•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Using Sky Safari 7 Pro with SkyFi on Meade LX200GPS

Meade
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DaveSedona

DaveSedona

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Sedona, AZ

Posted 06 September 2022 - 03:39 PM

I have an older Meade LX200GPS 12" [circa 2007 or so] that I just had completely serviced so everything is working correctly.  I'm trying to connect Sky Safari 7 Pro to the scope using SkyFi via an Android tablet.  I use this successfully (wirelessly) on my Celestron CPC.  The Meade hand control only has 1 connector, unlike the Celestron so I have no way to connect the SkyFi into the hand control.  Does anybody have a method to connect the SkyFi to the Meade?  Wiring diagram and parts list PLEASE!  And which port to connect into on the Meade?

Dave Norton

#2 ButterFly

ButterFly

Soyuz

Posted 06 September 2022 - 04:01 PM

Read through this post: Confusion on LX200GPS & LX200 Classic Serial cable pin-out

You want to get from the phone jack style RS232 port to the computer jack style port on the SkyFi unit.

You can make your own conversion cable using the pinout diagrams from the post above, a phone cable, and a converter from Amazon.  Or, you can just buy one ready made from Meade.

#3 DaveSedona

DaveSedona

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Sedona, AZ

Posted 09 September 2022 - 10:45 PM

I'll be in Flagstaff on Monday.  Should we meet and look at the SkyFi and Meade hand controller?   I can easily bring them.  Contact me by PM here.  Dave

#4 DAVIDG

DAVIDG

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hockessin, De

Posted 10 September 2022 - 10:14 AM

You understand that the you don't connect the  SkyFi module to the hand controller on a LX200GPS but to one of the serial ports on front panel. 

The pinout for the  Celestron serial port on the hand controller  is most likely different then ones of LX200GPS  also the serial port of the LX200GPS has +12 volt on it and the Celestron maybe lower at +5 so you would  need to make a cable to convert the pinout and maybe a voltage regulator to drop the voltage. 

I have made my own Bluetooth and Wifi adapters for my own LX200GPS mount and also my clubs LX200GPS that we use SkySafari to control.

- Dave 

• ButterFly likes this

#5 CltFlyboy

CltFlyboy

Vanguard

• Moderators
  • Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 10 September 2022 - 12:40 PM

As a reminder, no personal information is allowed in posts (email addresses, phone numbers). This is for everyone's safety since this is an open forum accessible across the world.

Thanks!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Meade

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics