•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Workaround for autoguiding an LX90

Meade Equipment SCT
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Chuckthe5th

Chuckthe5th

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Austin, TX

Posted 06 September 2022 - 01:39 PM

I have an old but immaculate Meade 2080 LX2 married successfully to a flood-damaged LX90 mount which I was able to restore fully.

I want to outfit her with an autoguider, but have recently discovered that to use the current mount with an autoguider, I'll need either the long out of production #909 Accessory Port Module or the also out of production Clone from Astrogene.

I've been searching for weeks for either of these to no avail. This does have me wondering, however, if anyone else has come up with a workaround solution in the past few years? (Other than getting a different mount)

Edited by Chuckthe5th, 06 September 2022 - 01:40 PM.

#2 Jim Davis

Jim Davis

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Lewisberry, PA

Posted 06 September 2022 - 02:55 PM

I don't own one, but isn't there an RS232 port on the bottom of the hand controller? You would just need the proper cable and Serial to USB cable to control the mount from a PC. You don't need an ST4 autoguider port to guide.

#3 Jim Davis

Jim Davis

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Lewisberry, PA

Posted 06 September 2022 - 02:56 PM

I think this cable is all you will need: https://www.amazon.c...e/dp/B087CYBS3S

#4 jgraham

jgraham

ISS

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 06 September 2022 - 03:58 PM

I think that is correct. I used to autoguide my LXD75 through the #497 handbox via the old serial #505 cable and PHD plus the necessary ASCOM drivers. The LX90 with a #497 controller should work the same way. #909 modules show up occasionally on the used market.

#5 Cliff Hipsher

Cliff Hipsher

Surveyor 1

• Loc: North Chesterfield, VA

Posted 07 September 2022 - 12:21 PM

@John  You are correct  I have used that exact cable to connect my LXD75 497 hand box to a ZWO ASI Air Plus minicomputer.  I have also connected the 497 to a laptop with a USB to DB style RS-232 serial adapter attached to a DB to RJ cable adapter.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Meade, Equipment, SCT

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics