•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Does Autostakkert really run the surface stabilization step twice?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Borodog

Borodog

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 15 September 2022 - 09:01 PM

When using Surface image stabilization, Autostakkert appears to run the Surface Stabilization and Buffering and Analysis steps twice. First, when you Analyze, which you are forced to do before you can place alignment points, and again once you click Stack.

Is it really doing those steps twice? If so that might be a legitimate reason to pre-process in PIPP. SS and B&A take 56 minutes on one of my 120 GB lunar SERs, on my 32 core workstation with 256 GB of RAM. If it's doing it twice, which it certainly appears to be, that's kind of absurd.

#2 jeffry7

jeffry7

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 22 September 2022 - 10:19 PM

I do not know for certain, but I suspect the first round is to align the image globally, and the second round is to align, or at least locate, the anchor points.

Planetary System Stacker actually shows statistics for how far off the anchor points are in your images. This gives you an idea about how bad the seeing was for the set off images you selected to stack.

• Borodog likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics