•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Nextdome and Snow Load

Observatory
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MikeMcBride

MikeMcBride

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 September 2022 - 03:31 PM

I am contemplating an observatory, given its ability to be taken down and moved, I landed on Nextdome at the moment. I am concerned about snow load and it’s ability to withstand. Anyone with experience with Nextdome and snow load I would much appreciate your opinion. I live in an area of Canada that can experience a sizable dump and because of travel it might be up to a week to clear. 

#2 Stevegeo

Stevegeo

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Finger lakes area

Posted 05 September 2022 - 04:29 PM

Domes themselves hold up very well in extreme snow loads . Mine a homebuilt, and far from smooth has held up with snow dumps of 4ft PLUS .. AT ONE TIME ..

Now if you WAX IT,, about nothing sticks ...  i use Turtlewax and a touch up of RAINEX. 

• archer1960 and MikeMcBride like this

#3 MikeMcBride

MikeMcBride

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 08 September 2022 - 12:44 PM

Domes themselves hold up very well in extreme snow loads . Mine a homebuilt, and far from smooth has held up with snow dumps of 4ft PLUS .. AT ONE TIME ..

Now if you WAX IT,, about nothing sticks ...  i use Turtlewax and a touch up of RAINEX. 

Thanks for that information, waxing and RAINEX? I have used both but not at the same time and on the same surface, never contemplated that! I will definitely keep that in mind

• Sasquachh likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Observatory

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics