•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Slide Off Roof Obsy & Todmorden Pier

Observatory Imaging Astrophotography
  • Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 N1ghtSc0p3

N1ghtSc0p3

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 05 September 2022 - 08:58 PM

A couple years ago I built a Todmorden Pier. Then I read Chris White's thread on his small, slide-off roof observatory. I've decided that I wanted to marry the two up, and build a small "doghouse" shed up around my pier. Borrowing heavily from Chris W.'s thread, I started sketching out what it would look like, and figuring out what I'd need to order, as well as visit the big-box stores for. One design change that I made was the top plates on the side walls; pressure-treated wood dries out quickly in the S. Texas heat, and warps pretty badly. I looked around and settled on 3" steel C-channel, which I think will have a couple of advantages. 1) It shouldn't warp or twist. 2) I might not need diagonal braces on the back side. Shown below are the fruits of my Labor Day weekend. (BTW, I *hate* digging holes in the S. Texas ground...)

Deck rim joists built in the garage and moved to site, then deck block locations were marked out.

IMG_1275.jpg

• ScottS likes this

#2 N1ghtSc0p3

N1ghtSc0p3

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 05 September 2022 - 09:00 PM

Excavation for deck blocks started.

IMG_1277.jpg

Unfortunately, after this photo was taken, and after 5 out of the 6 holes were dug, I discovered that the markings were a little off. Yes, I did set the frame on the blocks to find the right location...but something was off. Anyways, I was able to get all the blocks in the right location.

• ScottS and texastrain11 like this

#3 N1ghtSc0p3

N1ghtSc0p3

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 05 September 2022 - 09:01 PM

Deck frame set and leveled.

IMG_1280.jpg

#4 N1ghtSc0p3

N1ghtSc0p3

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 05 September 2022 - 09:07 PM

Decking installed, and I'm testing the motion extents of my telescope to make sure I have enough room (I do, thankfully!!)

IMG_1286.jpg

• ScottS and texastrain11 like this

#5 N1ghtSc0p3

N1ghtSc0p3

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 05 September 2022 - 09:07 PM

Testing the park position of the mount.

IMG_1285.jpg

• ScottS likes this

#6 N1ghtSc0p3

N1ghtSc0p3

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 05 September 2022 - 09:10 PM

First two walls framed. I put the full 10' length of the C-channel up to check fit, and it was at this point I realized I might need to make some adjustments to the rear/side walls.

IMG_1291.jpg

• ScottS likes this

#7 N1ghtSc0p3

N1ghtSc0p3

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 05 September 2022 - 09:13 PM

And here we can see the issue...there is not enough room for the C-channel. So I am going to adjust the corner there with the cross brace...basically take out enough to allow a 2x6 to lay flat (and as the top plate, in place of the 2x4), and give enough room for the C-channel.

IMG_1292.jpg

• ScottS likes this

#8 Xeroid

Xeroid

Gemini

• Loc: USA

Posted 05 September 2022 - 09:52 PM

Great start, keep looking UP!!

• N1ghtSc0p3 likes this

#9 N1ghtSc0p3

N1ghtSc0p3

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 06 September 2022 - 08:38 PM

I was able to finish the side walls (and the rear wall modification) this evening...

IMG_1296.jpg

The C-channel fits pretty well I think!

• ScottS, speedster and texastrain11 like this

#10 N1ghtSc0p3

N1ghtSc0p3

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 06 September 2022 - 08:39 PM

And the third wall is up...

IMG_1298.jpg

• ScottS and CCD-Freak like this

#11 tommyboy

tommyboy

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 07 September 2022 - 08:31 AM

I was able to finish the side walls (and the rear wall modification) this evening...

attachicon.gifIMG_1296.jpg

The C-channel fits pretty well I think!

I'm wondering if that little bit of unsupported roof weight will cause an issue later on? Or will the 4th wall take up the weight? (I'm not a builder).

#12 N1ghtSc0p3

N1ghtSc0p3

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 07 September 2022 - 08:49 AM

I'm wondering if that little bit of unsupported roof weight will cause an issue later on? Or will the 4th wall take up the weight? (I'm not a builder)

The weight of the roof will be handled by the side walls. The C-channel will be carrying the weight of the roof on the casters + the drawer slides. 

There will be a front wall that should tie the wall structure together. 

Thanks for asking!

#13 texastrain11

texastrain11

Explorer 1

• Loc: Tuttle, Oklahoma

Posted 11 September 2022 - 02:56 PM

The use of the channel is an excellent idea.  A proper amount of primer and an Emron / Epoxy paint finish will help with later weathering effects.  Another method is to use aluminum channel/angle with proper under supporting.  Also, consider drilling water exit holes in the base of the channels.  If not, outside rainfall could "channel" it way to the interior of your observatory.  I have seen some roll offs built with a minor lower angled end at the terminus of roll out.  This helps with rain penetration on any observatory, all drains away from structure.  If roof is substantial enough, may need consideration of a motor/drive assist.  But, this is a feature that is always considered over time, anyway.

Great looking progress, sir.  When in Houston area, my greatest concern was humidity and city light pollution... along with occasional tropical storms... and mosquitos.....

Clead skies!

Jesse

• N1ghtSc0p3 likes this

#14 N1ghtSc0p3

N1ghtSc0p3

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 13 September 2022 - 09:39 AM

The use of the channel is an excellent idea.  A proper amount of primer and an Emron / Epoxy paint finish will help with later weathering effects.  Another method is to use aluminum channel/angle with proper under supporting.  Also, consider drilling water exit holes in the base of the channels.  If not, outside rainfall could "channel" it way to the interior of your observatory.  I have seen some roll offs built with a minor lower angled end at the terminus of roll out.  This helps with rain penetration on any observatory, all drains away from structure.  If roof is substantial enough, may need consideration of a motor/drive assist.  But, this is a feature that is always considered over time, anyway.

Great looking progress, sir.  When in Houston area, my greatest concern was humidity and city light pollution... along with occasional tropical storms... and mosquitos.....

Clead skies!

Jesse

Thanks Jesse. I'm pleased with how the roof slides now. I needed to use a planer to knock down one of the side 'rails' (really a 2x6 to which the drawer slides are mounted), but all is working well now. Definitely appreciate the drainage hole idea, and the right type of paint to use. I plan on cutting down the c-channels to the length required to support the casters, and once all is said and done, I'll worry about painting them. As it sits now, I won't have to use any assist...it rolls really well and I can open/close with one hand. 

• texastrain11 likes this

#15 N1ghtSc0p3

N1ghtSc0p3

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 13 September 2022 - 09:42 AM

I have been making progress...and 3 of the 4 walls now have siding, and the side walls also have the flashing installed. I'm hoping to get the front wall done, door framed and installed, and the gables sided in the next couple days, and *hopefully* the roof added by the weekend. I will post pics, but was working through sundown last night on it and forgot to take pics! Thanks for following along!

• CCD-Freak and texastrain11 like this

#16 N1ghtSc0p3

N1ghtSc0p3

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 13 September 2022 - 09:22 PM

A couple of update pics...

IMG_1314_result.jpg

The roof framing installed, after tuning the fitment of the drawer slides

• ScottS, CCD-Freak, mikerepp and 3 others like this

#17 N1ghtSc0p3

N1ghtSc0p3

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 13 September 2022 - 09:23 PM

Roof closed

IMG_1315_result.jpg

• ScottS, CCD-Freak, mikerepp and 1 other like this

#18 N1ghtSc0p3

N1ghtSc0p3

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 13 September 2022 - 09:24 PM

Siding and flashing...

IMG_1318_result.jpg

Yep...that little section in the top right was added because when I finished the first part of the siding (the front), I realized that I didn't have enough length on the remaining part, so I needed to add a little section there. I figure with the flashing, it should be fine. If not, I can replace it pretty easily.

Edited by N1ghtSc0p3, 13 September 2022 - 09:27 PM.

• ScottS likes this

#19 N1ghtSc0p3

N1ghtSc0p3

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 13 September 2022 - 09:28 PM

The rear wall. On the right I used a circular saw to cut out the little parts here and there to make it fit...on the left I got smart(er) and used a jigsaw to make cleaner cuts.

IMG_1320_result.jpg

• ScottS likes this

#20 N1ghtSc0p3

N1ghtSc0p3

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 13 September 2022 - 09:29 PM

Detail of the siding cut around the channel. Here you can see the ragged nature of using a circular saw for fine cuts.doah.gif I have since remedied this with a jigsaw...sigh2.gif 

IMG_1319_result.jpg

Edited by N1ghtSc0p3, 13 September 2022 - 09:31 PM.

• ScottS likes this

#21 N1ghtSc0p3

N1ghtSc0p3

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 16 September 2022 - 09:58 AM

I got the basic roof installation completed yesterday. I still need to add the foam weather stripping under the cap and the lower edges of the roof, and along the outer sidewall truss. But I did get the roofing felt down under the roof and the panels are all sealed where they overlap. There's no astro equipment in there yet, so if it does rain, nothing will get ruined. Hopefully I'll get the weather stripping done early next week. The door has been framed, but I ran out of energy and time, so that will have to wait as well. Thanks for checking in!

Obsy Roof.jpeg  

• ScottS, drprovi57, R Botero and 2 others like this

#22 N1ghtSc0p3

N1ghtSc0p3

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 21 September 2022 - 11:29 AM

Door installed, sided, and (not visible) weather stripping is complete. This weekend I intend to add the trim and paint and shore up the last few weather-proofing bits. 

Obsy_Door.JPG

• Dagobert, archer1960 and texastrain11 like this

#23 Cinnamon

Cinnamon

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 07 October 2022 - 01:51 PM

Have you considered ventilation to keep the interior reasonably cool? I was wondering about a temperature sensitive fan that would keep it from getting too hot inside?

• texastrain11 likes this

#24 N1ghtSc0p3

N1ghtSc0p3

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 07 October 2022 - 02:17 PM

Have you considered ventilation to keep the interior reasonably cool? I was wondering about a temperature sensitive fan that would keep it from getting too hot.

Yes. The ridge cap on the roof is, in effect, a manner of ventilation. The roof panels don't meet, there's about a 2" gap between them, so hot air will rise up to the ridge. And the ends of the ridge are open. I *did* put some balled up copper mesh to prevent wasps/flies/small birds from getting in on either end. I also plan to add blue/pink foam insulation on the roof and likely the walls...and that should help with radiated and conducted heat. Eventually I might put in a thermostat controlled fan on one end, with the solar panel for it mounted on the roof. But so far I haven't noticed a significant difference in inside v. outside temps. 

• Cinnamon and texastrain11 like this

#25 N1ghtSc0p3

N1ghtSc0p3

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 24 October 2022 - 11:12 AM

So I have been remiss in posting...but not in progress!! I finally got my rig re-installed on the pier and polar aligned. I was pleasantly surprised that even through the dis-mounting and re-mounting, the changes weren't that great. So here are a couple pics of the rig in the obsy. 

ObsyRig_1.jpg

And here in the park position: 

ObsyRig_2.jpg

• JohnnyMac, CCD-Freak and texastrain11 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Observatory, Imaging, Astrophotography

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics