at that guide scope on the 4 inch above, you will notice the white "safety" rings that I built from PVC pipe pieces cut to 3/8" wide and fitted in place there inside the rings so that the thumbscrews don't scratch the painted tube which is virtually mint.

I just got hold of an old 2.4 inch equatorial mount that needs work on really bad. That is going to be my winter restoration project!

#4 Joel F.

Joel F.

Apollo

Posted 11 November 2006 - 05:21 AM

Nice scope enjoy.

#5 firestar

firestar

Born to be Mild

Posted 11 November 2006 - 12:32 PM

how does the multiple ep holder work?
any closeup photos?
nice scope!

#6 ngc6475

ngc6475

Fearless Spectator

Posted 11 November 2006 - 02:00 PM

I am officially jealous, Lenny! Congratulations on the beautiful equipment!

#7 JWW

JWW

Apollo

Posted 11 November 2006 - 04:23 PM

I also have another Model 114 OTA but that really needs work on the tube. I worked on the dents but those are really hard to finish off smooth. But I won't give up. I am still looking around for the exact tube thickness id and od to replace that tube or continue to work on the older tube until it is smooth as original.

Hey Lenny,

Nice job on everything. Exactly what are you looking for dimensionally for the OTA?

-JWW:>)

#8 Serenity Now

Serenity Now

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 12 November 2006 - 05:19 AM

So thats where they all went! :foreheadslap: :grin:

Really cool rig and great restoration work...awesome Lenny

#9 Awesomelenny

Awesomelenny

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 12 November 2006 - 07:36 PM

Hi JW,

Actually the aluminum tube for the guide scope is exactly 25.5 inches long with an id wall of 2.4375" (2 7/16) As for the wall thickness, this is the problem, I don't have calipers to figure that out but it appears to be definitely no greater than .0625" (1/16"). I have been searching the internet for that kind of wall thickness with a id of what I have indicated above, but seems like I can't find anyone that could supply me this.

Might you know?

Len

#10 Mark Lancaster

Mark Lancaster

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 12 November 2006 - 11:40 PM

Lenny, are you sure the tube is NOT metric? You may have to search for an overseas supplier. Just my $0.02.

Mark

#11 JWW

JWW

Apollo

Posted 13 November 2006 - 12:14 AM

Lenny,

You should give Barry a call at D&G. He's been extremely helpful to me.

-JWW:

#12 Ralph Marantino

Ralph Marantino

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----

Posted 13 November 2006 - 08:29 AM

I know EXACTLY how you feel Lenny I am enjoying my "new" 130mm f8 Brandon APO in its Unitron hardware built like a battle :bow:ship

Attached Thumbnails

• 1249497-Brandon130 (4).jpg

#13 Robert Provin

Robert Provin

Viking 1

Posted 13 November 2006 - 11:58 AM

That's one gorgeous setup Len! :bow:

Best regards,
Robert

#14 Mert

Mert

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 13 November 2006 - 01:26 PM

Oh Wow!!!!!

That remembers me to my old days doing astronomy
with a friend of mine who had the same 4", however
he had no guide scope, but sure the mount :-))))
rock stable.
It was simply awful, great, out of this world,
and so on.
For me in these days it was too expensive, but I
bought a 3" OTA and made a mount for it.
Nowadays I still have it, and it still performs
nice, even for a 3" aperture :cool:

Congrats, Lenny, simply beautifull!!

Mert

#15 Clive Gibbons

Clive Gibbons

Mostly Harmless

Posted 16 November 2006 - 10:37 AM

Also, if you look closely at that guide scope on the 4 inch above, you will notice the white "safety" rings that I built from PVC pipe pieces cut to 3/8" wide and fitted in place there inside the rings so that the thumbscrews don't scratch the painted tube which is virtually mint.

Those safety rings are a great idea, Lenny.

Quite the "Uni-Zoo" ya got there!! :waytogo:

#16 Awesomelenny

Awesomelenny

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 19 November 2006 - 12:13 AM

Uhm I don't know why but lady luck appears to be on my side for a change. I just won on ebay, a 60mm x 700mm Unitron guide scope which is the proper one that should be with the 4 inch Model 160. So now that frees up my 60mm x 900mm Unitron OTA from its temporary service on the 4 incher as the guide scope so that it can function on a Unitron 2.4" equatorial mount. That mount is Polarex. Virtually the same as the Unitron. I got it from Europe. Now that needs to be cleaned and restored. I will post pictures of the final step in the retoration of the Model 160 that I now can lay claim as an owner. Really, just placing the old Unitron Model 220 astro camera onto the 4 inch telescope renders this setup as a Model 166V. ( I have that camera too) :jump:

In the mail today I received the 1982 Unitron Catalog which is in excellent condition from an astro friend of mine that just bought something from me. In our discussion of the sale, we chatted to some length about our hobbies and in that the subject of Unitron telescopes came up. That is when he mentioned owning a catalog but he had no use for it so he mailed it to me. It was well cared for too.

In that catalog was a wealth of information regarding not only the telescopes of that era, but also the lengthy line of accessories that were also sold with their line of telescopes.

#17 Jae

Jae

Apollo

Posted 19 November 2006 - 12:51 AM

Hey Len,

I was wondering why the crazy dudes were going mad bidding on a 60mm 700fl guide scope as if it were more desirable that the 900mm Unitrons. Now I see.....anyone trying to complete a photo equatorial would find greater value for it.

I never looked to see who won...congratulations, now we'll both have complete 4 inch photo equatorials to compare - made by the same darn company, if not the brand. :applause: :jump:

Mine's coming with a 50mm guidescope though.

Jae

#18 Awesomelenny

Awesomelenny

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 20 November 2006 - 07:17 AM

Hey Jae, don't forget, post a ton of pictures on that beauty, ok?

#19 Jae

Jae

Apollo

Posted 22 November 2006 - 11:20 PM

Ok ! It shipped today in 3 boxes from sunny Ca. Double boxed, massively bubble wrapped, insured. Should get it next week. :yay: :jump: :grin:

#20 kysunlover

kysunlover

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 24 November 2006 - 05:26 PM

That is such an awesome setup!! I am envious!!

Greg

#21 Awesomelenny

Awesomelenny

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 25 November 2006 - 08:38 PM

Thanks Greg!

#22 kysunlover

kysunlover

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 25 November 2006 - 11:50 PM

Len,

I don't have a classic scope, but I do have a 4" f15 coming from Parallax for a little old school feel. I snagged an old Meade 826 EQ head for it today from my club president. I see a lot of classic long focal length refractors attached to those old mount heads, so I thought it was a good choice. I can see myself trying to find my very own old refactor sometime. That bug has crept up and bit me I think.

GM

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics